U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 PM

36 posts, read 40,957 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Littleton/Centennial area and have just renewed the lease. The landlord has seen fit to raise the rent considerably,
with the argument that the rent for similar homes in the area is between $1800 and $2000. We are paying less than $1800. The landlord has indicated
he would like to raise the rent to $2100 or more over time. We are not sure how much the rent will be raised next year, but we are certain we
cannot sustain a rent of $1800 or more. The landlord is currently doing fairly invasive renovations on the house, inside and out, on average
once a week. He seems to like to remind us he is doing us a favor by not charging the full amount of rent he feels he could easily receive.

He indicated part of the rent increase is due to income tax form processing fees. Is this a typical expense rolled into rent? Also in the
lease is a 'bed bug' clause, in which the tenant is responsible for all charges relating to the removal of bed bugs. Is this standard now?

Given the current increases happening in the rental market here, Will it be possible next year to find reasonable housing in this area,
or should we search elsewhere like Aurora?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,248,366 times
Think this is the new normal, my 1 bedroom apartment got jacked up 200$ this year, that's why I just decided to purchase and lock in a rate.

I can't imagine it's just Littleton, but I don't know of any people in other apartments that have gotten their lease renewal rates yet

Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 AM

2,650 posts, read 1,900,566 times
You should buy something for that amount. $1800 is a lot for rent and you could probably get a mortgage for considerably less.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Status: "2B the trusted driving force in local real estate." (set 6 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 19,396,162 times
There is a mortgage calculator on city-data here http://www.city-data.com/mortgage-calculator/

The rental market has been tight and getting tighter for a few years. The retail housing market (resale and new) just started to get hot.

No one knows what will happen next year. Some people need to wait, some don't; it's personal.

No one has a crystal ball: we might have a new president, (Insert name of country) might declare war, food and gas price might go up by double digits...

Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM

7,100 posts, read 6,146,198 times
Default I call bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by relohunter View Post
He indicated part of the rent increase is due to income tax form processing fees.
I call bulls-h-i-t on this one.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 AM

99 posts, read 220,068 times
We were trying to find a rental recently and I was amazed at what people are asking for them. It seems like they are getting the amounts that they are asking for as most of the homes were rented out within a few days. Many landlords mentioned that trying to rent in the later part of the year (October through December) is tough. I think that is when you as a renter get the best rate on a new lease.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 AM

2,197 posts, read 2,248,366 times
I think the landlords are taking the view of they don't care, someone will rent it regardless of what we charge for it. They don't care about keeping people after their lease is up either since they will just get more money from start up fees from a new tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver