U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:55 AM

267 posts, read 275,951 times

Advertisements

Are the suburbs and other cities around Denver also at as high of an altitude as Denver itself? For example, are cities like Boulder, Broomfield, Aurora, Centennial, Westminster, etc. at the same or higher or lower altitudes than Denver? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:14 PM

3,908 posts, read 5,313,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Are the suburbs and other cities around Denver also at as high of an altitude as Denver itself? For example, are cities like Boulder, Broomfield, Aurora, Centennial, Westminster, etc. at the same or higher or lower altitudes than Denver? Thanks.
how much granularity are we talking about. They're all basically between 4,500 - 6,000 feet, which I consider to be the "same" elevation.

in that part of the country you've got basically the same type of climate/terrain zone at that elevation. The zone changes once you climb into the foothills of the mountains (6,000 +).

Old 05-11-2012, 01:46 PM

8,247 posts, read 13,508,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Are the suburbs and other cities around Denver also at as high of an altitude as Denver itself?
I would say the suburbs north, west, and southwest of Denver are higher, and suburbs east and slightly south are the same or a bit lower, but not by much.

For example, Thornton, Westminster, Northglenn, etc. are north and are probably at about 5300+.

This shot was taken from near the border of Adams County unincorporated, the eastern edge of Westminster, and the southern border of Thornton;

It obviously sits above the Denver Metro a bit.

Now, it would stand to reason that northeast of Denver would be at a lower altitude as this is where the South Platte goes, as it heads diagonally towards Nebraska.

Due west of Denver, like Lakewood, Golden, Morrison, etc., and towards the Ken Caryl area you obviously gain altitude as you're headed towards the Hogback (?) and/or into the mountains.

Due south of Denver and south of the Tech Center, as you exit the metro, you gain in altitude again as you head towards Surrey Ridge, Castle Rock, etc.

I also believe you gain altitude as well in the southern portions of Aurora and perhaps Parker, Elizabeth, Kiowa, etc.

Boulder is a bit above Denver at about 5400+ and is nestled right at the base of the foothills.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:48 PM

814 posts, read 713,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

It obviously sits above the Denver Metro a bit.

Now, it would stand to reason that northeast of Denver would be at a lower altitude as this is where the South Platte goes, as it heads diagonally towards Nebraska.

Due west of Denver, like Lakewood, Golden, Morrison, etc., and towards the Ken Caryl area you obviously gain altitude as you're headed towards the Hogback (?) and/or into the mountains.

Due south of Denver and south of the Tech Center, as you exit the metro, you gain in altitude again as you head towards Surrey Ridge, Castle Rock, etc.

I also believe you gain altitude as well in the southern portions of Aurora and perhaps Parker, Elizabeth, Kiowa, etc.

Boulder is a bit above Denver at about 5400+ and is nestled right at the base of the foothills.
Given the winter inversions and all of the talk about Denver being in a bowl, I think it is safe to say Denver is generally a little lower than the surrounding areas.

Just because it is Friday, I am bored and REALLY don't want to work I pulled up Google Earth and using the 470 (almost) beltway as a guide and working clockwise from the Boulder Turnpike, we start out around 5360 and it slowly goes down to just over 5200 at 287. There is a little rise as you get to a little over 5300 at Sheridan and then it dips below 5200 ft from just west of I-25 & E-470 (Northwest Parkway - is it referred to as that or is that a Google quirk?) and then a big dip to around 5000' as you get to the Platte and the I-76 area. It goes back up around 5200' once 470 turns south around 104th.

By the time you hit Pena Blvd you are at 5300', you are over 5500' once you get to I-70. You are close to 5800' around E-470 & Hampden. E-470 & Smokey Hill is around 6060'. You stay above 6000' until you hit Douglas County. 5780' at E-470 & Parker, and then it climbs up to roughly 5900' at I-25.

You drop down to around 5750' until you get to University and then about 5400' around Santa Fe. After that you are back around 5500' until Wadsworth and then you climb to around 5900' at Ken Caryl.

It is roughly 5750-5900' until you get to 6000' at Alameda and peak out about 6250' at I-70.

After that you are out of luck with regards to 470 and I am late for lunch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver