U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
 
4 posts, read 6,688 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Considering commuting using the Light Rail. My work will pay for the light rail pass, but the issue that I am having when I look on their website is that the station that I would drive to in order to take the light rail says it is a "paid parking" place. I'm "in-district" in terms of my license plate, but the wording from there is kind of confusing. It says for in-district cars, the first 24 hours is free and after that it's 2$ per day.

So my question is this... If I commute every day to work, will I be required to pay for parking? Is the first 24 hours a one time thing or every time I leave and come back does the 24 hours start over? People that commute using the light rail and park at a paid station, do you pay $2 for parking every day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by horace29 View Post
Considering commuting using the Light Rail. My work will pay for the light rail pass, but the issue that I am having when I look on their website is that the station that I would drive to in order to take the light rail says it is a "paid parking" place. I'm "in-district" in terms of my license plate, but the wording from there is kind of confusing. It says for in-district cars, the first 24 hours is free and after that it's 2$ per day.

So my question is this... If I commute every day to work, will I be required to pay for parking? Is the first 24 hours a one time thing or every time I leave and come back does the 24 hours start over? People that commute using the light rail and park at a paid station, do you pay $2 for parking every day?
The 24 hour starts new everyday. The Parking is designed for the commuters, in the district, to have free parking available for their daily workday. The fee is to discourage long term parking which would take away limited spaces from commuters at high demand lots. Many times people would park their cars in the lots and go to the airport and have free parking for weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
 
Location: The North
5,083 posts, read 9,091,149 times
Reputation: 4054
Where do you live? Basically it was put in there to make Douglas County residents "pay" for parking since they did not want to financially support RTD in the manner RTD wanted. If you live relatively near a light rail station chances are very good you wont have to bother paying. RTD drives around the lots and scans all license plates and finds those who don't live in-district. If you don't and did not pre-pay to park you will get a ticket, but the first time is just a warning so you will find out soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Where do you live? Basically it was put in there to make Douglas County residents "pay" for parking since they did not want to financially support RTD in the manner RTD wanted. If you live relatively near a light rail station chances are very good you wont have to bother paying. RTD drives around the lots and scans all license plates and finds those who don't live in-district. If you don't and did not pre-pay to park you will get a ticket, but the first time is just a warning so you will find out soon enough.
You are full of nonsense. What kind of bull are you trying to say.

There is no issue with the support or no support of the Douglas County. Some areas of Douglas County are served and some are not served. That is part of local control, not under the control of Douglas County. Lone Tree is in Douglas County and has extensive service with multiple rail stations. Highlands Ranch, a development, is in Douglas County and is served by Call-Rides and many buses. Parker is in the district and is served. These areas all have Park-n-Rides. Castle Rock was in the District but withdrew with a myopic view that they could run their own bus service, which was started and closed down. Some areas are not served well because they are not well populated and extensive service would not make sense. It is the same issue for every other county served from Boulder, to Adams, to Arapahoe, to Jefferson Counties. The RTD district district reflects an irregular boundary in areas of these counties that are served and not served. It changes as services are provided and then that area is included in the district.

You are ignorant of the facts or are telling a big lie to push an idea that the charges for the lot had to do with some issues with Douglas County. It was done because the lots where in heavy demand and it was felt necessary to reduce demand with those who choose to use the lots that were not part of the RTD district and for those who would park for inordinate amount of times.

In addition, the charges are for many other lots in other counties than just Douglas County. There are also many more free lots because these lots do not have the excessive demand and charges for reducing demand is not warranted. It was not done to necessarily get revenue and if that was the case all lots would have had a charge. I was at those review meetings and I know, you do not know but mouth off with empty ideas.

Have anything else to say that will make you look even more foolish.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-01-2012 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
 
Location: The North
5,083 posts, read 9,091,149 times
Reputation: 4054
Why then do people from Castle Rock get considered "out of zone"? It isnt nonsense, out of service area cars have to pay the fee day one and the whole system of pay parking was instituted because Douglas County voted not to support the Light Rail system in a manner RTD wanted. The issue of overnight parking is a ruse, few people utilize RTD to get to the airport or really for any reason. If that was their real concern the could just implement an overnight towing policy and move out all cars at 4am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 01:38 AM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Reputation: 7732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why then do people from Castle Rock get considered "out of zone"? It isnt nonsense, out of service area cars have to pay the fee day one and the whole system of pay parking was instituted because Douglas County voted not to support the Light Rail system in a manner RTD wanted. The issue of overnight parking is a ruse, few people utilize RTD to get to the airport or really for any reason. If that was their real concern the could just implement an overnight towing policy and move out all cars at 4am.
RTD at their finest. Encouraging people to drive, if they don't vote the way RTD wants them to vote. Just more proof that RTD could care less about promoting public transit. They only care about revenue. The same reason they would rather develop a boutique hotel in Downtown Denver, rather then a real train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
 
459 posts, read 674,637 times
Reputation: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why then do people from Castle Rock get considered "out of zone"? It isnt nonsense, out of service area cars have to pay the fee day one and the whole system of pay parking was instituted because Douglas County voted not to support the Light Rail system in a manner RTD wanted. The issue of overnight parking is a ruse, few people utilize RTD to get to the airport or really for any reason. If that was their real concern the could just implement an overnight towing policy and move out all cars at 4am.
It's complete nonsense. Castle Rock is out of zone because they opted out of RTD. Douglas County did not do RTD on a whole county basis so parts of Douglas County are in RTD and parts are not. They found the parking lots were getting overloaded with out of district cars and people living in the district (who paid for the system) could not use it. Rather than ask people within the district to pay more to build a larger parking lot they otherwise would not need, they instead put up an economic disincentive for out of district cars not to park at the existing parking lot.

Towing overnight cars is also nonsense it takes infinitely more man hours of RTD's time to monitor tow trucks. More importantly towing is a sure-fire way to upset tax payers who pay into the district and obviously use the system. Economic disincentives are a much more palatable way to keep overnight parking from becoming a large problem. Economic disincentives have been proven effective and acceptable everywhere parking is a scarcity, and are being applied to numerous other scarce transportation resources from freeways to bicycles.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 07-02-2012 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
RTD at their finest. Encouraging people to drive, if they don't vote the way RTD wants them to vote. Just more proof that RTD could care less about promoting public transit. They only care about revenue. The same reason they would rather develop a boutique hotel in Downtown Denver, rather then a real train station.
Another one of your finest comments about issues that you know nothing about. RTD does not encourage driving, it is people wanting unlimited parking and demand RTD become a parking management company instead of a bus/rail company. Still harping on Union Station, when It was already decided by competent people who live here and have a stake it the effort--you do not live here.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-02-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Why then do people from Castle Rock get considered "out of zone"? It isnt nonsense, out of service area cars have to pay the fee day one and the whole system of pay parking was instituted because Douglas County voted not to support the Light Rail system in a manner RTD wanted. The issue of overnight parking is a ruse, few people utilize RTD to get to the airport or really for any reason. If that was their real concern the could just implement an overnight towing policy and move out all cars at 4am.
You keep saying more and more foolish statements about some vote where there is no basis for your contention. You do not know what happen in Castle Rock--well look it up, so you do not have to ask the question. There is no big boggy man as Douglas County--that person does not exist because each city, town, development have local area control over their transit needs and desires.

"few people utilize RTD to get to the airport or really for any reason". This is such as incredible statement that you could be unaware of how these lots in the southern towns are packed for the commuters who use the buses/trains and therefore the reasons for parking restrictions. It is unbelievable that you would have this ridiculous idea and have no knowledge about the use of the public transit all over the district. It is very apparent that you do not have the capabilities and abilities to engage in an intelligent discussion.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-02-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM
 
Location: The North
5,083 posts, read 9,091,149 times
Reputation: 4054
Aww did I upset you? Sorry dictator Livecontent, just expressing my opinion on the matter. If it wasnt 110% correct in your view come and sue me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top