U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:39 AM

88 posts, read 452,218 times

Advertisements

My oldest brother and his family have lived in Littleton for about 25 years now (came from Chicago burbs) He has a son that owns a home in Highlands Ranch, another in Englewood, and a third in Denver. I do think Highlands Ranch is where you will want to be. Good luck on your hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 07:26 PM

99 posts, read 301,600 times
Default Highlands Ranch

I just moved from the very area that you are asking about. My yard was a nice size and there was a lot of privacy due to mature trees. You don't find that everywhere in Highlands Ranch. I like where I live now in another part of Highlands Ranch, but I feel like everyone can see in to my backyard! We are going to have to buy some really large trees soon!!!!! I really liked the location by Cougar Run. It is close to C470, County Line Road and if you want to travel to the tech center, it is not far! Good luck in your home search!

Old 10-02-2007, 12:33 AM

7 posts, read 29,103 times
Thanks. The biggest issue I have with my current home is privacy. We live in a brand new community and it would take years for the trees to provide us some privacy. I want to make sure I avoid the same situation. Do you mind me asking why you left Cougar Run? Were their things you didn't like about the neighborhood? I would appreciate any info you can provide. Are their any other neighborhoods you would reccomend. Online all the neighbor hoods seem the same!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:54 AM

615 posts, read 2,762,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlmast View Post
Thanks. The biggest issue I have with my current home is privacy. We live in a brand new community and it would take years for the trees to provide us some privacy. I want to make sure I avoid the same situation.
There are some older homes in HR that do have trees that are more mature. I say "older" as a relative term, since HR is only 26 years old.

My in-laws, who live on the west side of HR, have some very tall cottonwoods in their backyard which screens them nicely from their neighbors. I hear they are a pretty fast growing tree, so that is an option if buying a house without enough shielding from neighbors. Though, they should be the cotton-less trees, since some people are alergic to the ones that put out cotton.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:22 AM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 23 days ago)

10,890 posts, read 29,323,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
.... they should be the cotton-less trees, since some people are alergic to the ones that put out cotton.
How can they call cotton-less cottonwoods - "cottonwoods?" Isn't the cotton the point?

I think it's funny in the spring to see all that cotton blowing in the wind.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
How can they call cotton-less cottonwoods - "cottonwoods?" Isn't the cotton the point?

Not so funny, if you are allergic to them. Besides, I believe that the HR HOA mandates the cotton-less trees. However, not everyone goes by that, as evident by the ones behind my in-laws (actually they reside in their backyard neighbor's yard) are the "cottony" variety.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,989,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post

The cottonless ones are male trees. As others have said, many HOA's (and many municipalities) prohibit planting cottonwoods that have cotton.

Cottonwoods also get huge, quickly (whether with cotton or cottonless). They break and shed branches easily. They also sucker profusely. They should really only be planted on very large pieces of property where they have plenty of room and will not grow into pipes, foundations, etc.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:31 PM

99 posts, read 301,600 times
Default Highlands Ranch

We moved to a new house for many reasons. We wanted to be in certain schools as the middle school that we go to doesn't accept open enrollment due to high numbers of kids already attending in the area. We were open enrolled in another school district and I was tired of driving. I wasn't a big fan of Cougar Run although a lot of my neighbors loved it.

Another area you might want to check into is off of Quebec and University. Some of the homes have larger yards with some privacy. Redstone Elementary is supposed to be awesome although I don't have any kids there.

It is so hard to figure out where to move to from the internet. This website is great for talking to others. I wish I had known about it before moving here.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenmom View Post
Another area you might want to check into is off of Quebec and University. Some of the homes have larger yards with some privacy. Redstone Elementary is supposed to be awesome although I don't have any kids there.
That's over by where I live. I like the area and have a son that goes to Redstone. It is a good school and just opened up last year. My kids go to 3 different schools and each can walk to school, which is rather nice. My middle schooler actually walks to Redstone to catch the shuttle bus to Rocky Heights (parents lobbied for this so middle schoolers wouldn't be crossing busy Quebec or McArthur Ranch Rd).

If you are looking for a larger yard, I'd recommend getting with an agent familiar with the area. The agent can feed you listings fitting your specific criteria. I know 2bindenver is very familiar with this area, but there are other agents around as well. There are many homes around HR that have larger yards. Mostly ones on corner or cul-de-sac lots.

There are some homes close to Rock Canyon High School (McArthur Ranch Rd and Quebec) that have some pretty large yards. Those are the ones that I mentioned earlier, which I believe are not apart of HR or Lone Tree. That means your HOA fees do not get you access to the rec centers in either community. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is the case.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 PM

24,839 posts, read 29,999,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlmast View Post
My husband has been offered a job in Denver After looking at the schools, I'm considering moving to Littleton or Highlands Ranch. I'm trying to find a home near excellent schools with new amenities. After hours of research I'm extremely confused about which development I like. I'm trying to find someting over 10k sq ft with a rpice range of approx. $600k. Does anyone have any comments on the different subdivisions.
The neighborhood off of Lucent and Highlands Ranch Pkwy (NWCorner) has several houses for sale; some but not all of the lots are large. There is one, maybe 2 on Desert Willow Rd that has a 10,000 sf lot. I think the prices range from about $400,000-$600,000 in the neighborhood. The zip is 80129 (so you can search easily)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or