U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 PM

521 posts, read 718,390 times

Advertisements

This wasn't a thread about math or I would have explained it myself but David gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,469 times
metering lights ARE stupid...they didn't even exist in most places 20 years ago...running them is not like a red light at an intersection either...there is
no cross traffic and to make things worse they let carpools bypass them...when have you seen carpools be given ability to run through a red light at a normal intersection?

Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 PM

8,079 posts, read 2,809,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssybesma View Post
metering lights ARE stupid...they didn't even exist in most places 20 years ago...
You clearly have no idea of what their purpose is, but probably aren't alone in that. The situation seems to have improved here since 2012; maybe even Denverites can get used to newfangled ideas, given enough time, tickets and fenderbenders.

Metering lights prevent a continual crush of cars trying to merge into heavy freeway traffic. They do that job very well, and the timing and active periods of them are keyed to the immediate traffic flow. Continual heavy merges slow traffic way down, and lead to a high proportion of minor accidents. The lights help that.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:19 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,124,484 times
Sounds like every entrance ramp in L.A. - they're beyond annoying and people really don't obey the signals of the lights (not that it's easy to obey them because the timing of the lights is whack too.)

Old 03-07-2018, 04:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 429,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You clearly have no idea of what their purpose is, but probably aren't alone in that. The situation seems to have improved here since 2012; maybe even Denverites can get used to newfangled ideas, given enough time, tickets and fenderbenders.

Metering lights prevent a continual crush of cars trying to merge into heavy freeway traffic. They do that job very well, and the timing and active periods of them are keyed to the immediate traffic flow. Continual heavy merges slow traffic way down, and lead to a high proportion of minor accidents. The lights help that.
I don't mind them, but they do need to be better timed. I've blown through a few at like 8PM getting on C470 when traffic was dead. Some of the entrances (like WB coming from Santa Fe) have super short merge lanes, even worse now with construction.

As to the prior discussion about 0-60 times, don't forget that most cars lose around 15% of their power in Denver vs sea level. So an econobox that normally can do 9 seconds or so could easily be 12+ seconds with 3 passengers at 5500' in elevation -- worse if the on-ramp is going uphill. That can make a rather tricky situation if the lanes for merging after the light aren't long enough.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 1,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

Well, there's their purpose and then there's their purpose.

I'm not convinced it was a good idea. I'm convinced it was a good intention that is turning out to be a bad idea.

We got along without them just fine for decades. I don't believe at all they prevent accidents. Just as with the speed limits going up didn't prove to increase accidents, metering lights haven't proven to reduce them.

But what really irks me is they're giving preference to carpoolers just to get on the damned freeway.

I don't like the social engineering aspect of this. It's B.S. because all people who have a driver's license and have a licensed vehicle pay the same amount of road taxes as the carpoolers do.

I look forward to a day when people get so sick and tired of the government not voting to fund more road construction that people en masse not only run metering lights as I do on a regular basis, but start driving en masse in the carpool lanes as a single occupant.

Another thing that really pissed me off is that everyone suffered through the U.S. 36 road construction which lasted for YEARS only to find that there was very little benefit for anyone...only the authorities who are now able to charge tolls to use it and increased the number of required passengers to avoid it were the only ones to gain anything.

The road capacity situation sucks so damned bad...don't move here if you're from out of state.

We have way too many two-lane roads still for the amount of people we have in this area.

Stupid politicians on the right don't want to fund them, and stupid politicians on the left want to take all the transportation money and force us out of our cars into buses, light-rail, bicycles, skateboards, hot air balloons and anything that isn't your own car...INSTEAD of building wider roads.

i won't return to the site to further argue this point because I don't like arguments when I know I'm 110% right.

Have at it. Rip me to shreds!!!

END

Old 03-07-2018, 06:01 PM

12,244 posts, read 8,029,930 times
Quote:
Well, there's their purpose and then there's their purpose.

I'm not convinced it was a good idea. I'm convinced it was a good intention that is turning out to be a bad idea.

We got along without them just fine for decades. I don't believe at all they prevent accidents. Just as with the speed limits going up didn't prove to increase accidents, metering lights haven't proven to reduce them.

But what really irks me is they're giving preference to carpoolers just to get on the damned freeway.

I don't like the social engineering aspect of this. It's B.S. because all people who have a driver's license and have a licensed vehicle pay the same amount of road taxes as the carpoolers do.

I look forward to a day when people get so sick and tired of the government not voting to fund more road construction that people en masse not only run metering lights as I do on a regular basis, but start driving en masse in the carpool lanes as a single occupant.

Another thing that really pissed me off is that everyone suffered through the U.S. 36 road construction which lasted for YEARS only to find that there was very little benefit for anyone...only the authorities who are now able to charge tolls to use it and increased the number of required passengers to avoid it were the only ones to gain anything.

The road capacity situation sucks so damned bad...don't move here if you're from out of state.

We have way too many two-lane roads still for the amount of people we have in this area.

Stupid politicians on the right don't want to fund them, and stupid politicians on the left want to take all the transportation money and force us out of our cars into buses, light-rail, bicycles, skateboards, hot air balloons and anything that isn't your own car...INSTEAD of building wider roads.

i won't return to the site to further argue this point because I don't like arguments when I know I'm 110% right.

Have at it. Rip me to shreds!!!

END
Yep, of course you are right. I am sure you will come back to see if somebody replied to you. I hope you run one of those metered lights and get a ticket. It is amazing how some people believe they are above everybody else.

Quietude's post sums it up good.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
I don't mind them, but they do need to be better timed.
As do all traffic lights in the greater Denver area. I've lived several places and driven many others, and nowhere does it always, always have to be a choice between "brake too hard" or "tick the red" on yellow lights. They are way too short for the posted speed limits, from 35 to 55.

I don't do enough highway driving to have an opinion on the metering light timing, but if they don't actually respond to the traffic density, they're a lot less useful than they could be.

In general, Colorado seems to have gotten only about half the traffic standards guidelines. Even new roads are terrible in basic aspects.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
*sob* Have fun back on Reddit or whatever.

You do know you jumped in on a six-year-old thread, right? Which means it was left behind before Reddit et al. had 90% of its users. Nothing like hangin' on venues with the historical sense of a mayfly.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 PM

437 posts, read 697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
As to the prior discussion about 0-60 times, don't forget that most cars lose around 15% of their power in Denver vs sea level. So an econobox that normally can do 9 seconds or so could easily be 12+ seconds with 3 passengers at 5500' in elevation -- worse if the on-ramp is going uphill. That can make a rather tricky situation if the lanes for merging after the light aren't long enough.
Calling BS on that. Modern cars' computers adjust timing, oxygen flow, and mixture to compensate very easily for altitude. Plus, modern cars are generally and excessively overpowered for the jobs they do today - your "econobox" likely has 200 hp or more compared to 100 hp in the 80s or even the 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver