U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 AM

320 posts, read 1,603,956 times

Advertisements

We spent 5 days in the metro area looking at houses and neighborhoods. heres a So Calers look at Denver.

Traffic is NOT bad at all, we traveled through Downtown almost everyday at peak times and it never took more than a few extra minutes to get to our destination, never got below 18Mph. This included traveling on Sunday while a Rockies and Broncos were both playing in the same basic area. Traffic in Denver is no big deal. Colorado Springs has it much worse.

Ghettos- LOL you guys have no idea what a ghetto if you think Aurora North is one. The ONLY city that I would stay away from is Montbello, that place was a hole.

The good-
Super clean everywhere, very little graffiti, no litter, friendly people everywhere, shopping is fairly close and convient no matter the city you choose. No billboards littering the hwys, people don't talk on their cellphones unless necessary, it appears. A very wholesome looking state. Not alot of snobby teens or smartasses,except at Park meadows mall. Great shops crappy people working in most of them.

The bad-
seems every shopping center has a Chilis, Kohls, Target, WalMart and a Satrbucks. EVERY SHOPPING AREA. lots of franchises wioth not alot CO character. What I mean is not alot of mom and pop stores or eateries. Same ol same ol everywhere. looked for some small hole in the wall dives couldn't find many, everything was a chain.

MY top 4 areas

Parker- The Pinery, love love this area. We actually looked at a house that had 3 deers eating the back yard when we arrived, it was amazing. Love the big lots, open spaces and the neighbors aren't right on top of you.Easily the best neighborhood in CO, IMO.

Lone Tree- Nearer to downtown but nice size lots in very clean well maintained neighborhoods. a bit older that most of the burbs

South Aurora- Looked at Dove Hill, much like the Pinery without the animals and trees. Looks liek they are going to build 500 homes near by that will cause a ton of traffic on a little two lane Hwy.

Henderson/Thornton. Not to far from town to the North alot of newer construction but can still find bigger lots if you looked. Our top pick was here. 1.36 acres with a house built in 2000.

The only area I would avoid at all cost is Montbello, dirty, old and alot of graffiti. right next to the Airport.

Commerce City gets a bad rap for being a "ghetto" Its an older city with a mostly hispanic culture. Blue collor for sure but felt safe there. It helped we spoke spanish.

things you MUST see, IMO the Downtown shooping area, Coors Field,Invesco. The new stadium in Commerce City.

If you DON"T go to Estes Park while in CO you are REALLY doing a diservice to your family. What a great daytrip. Even if everything else sucked this alone would have been worth the trip.

We saw just about every area of Denver, We will make another trip in Winter and if alls well we will be there next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:12 AM

739 posts, read 2,717,870 times
OutofSoCal- Glad you had a nice trip and thanks for the detail. Looks like you saw a great deal of Denver.... did you go into the city neighborhoods aside from Montbello? I ask b/c here in the city there are a great deal of shops that are not chains- restaurants and retail stores. Sure, if you are staying on the thoroughfares of Colorado, Quebec or maybe even Broadway...you'll see that. But even on University Blvd you'll find some quaint eateries and shops as you drive through Bonnie Brae, DU, etc... Did you see the Platte Park neighborhood, Highlands, Wash Park, Country Club, even Cherry Creek North? If so, what did you think of that?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 AM

1,618 posts, read 5,962,656 times
Enjoyed your feedback. Did you check out Westminster? Any comments about it? many thanks!!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM

42 posts, read 150,727 times
Out of So Cal, So happy to hear what a great trip you had. I'm also so glad you felt the same way about traffic seems like we drove the same way as you did. I know when I made a comment about traffic on here some people disagreed. I will have to take a closer look at Pinery in Parker didn't spend much time there. I completely agree about the chains my only thing about that was at least they have a plentiful amount of stores so no overcrowding we have one Target here in Encinitas for 5 cities nearby so it's always picked over and crowded and hard to keep clean. Did you visit the Southlands in SE Aurora? We are also planning to visit in winter and check out new areas.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:30 AM

271 posts, read 1,253,127 times
I often take tourist friends to Estes Park & Rocky Mountain National Park via Hwy 72 from Nederland, which is a scenic byway known as "Peak to Peak Highway", as a day trip. It's absolutely gorgeous, total eye candy. Anyone not accustomed to mountains will have to adjust their jaw after the drive. In the USA that means pretty much everyone that doesn't live in or near the Rockies.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 AM

615 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san diego mover View Post
I'm also so glad you felt the same way about traffic seems like we drove the same way as you did. I know when I made a comment about traffic on here some people disagreed.
I assume that disagreement was from people that have not experienced the joy of SoCal traffic.

Quote:
I will have to take a closer look at Pinery in Parker didn't spend much time there.
While I was in HS, I lived in the Pinery. It was very nice. We had 8 big pines on our property, which was about 1/2 an acre. It is much more built up now. I'd take my small sail boat down to the lake and sail around for hours (not that it was a big lake). The problem with the Pinery and much of Parker, is that it isn't so easy getting in or out. Parker Rd used to be pretty traffic free. Now it is very busy. With all the construction still going on there, traffic is only going to get worse.

Quote:
I completely agree about the chains
Haven't been there for awhile, but Main Street in Parker used to have some quaint shops and restaurants. I wonder if the War Horse Inn is still there? Probably not, as that was quite awhile ago. Downtown Castle Rock also has some nice shops and restaurants.

Quote:
my only thing about that was at least they have a plentiful amount of stores so no overcrowding we have one Target here in Encinitas for 5 cities nearby so it's always picked over and crowded and hard to keep clean.
We'd often camp at South Carlsbad and would run to the Wal-Mart there in Encinitas. That place was always filthy and crowded.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:39 PM

42 posts, read 150,727 times
gpraceman, There is no Walmart in Encinitas you must have been talking about the Oceanside WalMart off the 78 fwy and yes that place is gross next time your in town camping you would be better off going to the Target in Encinitas off El Camino Real from the campground take PCH to Leucadia make a left at the light and drive about 1 mile and you will see the Target shoppong area on the right hand side.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:07 PM

615 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Quote:
gpraceman, There is no Walmart in Encinitas you must have been talking about the Oceanside WalMart off the 78 fwy and yes that place is gross next time your in town camping you would be better off going to the Target in Encinitas off El Camino Real from the campground take PCH to Leucadia make a left at the light and drive about 1 mile and you will see the Target shoppong area on the right hand side.
Sorry, you are correct. I was thinking of the Wal-Mart off of 78. Memory is already starting to fade.

We have tried to go camping at South Carlsbad each summer, even after moving out here. Though, this summer we took a trip to South Padre Island instead. Probably will try again for South Carlsbad next summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or