Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:10 PM

75 posts, read 261,909 times

Advertisements

Interesting topic,

I was just browsing the Durango Herald and searching the classifieds section. There were plenty of places to buy, rent, anything that had to do with you SPENDING $$$$ but when you went to the "help wanted" section, there were no jobs listed! It's hard to believe there are no jobs advertised...I'm beginning to think this is done on purpose just to keep the available jobs local....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 03:46 PM

28 posts, read 178,319 times
I am not sure about Durango but I found the local newspapers in Denver to be the worst source of job listings for my particular line of work which is IT. I have found several other online sources for Jobs in the greater Denver area. Not sure if you have tried any other online resources.

I do believe that out of state candidates have an uphill battle in obtaining employment. I am sure there are exceptions to this however they are most likely for high level positions (candidates). In a way this is unfortunate because it is obvious employers are unable to fill all of there jobs from the local candidate pool. Sometimes the most qualified candidate is from another state.

The best you can do it sto be persistent and not give up.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Default Securing jobs out of state & life in general, Part I of II

Hi krb, et al -

My belief/experience is that our possibilities are endless. I posted in a previous link about obtaining a software support analyst job in Seattle, thru an over the phone interview, while living in Atlanta. I drove from Atlanta to the PA mountains, prior to being expected to fly out to Seattle for my interview (never been to Seattle before), but was snowed in (it was Jan, early 90's & became the worst NE PA winter on record at that time - of course AFTER I drove in). Since the majority of my job would be on the phone supporting clients, they felt it made sense to conduct a phone interview. I was hired several days later, accepted over the phone & waited for a thaw about 1-1/2 wks later, so I could safely drive cross-country, alone, which took 7-days across Hwys 95/10/5. It can be done.

By the way, I had no analyst experience at that time, but that's another story. I was self-taught (by reading books I never purchased at Barnes & Noble while drinking Starbucks), motivated & never thought I couldn't find a job that I intuitively knew I could do, despite the fact that I had no degree. Hunger & a desire to not be hungry has always motivated me to find a way, no matter the "subject".

The message for me is this - I don't ever let anyone tell me what I can & cannot do. I'm not a big, tough, defiant person (I'm a little, blonde, soft-spoken, 120-lb girl, soaking wet) - I just make my own decisions, softly & gently. I listen, consider the source (VERY important!) & then decide what's in my best interest. Considering the source is imperitive, no matter the subject. Never let your penniless, unemployed uncle who lives in a broken-down trailor tell you how to invest your money. Never let your thrice-divorced, bitter friend tell you about your relationship. Well meaning as they may be, I can make my own decisions just fine (taken with some well-earned lumps along the way, but that's okay) & will continue to do so. Opinions are fine, but again, I'm a single female, so a 20-yr old married couple with kids or a retired couple in a different income/age range can only give me so much valuable/useful info. Their lives are completely different than mine so of course, their experiences in a town/city/state may or may not be helpful to me. I don't need to know about schools, kids' activities, homeschooling, church activities, childcare, marriage counseling, early-bird specials. Someone who comes from a small, mid-western town of 6K people cannot give me valuable feedback on their big-city experience with rude people, when I've lived my entire life in multi-million population cities. What's rude in a small town vastly differs from what's considered rude in NYC/Boston/DC/L.A.!

On the flip side, married co-workers who are parents have asked me about living in NC. I've told them honestly "I have no idea which area is good for a family in NC. I lived in the city." I look for restaurants with no kids & good microbrews, not restaurants with families, grandparents & kids. I look for independant film, not the newest Disney movie. I don't go for a leisurely, after-dinner stroll, I do hardcore exercise & WALK - fast! My opinion of any town/store/activity is probably of very little import to them & vice versa.

People came out of the woodwork to give me 50 reasons not to move to Atlanta. Never visited before moving, but I moved anyway & it's been one of my top 2 favorite places I've lived. I was told not to take a job over the phone in Seattle, another place I never visited prior to moving. "How do you know you'll like it?", "What if the company's not legit?" I trusted my intuition & although the job lasted only 1-yr (I quit & moved to L.A.), I loved Seattle, enjoyed the experience for the most part (NO place is perfect) & would gladly move back to Seattle again.

So, if you want to find an out-of-state job, don't stop looking & don't assume "they" don't hire out-of-staters just because people you know tell you so or a few experiences have been tough. How do people know, if they've never sought these jobs out? How do they know if they limit themselves by fear & assume there aren't any opportunities? The other consideration is perhaps there was no job for THEM, for many reasons - they're strange, they interview poorly, they're not experienced, they're not what many employers are looking for. I've run up against obstacles too, but I kept going until I found my answer, always. If you want to move, what other choice do you have but to keep moving?! Maybe there are no opportunities for your particular field, whether you're searching in-state or from out-of-state but you need to find out first-hand, no? I'll decide when "I can't" anymore.

*** Please See Part II ***

Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,285 times
Default Securing jobs out of state & life in general, Part II of II

Also, don't look by just one means. The newspaper is fine (online or in print), but call employment agencies - as many as it takes (hungry agents exist everywhere, I assure you), post online resumes and/or search for a local group of folks in the same position as you. How do you know they don't exist (groups for jobs/relationships/apartments/friends) if you don't search? And, if one doesn't exist, start a yahoo group for xxx workers wanting to move to xxx in the xxx age range who are men/women. I'm not kidding.

A few years ago, when I moved to Boston & had no friends, I began a yahoo group for mature women who wanted to go out every couple of weeks for drinks/coffee. One posting & 1-wk later, 38 women showed up to the first event! 50+ answered my ad in 3-days. There were tons of women, just like me, waiting for someone to ask them to go out. The only difference is, they sat in waiting to be asked - I moved! Women in the group still plan picnics, museum events, margarita-crawls, brunch, hiking, winetastings, dogwalks, poker clubs, running... Some have gotten apts/jobs thru the group & 2 women met boyfriends thru the group (friends/brothers of members).

I have a friend from Europe, who was hired by a Canadian company, now living in Boston to complete contract work. She'll be leaving again at the end of the year, because she wants to - she doesn't like Boston. She's surpassed the language barrier on her own, asked co-workers about finding someone to help her change her CV into an American resume (her boss' daughter did it for free because she left no stone unturned seeking help) & she's posting on monster.com, telling everyone she meets that she's looking for a new IT job, searching online/newspapers, doing online/in-person research on new cities/states/countries. I'm moving from Boston soon, too, so will be in the same position of looking for a job, but I have no doubt that I'll find one. Does it depend on the field you work in? Sure. I have sisters who are nurses & agencies from out of state try to solicit them, because that position is in great demand. I'm about to go to school to change my career & I'm over 40. Never been to college before. Some people think I should just stick with computers. That's okay. It's not for me, so I'm changing anyway. I have 20-more working years & need a new, fulfilling career. Have I found a school yet? No, but I will. Do I know how I'll pay for school? No, but I'll find a way. I know others who've done it & so can I. Do I know where I'm moving yet? No, but it will all come together thru my many hours of research. Am I worried about it? No, life's an adventure. Some decisions have brought me to wonderful places, others have brought me running away as fast as my little feet could carry me. I haven't liked every place I've lived, every job I've had, every relationship/friendship I've had, but, I always tried my best & gave it my all & we live in a wonderful country where we can always choose again... & again... & again...

My best advice (to myself) is this, I ask people who've gotten it, who've done it, who've made it work. Sure, heed warnings from those who have honest/smart opinions about things you need to be careful of - dangerous neighborhoods, dangerous individuals, dishonest companies, etc. But, find people who moved & love it, found jobs & love them, enjoy their lives. The only people who make me run without looking back are those whose stories/experiences are filled with fear, sad sap stories (We all have them, no? It just depends on what you'd like to focus on, right?), negativity, "can't do it" stories, "everything's so hard" stories, "it won't work out" stories. I'm not lacking compassion, I just choose with whom I'd like to spend my time & attention & there are as many positive, happy people as there are the opposite. It never ceases to amaze me what I unearth, once I begin looking for it...

Best of luck to you & me & all of us who are searching for the next fork in the path of our marvelous lives! Enjoy yourself.

Cheers, then... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-05-2006, 04:57 AM

21 posts, read 156,557 times
What a great post. Thank you for sharing you positive attitude and relocation advice. I am sure you have inspired many!!!

Old 10-05-2006, 02:17 PM

28 posts, read 178,319 times
Baltic_Celt,

That was very well put. I agree with you 100%. Nothing is going to deter me from moving to CO with my wife to put down some roots. I am realtively young, early thirtys, and am in need of a change in life and scenery. I always take what other people say with a grain of salt and realize that no one persons situation is the same as the next. Your post clarifies that greatly. Life is a journey, isnt it

Old 09-08-2007, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 14,281 times
Can anyone recommend recruiters or headhunters who deal with the media/publishing industry? I am an editor/writer and am looking to move to the Denver/Boulder metro area from the East Coast. Most of the recruitment agencies I find online don't handle my line of work ... Thanks!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
If you plan to move to an area by a specific date (with or without job), put that in you cover letter. I think many employers are hesitant as they feel out-of-town applicants are just testing the waters and might not be serious about the move. If you know you're moving and have a date you're willing to put in writing, I think it can help reassure prospective employers that you ARE a viable candidate. Also, some employers may not want to pay for the move, so if they know you're moving anyway, it might encourage them to read your resume. If they like what they see, they may end up paying for the move afterall (everything is negotiable). This has been my experience in the past, anyway.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Headhunters fill a lot of IT jobs here. They can also advise you on the relocation issue. The company pays the fee for most professional jobs.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM

21 posts, read 51,350 times
Old thread, I know...but...

Anyone know any good resources for finding jobs in the construction/trades industry in the Denver area?

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver