U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,725,095 times

Advertisements

I've driven a cab in Boston for many years, full-time since 1994, weekends for a few years prior while in an administrative assistant job. I realize most people in this country look down at the job and the people driving the cabs, whether the drivers are natives or immigrants. But I enjoy it and really don't wish to do anything else. I'm a liberal arts grad who should have more ambition, but I'm single and always will be. I would need a better job or career if not single, but enjoying work is paramount.

I rent a hybrid cab; I could never drive a gas guzzler again. The ride is smooth and quiet. The only thing that bothers me is Boston has required all of the safety partitions in the cabs to be almost fully closed, thus inhibiting easy communication with my passengers. The sliding window now allows for only 1.5 inches of opening vs. 8 inches or so. It stems from a driver getting stabbed last month, who I believe died.

Does Denver have partitions in its cabs? Would closed partitions affect your enjoyment of a ride?

I always see ads on your Craigslist for taxi drivers. There's one fleet that's entirely hybrid, I understand. Are the other companies putting junkboxes on the road? I've read in the past that too many cabs and not enough business leads to nasty and dishonest tactics by some drivers toward some customers in your city. But are most drivers easy going, despite the stereotype?

We have many Haitians driving cabs in Boston, many Muslims, some Russians and Asians. Very few white Americans, but that's been the case for years. It's an immigrant job, at least in the urban areas...one some would say no Americsn-born male should do long-term - one should have more pride and ambition, right?

It's not lucrative, offers no benefits, but is very flexible while in the cab, if one can commit to 60-84 hours weekly. I love showing people around the nice city of Boston; it's not often I must drive to bad parts of town. Much of the shift has me waiting for fares, browsing City-Data. But the pressure mounts when it's very slow, then one barely makes the nightly rental, but that doesn't happen too often in Boston, thanks to a decent economy.

Has anybody here driven a cab in Denver? Why are there so many CL ads for drivers, many more than other cites? Are earnings so low that one must quit?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 PM

3,757 posts, read 4,383,316 times
The ethnicities of cab drivers seem the same everywhere. But cab culture out west is very different. San Francisco is the only place it resembles the cities of the Northeast. And then there is Vegas where there is a lot of cab demand in a very small area. Everywhere else most of the cabbies stake out business hotels for one or two big fares a day. Denver is helpful in that an airport fare is always big $$$. Otherwise there are few areas where people go without cars and in those areas public transit is decent so cabs tend to be for visitors and for people with car trouble or too drunk to get home. So my guess is you'll just spend a lot of time waiting for a call or waiting at a hotel.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM

4,674 posts, read 3,425,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Has anybody here driven a cab in Denver? Why are there so many CL ads for drivers, many more than other cites? Are earnings so low that one must quit?
Were do you see many ads for cab drivers in Denver? I just checked Craigslist and can find only one company (out of four or five cab companies in Denver) adverting for drivers. Unless your idea of many is one?

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,097 times
I've never seen the partitions you speak of, but I've also never ridden in a cab here. Denver is much more liberal than most other cities as much of the reason being ''that crime just doesn't happen here like other places'', which is partially true.

There are a fraction of the amount of cabs I've seen here compared to SF. The DUI rate here is also about 10k-20k per year. I reckon people would just rather pay $10k in fines and attorney expenses than take a cab for $50. I was actually in an Irish pub one time and some guy talking to me was a almost proud of his 3 DUI convictions. I thought that was mad, having to pay $30k in fees and be a felon. IDIOT!!

I've also lived here for 4 years and have never seen a DUI checkpoint. If more of them were in place it would be a larger wake up call to motorists who feel that drinking and driving is no big thing as long as you make it home without committing vehicular manslaughter.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 PM

3,991 posts, read 2,356,389 times
I don't know about Denver cabs even though I just left there after thirty years, but I did just start driving a cab in Las Vegas and really enjoy it. There are no partitions in the cabs but it is illegal to pick up a flag here....Not that it doesn't happen, but there are stiff penalties if caught. Most of the cars are not hybrids as you need larger cars for the seating capacity. I'm in a Crown Vic that seats five...Often I will get called up to the cab stand in front of the SUV's and Chargers because they only seat four.
The Crown Vic runs on propane BTW so while no additional mileage is gained, the emissions are better and the car seems to run cooler than gas cars but I have no concrete evidence, just my observation of that.

One or two fares a day would drive me crazy! I'm only on my second week but I get 12-16/day on a twelve hour shift. I expect to get more as I gain experience and learn the shortcuts better. I've only lived in Vegas for six months so I'm still learning.

As for Denver, the action does seem to concentrate around the Lodo district and probably the airport runs. I bounced in Lodo and cabs were ever present and needed on evenings and weekends.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 AM

3,991 posts, read 2,356,389 times
Well, I just completed my third week and my numbers have improved quite a bit...now I'm averaging mid-twenties for fares per day and around $50-75/day in tips. My book has climbed into the $300's finally, but that may have been a weekend thing. I suspect my early weekdays will still be low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver