Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:08 PM

6,647 posts, read 9,191,520 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pennsylvania, but lived in Southern California for a little while. I, too, remember feeling cold when the temperature dipped to 50-55 degrees. In fact, one time, I had friends visiting from Pennsylvania and they laughed at me because I turned the heat on in my truck because I was cold. Since it was winter in PA, 55 felt warm to them!

I'm enjoying the hot weather. According to my Jeep, it was 104 when I drove from my house to the Cherry Creek Mall yesterday, and this wasn't because the Jeep was parked out in the sun; my townhouse has a garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,238,531 times
Anybody who thinks that the kind of weather we've been having here last few days is a "dry heat" clearly hasn't been to the desert southwest before. Only an easterner would think this is a "dry" heat... especially if you go out right now. It is humid as hell right now. If you want to know what dry heat feels like, go to Vegas or Phoenix (was in Vegas just 2 weeks ago... have that fresh in my mind). That's what dry heat is. This ain't that.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,354,751 times
Humidity is currently 12%. While it may not be Vegas or Arizona, no way is it "humid as hell"..

ETAJust checked...Vegas is at 3% and Phoenix is at 19%.....and Atlanta is 48%.....

Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,683,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Humidity is currently 12%. While it may not be Vegas or Arizona, no way is it "humid as hell"..

ETAJust checked...Vegas is at 3% and Phoenix is at 19%.....and Atlanta is 48%.....
Yeah, I live in AZ and this is probably the worst weather of the year for us! I'm sure your temps are not as hot as here. Plus, I do believe it cools down much faster over there than it does here. We woke up to 93 degrees today!

Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,134,252 times
So what have the dew points been during this hot stretch? I bet it's been 50 degrees dew point or less, although as a weather buff, I've seen Denver hit dew points of mid-to-upper 60s on a few rare occasions in summer when temps might be in the 80s. But dew points in the low 50s with a temp of 100 would still be awful, although isn't Phoenix often at a dew point of 20-30 degrees when they hit 100-105? So that's reasonably tolerable? Occasionally, their dew point can be in the 60s, believe it or not, a few days each summer..

Oh my, Weather Channel is on my TV, and they just mentioned 103 for Denver for Monday.

Is Boulder or Ft. Collins often a few degrees cooler when Denver is slammed with these high temps?

Old 06-25-2012, 12:56 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,791,804 times
Over all Vegas is spot on. While it has been unusually dry here even often in the single digit levels lately 3-9% humidity, we have seen some passing systems provide a few 20-40% daytime readings. I pay close attention to humidity here as I am growing both native perrenials and some subtropicals that have been placed in a specially designed micro climate complete with misters and protective hoop houses for wind protection during extreme conditions. Earlier this week we saw 50-60% daytime levels; something almost unheard of in Vegas/Phoenix short of some monsoonal flow this time of year.

Last edited by Scott5280; 06-25-2012 at 01:25 AM..

Old 06-25-2012, 01:19 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,683,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
So what have the dew points been during this hot stretch? I bet it's been 50 degrees dew point or less, although as a weather buff, I've seen Denver hit dew points of mid-to-upper 60s on a few rare occasions in summer when temps might be in the 80s. But dew points in the low 50s with a temp of 100 would still be awful, although isn't Phoenix often at a dew point of 20-30 degrees when they hit 100-105? So that's reasonably tolerable? Occasionally, their dew point can be in the 60s, believe it or not, a few days each summer..

Oh my, Weather Channel is on my TV, and they just mentioned 103 for Denver for Monday.

Is Boulder or Ft. Collins often a few degrees cooler when Denver is slammed with these high temps?
And I say welcome to our world my friend! Here in Phoenix we are now longing for those "cooler" days of the low hundreds.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,203,692 times
So tired of the "dry heat" meme. I've done hot and humid, and yes it is absolutely miserable.

But for a dry heat, crank the temp up to 200 on your oven for 15 minutes. Now open your oven and put your head in there. Try touching some of the metal work. That's living in a dry heat. You can't open your car door or touch your steering wheel if it's been in the sun, you dehydrate so fast you can't take in water fast enough, and if you lack air conditioning and have only a fan in your home, you are doing little more than blowing that hot dry air around.

Both types of heat can be miserable for completely different reasons. I think most people that argue "dry heat" may have visited (perhaps in a well air conditioned hotel or early in the morning on the golf course before the heat sets in), but have never really *lived* in such conditions.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,791,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Often it depends on the weather systems. Boulder is generally cooler than Denver proper but often has milder over night readings than outlining Denver suburbs. Fort Collins is a wild card in that it is situated at a slightly lower elevation along with places like Greeley, so FC for the most part is very similar to Denver. Generally the warmest city readings in Denver are along the Platte River Valley in and around downtown where the city concrete heats things up a bit. Boulder is often milder than Denver during the winter months though even when it receives more snowfall. DIA of course is where they record Denver's official temps, those are usually off by at least a few degrees from where most people live. DIA has almost an Eastern Plains climate.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,256,025 times
Well living in Austin, no matter how miserable it gets, there is NO way out. In other words, you can drive hundreds of miles in any direction and the heat is just as bad. However, in Denver, even when its 100 degrees, you can drive up into the mountains (Estes Park, Vail, Allenpark, etc) and the temps are 20-25 degrees cooler. It's like an escape!! I can't imagine what I-70 must have looked like this past weekend heading up into the mountains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
lol! People in Texas are so funny. They all think they live in the driest place in TX. Humidity in SA was horrible. When you break out in streams of sweat waking from your front door to your car, before the sun even comes up, that's humid! I'm sure there are minor variances throughout the state (El Paso probably is the only true part of the state that doesn't get high dew points/humidity), but overall, it's miserable. I was in Austin last November and the first two days I was there, the humidity felt horrible until a cold front moved through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver