Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmet View Post
devote most of the area to rental apartments, with a decent percentage of them being for lower income people.
You make me laugh.
Lower income in this neighborhood?
The people who live in Congress Park and Hale would not welcome this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 AM

977 posts, read 1,328,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You make me laugh.
Quite true. The anti-Walmart crowd contained a disturbingly large portion of people who opposed the store for reasons of race and class. They've finally driven out that pesky VA hospital and the riff-raff that it brings, why take a step back in the march towards the homogenization of the area?

There's 400 market-rate apartments in the current plan, look for Fuqua to at least double that. But, the $20 million in demolition and new infrastructure costs is going to continue to be the problem. It's going to end up being subsidized in some fashion, whether through TIF or another mechanism.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You make me laugh.
That's not true for this Congress Park resident. We already have lower income housing along Colorado. This is actually quite a diverse area racially, socially and economically.

Again, not everyone who lives here is a snob. But most of us agree, we don't want a Walmart there.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com - fun map that provides a lot of info

Congress Park demos: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Denver-CO.html

Hale demos: http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Denver-CO.html

I'm not all that familiar with Denver, but a huge swath of the city in the direction of these neighborhoods I assume is gentrifying. True?

Homes in the area appear very expensive, especially for what you get. Perfect example:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=CO545080984

Last edited by MOKAN; 10-17-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 10:48 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,584 times
MOKAN, that is an established expensive neighborhood around the old hospital. The gentrifying areas are further north and east.

Is there any possibility of any of this remaining a medical facility? Does Rose not need any of the space for future expansion? Mix apartments and condos in there with the existing buildings.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
In the news today:

King Soopers plan at 9th and Colorado: Will it calm critics of Walmart at today's meeting? - Denver - News - The Latest Word

Old 12-07-2012, 02:35 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
God, only if they are idiots

Seriously, they would rather have a king soopers? A Kroger owned brand that promises no advantages over Wal-Mart except higher prices and less selection? And you have to sign away your privacy to get a coupon.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:52 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Demolition at 9th and Colorado project to begin about March 15

Demolition at 9th and Colorado project to begin about March 15 - The Denver Post

"About 70 people braved a snowstorm Wednesday evening to hear updates on the 9th and Colorado redevelopment project, including a partial schedule for remediation and demolition of buildings. During a public meeting of the Colorado Boulevard Healthcare District at Hill Middle School, residents were briefed on progress in redeveloping the old University of Colorado Hospital site.
..."

Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM

371 posts, read 494,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
God, only if they are idiots

Seriously, they would rather have a king soopers? A Kroger owned brand that promises no advantages over Wal-Mart except higher prices and less selection? And you have to sign away your privacy to get a coupon.
Actually, there are some real advantages to Kings over Wal-Mart:

Less likely to bring traffic from around the city on what's already the most congested road in Colorado.

A unionized workforce that is more likely to be paid a better wage, thusly meaning fewer people on government assistance.

Less likely to demand huge tax breaks from the city to build.

And the perception that King Soopers is a "Colorado" company, not a huge, faceless, multi-national conglomerate. Yes, King Soopers is owned by Kroger, which is a huge, faceless, multi-national conglomerate. But it does a good job in it's marketing of making themselves feel like a local, Colorado institution, which I think shields them from a lot of the negative perceptions that people get from Wal-Mart.

Sorry, I grew up in one of those small Nebraska towns that Wal-Mart sucked the soul out of (Columbus, if you must know). Downtown went almost completely dark within a year or two, and when it later moved from the west side of town to the east side JUST outside of city limits to build a SuperCenter, the west side was basically killed too. I have a real issue with that, as well as with giving any of my money to a group of 6 people that have a higher net worth than the bottom 40% of Americans. Wal-Mart functions just fine without my business, and I have no issue with keeping them from expanding.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:02 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Actually, there are some real advantages to Kings over Wal-Mart:

Less likely to bring traffic from around the city on what's already the most congested road in Colorado.
Seriously? Traffic? WTF - its not the superdome its a store. You thing its better because its not as popular?

If its the only store in the area, it will get traffic. This traffic is just an excuse if they exchange a wal-mart with a King Soopers and a bunch of other stores. . .

Quote:
A unionized workforce that is more likely to be paid a better wage, thusly meaning fewer people on government assistance.
Okay, go apply at Kings for this mythical position. You won't find a higher union salary. If kings had to union salary on everything vs. wal-mart than Kroger (which owns kings) would be out of business. I call BS. these cashiers/etc all get paid the same barely above minimum wage salary. King Sooper isn't getting anyone off welfare.

Quote:
Less likely to demand huge tax breaks from the city to build.
and more likely to increase the chance of an alien invasion or zombie. I mean if your making up facts to support your argument, I can do that too

Quote:
And the perception that King Soopers is a "Colorado" company, not a huge, faceless, multi-national conglomerate. Yes, King Soopers is owned by Kroger, which is a huge, faceless, multi-national conglomerate. But it does a good job in it's marketing of making themselves feel like a local, Colorado institution, which I think shields them from a lot of the negative perceptions that people get from Wal-Mart.
Dude, no accounting for idiots. King Soopers is just a division of Krogers. If people think thats better than being a branded wal-mart store. . .than its not my fault their clueless. The fact is Kroger pays similar to wal-mart, has similar benefits, etc. The idea that you put a logo up in front of your store changes whats behind the curtain. . may work on the idiots. . .but you know better.

Quote:
Sorry, I grew up in one of those small Nebraska towns that Wal-Mart sucked the soul out of (Columbus, if you must know). Downtown went almost completely dark within a year or two, and when it later moved from the west side of town to the east side JUST outside of city limits to build a SuperCenter, the west side was basically killed too. I have a real issue with that, as well as with giving any of my money to a group of 6 people that have a higher net worth than the bottom 40% of Americans. Wal-Mart functions just fine without my business, and I have no issue with keeping them from expanding.
I still call BS on this. Don't know the story of your town specifically, but most "small towns" were on the way out as interstates and other stores (people can just drive 1hr to a bigger city for instance). . .It wasn't all wal-mart that drove small downtowns out of business. It was the car, just as easily as wal-mart, that nocked your crap downtown for a loop.

Even if Wal-Mart was responsible. . .I for one am okay with it. WTF should I pay 30% more on food and groceries to keep some local family in business. I don't know about you, but i'm not a charity. You support me not to help me, but in regards to your own self interest.

The idea that we should all pay extra too keep a few local families in a cushy position is just crap. The small town I grew up near (Linton IN) saw a super wal-mart surrounded by lots of new business. And their is still a hardware store in town, and a local grocery store.

When you have a super wal-mart enter your town its a lion, sure. If you take it on straight you may go down. But - that is for idiots. Lots of people are making a lot of money being hyenas in small towns, living on wal-marts edges.

Wal-mart might of done for some downtowns what the internet is doing for others (and newspapers). DOn't shed any tears for the Dinosaurs who can't survive. . .we don't have any reason to prop up inefficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver