Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 04:51 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Doesnt matter where you come from, your body adjusts quickly to local norms. I used to be able to pretty much ignore the heat in Vegas until it got to about 110, when I would then feel like it was hot. Now anything above 93 or so and I feel the heat. Since 100s are rare here its going to be some misery for most people.
True, you do acclimate. When I lived in Orange County for a decade, my body felt cold if it got below 55 and hot when it got above 85. It was always so consistent, I couldn't handle anything extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 08:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
True, you do acclimate. When I lived in Orange County for a decade, my body felt cold if it got below 55 and hot when it got above 85. It was always so consistent, I couldn't handle anything extreme.
The exact same thing happened to me in reverse. When I first came to California, I had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing, when people talked about how cold it was, and the temperature was only 55 degrees. Now anything out side of that 55 - 85 range, and I start to complain myself.

I'm pretty sure though I could never acclimate back to Colorado weather now.

On the good side Denver's temperature maxes out at about 105 degrees. Here in the Bay Area it can get to as high as 110. Other parts of California can get even hotter.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 06-22-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM

208 posts, read 419,180 times
This dry heat is hotter than I thought it would be when I moved here from Atlanta 6 months ago. I miss the himudity! I feel like I'm going to turn into ugly white trash!

Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,177 times
How can you miss humidity, is that even possible? I laugh my ass off at people who think Colorado is even remotely hot. Try living in Iraq or Afghanistan, like I do, then you can have something to say about hot.

A COOL day here is about 105 degrees. I work outside all day long in temps that exceed 120 degrees. With gear on. I don't have the luxury of shorts and a T shirt.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:32 PM

91 posts, read 131,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
How can you miss humidity, is that even possible? I laugh my ass off at people who think Colorado is even remotely hot. Try living in Iraq or Afghanistan, like I do, then you can have something to say about hot.

A COOL day here is about 105 degrees. I work outside all day long in temps that exceed 120 degrees. With gear on. I don't have the luxury of shorts and a T shirt.
I totally agree with you. It is relative compared to what they are used to.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Well i guess its all about perception. Places like Houston are very humid, yet cities like Austin and San Antonio are far drier and rarely have heat indexes with 90's and over 100 degree temps. Not quite as dry as Denver, but certainly one of the driest areas east of the rocky mountains.
I can't wait to move to a drier climate like CO!! I live in Houston now and have since 2001, and I have yet to adjust to our humidity! I'm from DFW and lived in Austin for 5 years, and areas around SA as well. And yes, Houston sucks the most humidity wise. Currently where I live (in NE Houston) we are sitting at a balmy 78 degrees with 76% humidity (dewpoint is 70 degrees) right now at 11:30pm. Nasty. Monday's high is supposed to be 103.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 AM

219 posts, read 506,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't know. It's hotter than average right now (mid 80s is normal) but not unusual.
I only lived there for three years but I dont ever remember it being as hot there as it is right now. I remember low 90's during the day and comfy, cool low 70's at night.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post

I hear you. I did revolving duty between Fort Irwin Army CA./ Yermo Marine Logisitics both nicely located. Fort Irwin is situated in Death Valley. The typical summer temps. fluctuate between 105-125 with lows in the 80's to upper 90's. All bets are off on the dry heat arguement when you are flying through DV in a Hummer with no AC and it's 119+. I remember how nice and pleasant Vegas/Phoenix were by comparison. I assume you know the meaning of the term mopp 3,4...I feel for ya.. I trained in Egypt as well, fun times..come back safe and thanks for serving

Not quite as hot here but last eve. I drove up to the North MT Evans access trailheads along upper Deer Creek near Bailey around 6:00 pm it was still 87 even at that elevation.

Last edited by Scott5280; 06-23-2012 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityfilms View Post
This dry heat is hotter than I thought it would be when I moved here from Atlanta 6 months ago. I miss the himudity! I feel like I'm going to turn into ugly white trash!
That is what I thought when I first moved here. Still do, as a matter of fact. It may be worse in humid places, but it's still hot here.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:33 AM

149 posts, read 315,201 times
If you want heat, go to the Persian Gulf region. Add desert + 90F plus sea water temps and lots and lots of sun...and you get high temps and ultra high humidity.

Even parts of the midwest can turn unbearable in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver