Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 PM

19 posts, read 35,417 times

Advertisements

Ok, I found a place to live, I *thought*, but now the reviews are freaking me out. The Breakers Resort??? Any thoughts?

Are there better places to live? I'm looking for a safe place for my kids and I.

How is the job market for HR, Accouting? I'm starting to freak out a little bit.

I'm moving so my daughter can go to school, and we are mostly prepared but I'm still feeling overwhelmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Apartment reviews are bad for every single apartment you could possibly look up with no exceptions. And any review that is 5 stars is most likely a management review. It's the nature of the beast-- people only take the time to write when they have a complaint, not when everything is going well. Think of some nice apartments near the city where you live now, and look up the reviews... I bet you'll be surprised. The key thing is to pay attention to the types of complaints and the recurring themes. If the worst things people are complaining about are they didn't get their deposit back, the management staff are rude, parking is tight, walls are thin, insulation is bad, their rent went up, etc, then you know it's a pretty good place to live. If you see numerous complaints over time about bugs, bedbugs, rats, vandalism, gunshots, loud parties all the time, cops over all the time, then I'd pay attention.

I've toured the Breakers complex before. It's one of the nicest (and biggest) apartment complexes in Denver. It feels more like a country club when you drive in than an apartment, including a guarded entrance. It has the best landscaping I've seen anywhere, has a nice lake with a clubhouse (including a bar). It's split into a half dozen or so mini communities within the big one. Personally, I would not hesitate to live there if the location is convenient for you and you price is within your budget.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM

No guns, etc, but lots of bad info on rats and bugs. What the hell are bedbugs??? But also complaints of drafty apartments and large utility bills because of it.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Bedbugs

Bedbugs are the new black.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Bedbugs are the new black.
LOL, thanks for that.

I spoke with a leasing agent yesterday, not mine, and asked all my questions. She was very reassuring, understanding, etc. Of COURSE they don't have issues with rats/mice, bugs, maintenance, and so on.

Then I emailed the same questions to the leasing agent I'd been dealing with through the whole process, the ONLY question she answered was that she was unaware of any bedbug problems. When I emailed her back about the rodents, her response was they lived near a lake and the woods, but had pest control. She never responded to my questions about being charged for maintenance, improper sealing in the units, or lack of maintenance.

So, I'm wondering at this point how I would go about locating a sublease. I think this would be a great short term solution not only for searching for a place to live but checking out areas of town, talking with people about schools, etc. Since sublets are furnished I could put my stuff in storage temporarily.

How prevalent are sub-lets, or sub-leases? Is there a website or should I use a realtor?

I really appreciate all the help I can get. We are moving up from Houston on our own and I'd like to find ways to meet new people, etc.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Default Vacancies in Denver-area Rental Houses at Historic Lows

Vacancies in Denver-area rental houses remained near historic lows during the first quarter of this year. Vacancies in for-rent condos, single-family homes and other small properties across metro Denver rose slightly during the first quarter although the market remained tight with a vacancy rate of 1.6%. "The vacancies we do see are due to little more than turnover, so this tells us that most of the metro area rental homes are filling up, and are doing so rather quickly," said Ryan McMaken, spokesman for the Colorado Division of Housing.

Vacancies in Denver-area Rental Houses at Historic Lows | Business News

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Vacancies in Denver-area rental houses remained near historic lows during the first quarter of this year. Vacancies in for-rent condos, single-family homes and other small properties across metro Denver rose slightly during the first quarter although the market remained tight with a vacancy rate of 1.6%. "The vacancies we do see are due to little more than turnover, so this tells us that most of the metro area rental homes are filling up, and are doing so rather quickly," said Ryan McMaken, spokesman for the Colorado Division of Housing.

Vacancies in Denver-area Rental Houses at Historic Lows | Business News
I appreciate the info, but I'm not sure how that helps with info about sublets or subleases??

Is there a good place to look for those types of leases? Something short term where I can get my 'feet wet' in the area and figure out what area of town is best for my family?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 PM

4 posts, read 9,460 times
We recently relocated to Denver and found the bedbug issue to be quite scary, it's sort of a viral scare for all communities here. But the fears were abated shortly after moving in, as it seems worse reading reviews than what's actually happening. A 5 minute interview of the staff at your prospective property should give you a good idea of the true nature of any pest problems.

I've never had any problems with bedbugs despite similar freaky reviews at the property I ended up at.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
R2F

26 posts, read 85,158 times
I think padmapper has a sublet filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver