Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM

8 posts, read 12,213 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Denver towards the beginning to middle of August. I currently live in Alexandria, VA right outside Washington DC.

I will be moving with my 60 pound lab and would love a place in walking to distance to a park. I would prefer a one bedroom and do not want to spend more than 800 a month. Is that possible? I am a twenty five year single female and would like to live around other singles in their 20s and 30s. I would prefer to start with more of the city life then the suburbs while I figure Denver out. What neighborhoods would you suggest? Areas to avoid? Specific places would also be helpful as would locations of dog parks.

I do not have a job yet but have actively started looking.

Any other tips you have for those new to Denver would be great.

Thanks!
Lindsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM

345 posts, read 914,026 times
I would find a job first then figure out where to live from there.

Most apartment complexes have a weight limit of around 20 lbs, so you may have to look for houses to rent. I have no idea if $800 for a house is possible or not.

There also may be a pet deposit as well as a monthly pet rent, in apt complexes that is the norm, with renting a private home it is up to each owner.

If you are moving here jobless, which is risjy IMO; have enough savings to make it for a few months and also budget in the cost of car registration which can be pricey depending on your car's age.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:51 AM

8 posts, read 12,213 times
I understand moving without a job is very risky but I am up for the challenge and have been planning on this.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:58 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I see big dogs in my apartment complex, but I don't know if you could get a 1 bedroom for 800 a month. I pay 975. I think they have a sliding scale though for people who need assistance. Not sure how that works if you don't have a job though. I would guess a lot of places might be wary of renting to someone without a job. I looked around a lot and there are not many options for less than 1,000 a month. At least not anywhere halfway decent and within walking distance to everything in the city. Maybe you should look for a roommate?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:40 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie327 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Denver towards the beginning to middle of August. I currently live in Alexandria, VA right outside Washington DC.

I will be moving with my 60 pound lab and would love a place in walking to distance to a park. I would prefer a one bedroom and do not want to spend more than 800 a month. Is that possible? I am a twenty five year single female and would like to live around other singles in their 20s and 30s. I would prefer to start with more of the city life then the suburbs while I figure Denver out. What neighborhoods would you suggest? Areas to avoid? Specific places would also be helpful as would locations of dog parks.

Thanks!
Lindsay
Look to rent a room in a house that will accept your dog. Don't be picky on the location, and you should find something in your price range.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:57 AM

93 posts, read 295,665 times
Hi Lindsay. You should look for a studio apt. that allows pets/dogs in areas like Gov Park, Cap Hill, or somewhere else centrally located so you have the flexibility to work in any corner of denver without commuting too far. If you live in these areas, you could easily commute to your job in under 20-25 minutes, assuming you have a car. Look often on Craigslist for studios or one bedrooms (there's tons of them) to get an idea of what you are working with. I would try to stay south of Colfax (or at least 17th st.) and west of Colorado Blvd. That is a pretty large sized area in which there are always tons of rentals and single units to choose from.

I moved out here after graduating from college with no job, and I saved up enough rent to last me a few months. I ended up getting a job through a temp agency after a month or two which has since turned into a pretty decent permanent job. It could be a lot worse, but I think it's possible if you stay diligent on finding work because it can be extremely tough. Hope I was able to help! Let me know if you are curious about anything else, this site is a great tool that helped me a lot before I made the decision to leave everything for a new start.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie327 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Lindsay
Hey Lindsay. I'm a 28 yr old male that just moved here 4 months ago with my 80lb lab. There are plenty of apartments that allow dogs. The apartment I'm at is close to downtown, Wash (Washington) park and the Light Rail. However a 1 bedroom is around $950-1000 if I remember correctly plus dog deposit.

Shoot me an email if you want more details but can give some advice as I was looking for similar things when I moved here and I nailed it pretty well. [email]wrchad23@gmail.com[/email]

Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 AM

59 posts, read 119,167 times
Hi Lindsey, lived in Old Town Arvada for 3.5 yrs moved back East. Don't ask, miss CO. Denver is the most dog friendly place on the planet. I actually think there are more dog park's than anything else. Be ready to pay a heafty security deposit ($750+/-). Your price range is going to land you some where in the suburb's. I seen a lot of people leaving down town and comming to The Water Tower Flat's in Old Town Arvada to get away from the high rent. 1-bedroom is in your price range and have seen many people there with a dog your size. Lot going on in Old Town for some one your age, I had a blast. Conveinent to everything and safe. I'm sure other's have there opinion of other area's this is one I know for a fact. I think it's a great place to start out.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: