U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 02:00 PM

39 posts, read 95,544 times

Advertisements

Actually, those entrance ramp lights ARE controlled by sensors that detect the flow of traffic. They turn off automatically when the highways are running fast enough.

As for "Chris from Chicago", are you being serious? If I understand you correctly, you believe that even when it's two lanes they mean only one of those cars should go when green? Um. No. That's not what they're meant for. There's a green light on each side, one for each lane. ONE car PER lane. And you have the gall to call us Denverites stupid? Wow.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,842,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Wouldn't the math need an acceleration curve for an "average" car?
It probably does, but thats not the point. The point is that everybody hates ramp meter lights, but the fact is that they just work. They are put there because they smooth the flow of traffic onto the freeway. Not because they disrupt the flow and cause cars to enter too slowly.

If you hate the ramp lights, thats fine. Thats your right. But don't rationalize your hatred of them by claiming they make you drive badly. Because they have been proven to work. If you can't accelerate from the ramp light to the speed of freeway traffic, then that is the fault of either 1. your driving ability, or lack of, or 2. the limitations of you vehicle. It's not the fault of the ramp lights.

Here are some video examples of how meter lights work. Notice how 99.99% of drivers have no problem accelerating from the light onto the freeway.

If you don't want to hear profanity mute the sound on the first video, but note how the driver accelerates 0-70+ from the light to entering the freeway.

On ramp traffic light - YouTube

Ramp Signalling at Curran Street Auckland - YouTube

Ramp Signalling in the Netherlands - YouTube

Connector Ramp metering light - YouTube

RTC FAST RAMP METERS HOW-TO - YouTube

Old 06-06-2012, 03:43 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,061,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_native_sweetie View Post
Actually, those entrance ramp lights ARE controlled by sensors that detect the flow of traffic. They turn off automatically when the highways are running fast enough.

As for "Chris from Chicago", are you being serious? If I understand you correctly, you believe that even when it's two lanes they mean only one of those cars should go when green? Um. No. That's not what they're meant for. There's a green light on each side, one for each lane. ONE car PER lane. And you have the gall to call us Denverites stupid? Wow.
They do not always have sensors. They seem to work on a time schedule where I use them on C470. I have seen them on during holidays when the road was very quiet. They seem to kick on at 4pm without fail, which makes sense because if they only come on when the freeway starts to slow they are too late.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM

437 posts, read 698,282 times
Point of verification: I studied the I-25 north onramp at Arapahoe Road closely this morning. Signs clearly say "One car per green each lane."

Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,900,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Point of verification: I studied the I-25 north onramp at Arapahoe Road closely this morning. Signs clearly say "One car per green each lane."

Yes and even if there are 2 lights synced up the 2 cars can go on the green, they then decide how to merge into one lane and then decide how to merge onto the freeway.

I don't really see problems with this, except when people don't go on their green.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 PM

14,498 posts, read 22,341,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Try driving in Florida where everyone is 80 years old, this is child's play here
So, if you're familiar with Florida drivers, tell me what these terms mean?
  • blue hair
  • cotton ball
OP, I always thought the green light two-car-per I-25 entrance light system was just basically a two-car race onto the freeway.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 PM

437 posts, read 698,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
So, if you're familiar with Florida drivers, tell me what these terms mean?
  • blue hair
  • cotton ball
OP, I always thought the green light two-car-per I-25 entrance light system was just basically a two-car race onto the freeway.
I assume it's possible for one to be both a bluehair AND a cotton ball.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:28 AM

521 posts, read 718,596 times
KaaBoom, in your first video, that guy took at least 11 seconds (not 6) to get up to speed AND he had an open lane to accelerate into; no merge needed (although he chose to). Not only that, he wasn't dealing with another car either.

Even your next to last video shows the guy taking at least 13 seconds to get up to speed AND he had a rolling start.

Both of them obviously aren't driving a 2000 Cavalier (4-banger) with 170K on the odometer; but hopefully you catch my drift.

If you're going to try and post trite little insults about people's driving abilities or "lack of," at least find some videos that don't totally make you look ignorant to the topic being discussed.

EDIT: On a side note, I dig how CFC hasn't been back to chime in on him and his wife's superior driving and comprehension skills over the rest of us since his OP.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:37 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,718,243 times
Default I am stupid apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_native_sweetie View Post

Well I may be stupid - I'll have to re-read the lights. I took the messaging as one car per light, not one car per light per lane.

As far as these things being proven to work, I guess. . .maybe:

"In 2000, a $650,000 experiment was mandated by the Minnesota State Legislature in response to citizen complaints and the efforts of State Senator Dick Day [3]. The study involved shutting off all 433 ramp meters in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area for eight weeks to test their effectiveness. The study was conducted by Cambridge Systematics and concluded that when the ramp meters were turned off freeway capacity decreased by 9%, travel times increased by 22%, freeway speeds dropped by 7% and crashes increased by 26%. However, ramp meters remain controversial, and the Minnesota State Department of Transportation has developed new ramp control strategies. Fewer meters are activated during the course of a normal day than prior to the 2000 study, some meters have been removed, timing has been altered so that no driver waits more than four minutes in ramp queue, and vehicles are not allowed to back up onto city streets."

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM

12,250 posts, read 8,036,209 times
What kills me are the people that completely blow through the lights as if they don't exist. They are usually on their phone and then the merge without a signal cutting you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver