U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM

75 posts, read 265,518 times

Advertisements

Whats the typical season out there (months you can play)? I am moving there in August so wondering how many months out of the year I will have the ability to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:25 PM

88 posts, read 144,746 times
All year round!!! 60 degree weather in the winter! Of course not everyday but I have played in 40 degrees and the sun is shining nice and bright.

"Ski in the morning and golf in the afternoon!"

Old 06-29-2012, 02:29 PM

6,088 posts, read 8,385,153 times
I really want to learn! I hear there are lots of great courses. I think I'm going to take some lessons. Not sure how expensive they are, but I've been wanting to learn for awhile! No time like the present!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:03 AM

12,297 posts, read 8,110,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I really want to learn! I hear there are lots of great courses. I think I'm going to take some lessons. Not sure how expensive they are, but I've been wanting to learn for awhile! No time like the present!
PGA store has a pretty good deal. I got 6 private lessons for $200. Get some form of lessons before you start. It makes it that much more enjoyable.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:11 AM

3,113 posts, read 4,914,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post
Whats the typical season out there (months you can play)? I am moving there in August so wondering how many months out of the year I will have the ability to play.
You can play year-round, but there are definite seasons for course conditions:

From mid-May through mid-October, the courses are in excellent condition.

In mid-October, the irrigation systems are generally shut off. The course conditions will deteriorate as the grasses stop growing and go dormant for the winter. Course conditions will be good for about a month.

From mid-November until mid-March there are winter golf conditions. The grass is brown, dry and dormant. The ground underneath is very hard, and the hole locations will stay in the same place. The weather in many cases will be warm enough to golf, but the course conditions are not that good.

In mid-March, irrigation systems are turned back on and the course will slowly green up and soften up so that course conditions get better. It is often very windy and snowy during this time.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:41 AM

521 posts, read 722,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAFTERHOURS View Post

Davidv nailed it. Year round. That said, there was (and usually is once a year) a solid four week stretch where nobody was really playing anywhere in late Feb-late Mar. The time frame and month varies but we usually get one good dump that stays around for a couple weeks then they need to let the course dry out for a few days so players don't gouge the crap out of it.

Everywhere I've played this season areated in early April. You probably know it takes a good three to four weeks for the plugs to grow back in but course let you play uber cheap during the week of. I believe they'll areate again in mid-Sept.

Let me know if you want a golfing buddy when you head out. Nobody has yet taken me up on the open invitation to play and I'm literally open Sun-Sat dusk to dawn. Average mid-80's but working hard on my game with decent progress this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

Sweet! My wife just picked up the game six months ago and is already making decent progress. She keeps putting off lessons but she's somewhat of a natural athlete so she has actually picked the game up well. She struggles with length off the tee. We often play a junior par three course (average hole is 60yds). If you ever want to play, PM me and we'll exchange info. There is a course up here that does "Ladies Night" where, for $15, you get a couple glasses of wine, hors d'oeuvres, and all the golf you can play 'til dark. My wife is interested in checking that out but wants to find a partner in crime, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
PGA store has a pretty good deal. I got 6 private lessons for $200. Get some form of lessons before you start. It makes it that much more enjoyable.

This is huge advice, Strawberry. I would also lean torwards private lessons (if you can afford it). I don't really agree with some type of lessons BEFORE you start but, if you want a cheaper option, there is a program called Get Golf Ready! that, for $99, you get five one hour group lessons; not a bad deal. Get a used set or even just one wood (preferably a 5-wood), a couple irons (preferably a 5-iron and 8-iron), a wedge (sand), and a putter. That's all you really need just starting out then, after you start hitting the ball consistently, you can look for a better set. It's entirely possible to ease into the game without any lessons. Sure, the learning curve will be that much larger but it's still so fun and satisfying to hit a golf ball well.

Whoever said "ski in the morning, golf in the afternoon" was spot on. Loveland for laps open 'til 11am, home for lunch, and on the course by 1:15. Gotta love Colorado.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM

Just got back from Stoney Creek Golf Course. It's a little excutive nine hole that's a par 30. Shot a 35 and am very pleased with how I struck the ball, especially around the green.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the good advice guys! I will definitely check it out!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:29 PM

Coal Creek is fuuuuuun. Played 14 then got pushed off by lightning but, through some little titch of awesomeness, recieved four rain checks for nine holes. Since the guys who played with us today won't be joining us on Friday, CC is going to let my buddy and I play 18; free golf is the best golf. Looking forward to getting back out there because 15-18 looks like some fun scoring opportunities and, even though I wasn't hitting the ball great, feel like I could have carded a respectable score; for me anyways.

Ended up shooting a 44 with 19 putts (LAME) and having to take a drop from a hazard. Three-FOUR-three putted one, two, and three. Needless to say, I was pissed (and a little embarrassed). Salvaged the front nine with three one-putts in the last four holes.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Looks like fun! I'm jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or