Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,052,517 times

Advertisements

I just looked at zillow and although there are normally several properties available in your price range with horse barns, right now there are none. There are some higher priced ones but the older lower priced ones are normally those with horse facilities. But when you come there may be some. The advantage to these particular horse properties is that the elementary school, Meridian in McKay, is walkable and top rated. There is also a nearby outdoor mall that is walkable and very popular. Tons of good restaurants, free concerts in the summer, movie theater etc. It is pretty much a mommy hang out as there are water spouts for the kids to play in, a train to ride and a bunch of other kid friendly amenities. All the mom's with baby carriages tends to keep it a very nice atmosphere as it is not a teenage hangout. There are not many 2 or 3 acre property areas that have so many amenities close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM

34 posts, read 103,402 times
Thanks. We would be open to property with or without a barn on the property as long as good options for boarding are nearby.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:25 AM

[quote=mic111;25046570]the elementary school, Meridian in McKay, is walkable and top rated. There is also a nearby outdoor mall that is walkable and very popular. Tons of good restaurants, free concerts in the summer, movie theater etc. It is pretty much a mommy hang out as there are water spouts for the kids to play in, a train to ride and a bunch of other kid friendly amenities. quote]

I found Meridian Elementary - thank you. Where is the outdoor mall that you are referencing?

Old 07-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Default Random musings

I took another look at your original post. For what it is worth, here is my $.02.

Alot will depend on where you get a job. For the DTC the areas you have in mind are great. I think the north area near Broomfield is good if you end up with a job up north. I used to live in the DTC and loved it. But we've had better luck working at different locations up here as the Broomfield area is sort of central to being able to work in Denver, Boulder, Longmont and everything in between. This has worked well for us as we don't have to move when jobs change. However we've both worked in the DTC from here and that is the one area that doesn't work well. There just isn't any way to get all the way across Denver and through the very heavy DTC traffic successfully without adjusting your hours to very early or very late. On off hours it is 35 min. During commute times it can be an hour or more.

The nice thing about the Denver metro area is that there are tons of really great neighborhoods everywhere. You will pretty much find a wonderful neighborhood with great amenities wherever your job is. I think this must be very unusual as most re-locators fixate on a few neighborhoods that they've read about on CityData and think they are unique or special. In all honesty they really aren't. There are a few posters, such as myself, who chime in when we think we've something to add but we represent only a small subset of what is available. Denver was very small for a very long time. As a result there are many neighborhoods that were built on the fringes in the '60s and '70s that have good size to large lots and a very suburban feel but are considered close in now. The DTC has tons of these neighborhoods as does pretty much every direction radiating out from Denver.

The urban neighborhoods are those that were originally developed as suburbs in the streetcar era. They have older homes, late 1800s, early 1900s. They didn't have cars and people had to walk to the streetcars for work or ride horses so the homes are closer together, often with alleys. They definitely have a different feel to them. Lots of people love the character of these older areas and generally they have gone through a cycle of going downhill and then being revitalized. There are similar old areas near the smaller towns that used to exist on the fringes of Denver. These towns have been pretty much swallowed up as part of the general metro area. The outer cities that you read about generally tend to run together as one giant suburban sprawl and it would be easy to drive between them all without knowing your leaving one and entering another. You will generally find intermixed, older areas, suburban area and even some that feel very rural but yet sometimes close in. That is why I think you can generally find almost anything you want pretty close to where ever you end up working.

Cutting your commute time to less than 10 min. is the best quality of life enhancer you can give yourself in moving to Denver. Even better find a place walking or biking distance to work. I used to walk to work in the DTC and currently spouse rides a bike to the Jeffco airport.

In terms of your trip. Red rocks is a great idea. Nearby Mount Falcon is a great close in hiking area. The Denver Mint is a unique place to visit. Taking the nearby free Capitol tour is a fun touristy thing to do. I hope you find what your looking for here in Denver. It's no fun living with "coulda, shoulda, woulda..."

Last edited by mic111; 07-06-2012 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1510 View Post
I found Meridian Elementary - thank you. Where is the outdoor mall that you are referencing?
In google map type in McKay Lake Westminster Colorado.

You'll see Meridian elementary to the West. The horse properties to the North and the mall just east along 144th, close to I-25.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM

Default Here is a link to the boarding options

Quote:
Thanks. We would be open to property with or without a barn on the property as long as good options for boarding are nearby.
Here are some boarding options. I don't know how good they are.
Horse Boarding in Broomfield Colorado

You might be a little more citified than the local horse people. The ones around here have all sorts of animals including llamas and long haired steer of some sort. It's fun to walk through the neighborhoods and see them as well as the horses. There is also a 4H program that has a strong presence at the Adams County fair each year. Adams County Fair - Adams County Fair Home

Who knows, maybe your kids would enjoy the more rural lifestyle.
City & County of Broomfield

I also have a local farm in that area the I get my corn and veggies from in the fall. Amazingly the farmer seems to remember me each year. And there is a nice farm that sells raw cows milk and other natural products. I grew up in Ohio and we always went to the Amish farms for milk, eggs and other things. This is similar but on a smaller scale. Kids like seeing the cows where their milk comes from and the baby cows are always a hit. http://www.johnsonsacres.com/

Old 07-06-2012, 11:01 AM

"You might be a little more citified than the local horse people."

I am, yes. My wife would love it though. Thanks again to everyone. GREAT information!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
"You might be a little more citified than the local horse people."

I am, yes. My wife would love it though. Thanks again to everyone. GREAT information!
Not to worry. One visit to Sheplers and you will be all set.
Cowboy Boots, Western Wear, Western Clothing - Sheplers

Sheplers isn't a tourist spot, it is a real shopping spot. Although it should be tourist spot because of all the authentic western wear. Great place to get some souvenirs. Most people in Denver dress in normal jeans, shorts etc. But there are still some real cowboys and cowgirls around. You can see some of it being worn at the Grizzly Rose. http://www.grizzlyrose.com/

Last edited by mic111; 07-06-2012 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
1. Planning a four or five day trip, 2nd weekend in September. Is this a decent time of the year, or is this a mistake? It's the only weekend that works in our schedule. Will there be any fall color in the mountains this early?

hmm, dunno.

2. Potential job location - likely in the DTC area or downtown. For planning purposes I am going with the DTC area for this trip. I currently have a 70-minute one-way commute - I'd like to reduce that.

This is why I moved here. I work in the DTC and live just east (1.7miles) in Englewood (surrounded by Greenwood Village). Nice area, cherry creek part is just to the east. And light rail to downtown. Englewood goes way west of I-25. . i'm talking east englewood.

The cities/zip codes are a mess here. . so don't think you know where your at just by Littleton or Englewood address.

Other areas is Centennial (west of I-25, just west of tech center).

3. We would like to have fun on the trip along with checking out a few suburbs for potential relocation. After a lot of research I am thinking the Littleton, Highlands Ranch, or Parker area seem like a decent fit. We have two young kids (4 and 1) so schools will be very important. We are currently in a 3,000+ SF house, but we may also decide to downsize. Prefer a place that has great schools, parks, walking/running/biking trail system, good neighborhoods, etc..... would prefer to live within a mile or two of a small town that is walkable with good restaurant and decent night life options, but that is a bonus, not priority. I am requesting recommendations on "drive-through" areas since we do not plan on wasting time on this trip with a realtor. We'd likely try to catch lunch or dinner in one of these towns.

Littelton/highland ranch/lone tree/parker started to push the commute. They are big areas. I did a max 10mile from dtc and that gets you only edges of littleton, highlands ranch, parker. Downtown commute - forgada 'bout it.

The parks, walking trails, are great throughout the area.

Restaurants are no issue if you live even or above from arapahoe. I mean not only do you have lots of options in that area. . .it takes no time at all to get into the city (even by light rail). I can get Pho, Tortas, Ban Mi, and Dim Sum within 20 minutes.

4. Equestrian. This is where I seriously need help. My wife is an experienced rider who worked at a ranch when I met her - she wants to get back into equestrian life. I have no personal interest in this, but I want to support that dream of hers, so.....which of the areas in #3 above might be close to a ranch, barns, trails, or? Note: Acknowledging the drastic spectrum of personalities at barns - we're "down to earth" people, and not yuppies or snooty...thats just not our style. During the trip I would like to visit one or two of these places, so recommendations are welcome.

i wouldn't imagine a problem with that. . .if its a weekend thing. I.e. plenty of horseback options and stables as you head into the plains around the city. Horseback riding options in cherry creek. . .Owning a home that has horses for 400k doesn't support a small commute though.

5. Hiking trails. Of course we need to do some light exploring....but will be without backpacks so we will not be going anywhere deep. By chance I found a great waterfall and short trail near the Boulder area a few years back. Any recommendations?

Denver is king of trails, bike trails. Cool trails like you are talking about are more mountain. . .but living in the suburbs we are blown away by the miles upon miles of trails. . .cherry creek park might be fun for you.

6. Downtown. Thinking an afternoon and dinner on Lodo. Recommendations on locations to park and start from?

I just know lola really pissed me off, so I don't recommend that. There is a ton of great restaurants at larmier square downtown. Pretty cool area.

Lunch at Biker Jim's Gourmet Dogs

Some tortas to go from Las Tortas

Spend some time with a coffee and book at the tattered corner bookstore

7. Most beautiful area this time of year? I was considering Red Rocks. Never been there, but the web sites make it seem like the greatest place on earth. I'm open...

hmm, those mountains are always purty as far as I can tell.

8. Mountains beyond a hiking trail. Nearly each winter we stay in a family friend's Breckenridge condo and ski various mountains. Is it worth it to make a trip there in late summer? I hate to do that much more driving unless it's a "must do".
at this time of year, I don't know if the breckenridge/vail will be doing much. Its past their summer season, locals may know more. These places are happening during summer/winter. . .dead other times of year.

9. Other random stuff to do? We enjoy local bars with character. Maybe see what shows or concerts are happening while in town. Was also considering a day trip to Boulder but not sure it's worth it. Maybe go golfing. Probably won't have time for anything else anyway.....just open to any must-do recommendations...

do a brewery tour (a couple good ones on trip advisor). This is the micro-beer capital

Old 07-06-2012, 11:23 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
This is why I moved here. I work in the DTC and live just east (1.7miles) in Englewood (surrounded by Greenwood Village). Nice area, cherry creek part is just to the east. And light rail to downtown. Englewood goes way west of I-25. . i'm talking east englewood.

The cities/zip codes are a mess here. . so don't think you know where your at just by Littleton or Englewood address.

Other areas is Centennial (west of I-25, just west of tech center).
There's no such thing as "East Englewood." Never heard that term before. Englewood is a small city centered on Broadway and Hampden, going a mile or two in each direction. Where you just moved to, I'm guessing either 80111 or 80112, could be either in Greenwood Village, Centennial, or unincorporated Arapahoe County. Zip code 80012 even includes a few slivers of Douglas County such as the Meridian office park. Centennial is a narrow city going west from the Littleton border at Broadway to way out east bordering southeast Aurora. Some of these addresses still use "Englewood, CO" postal addresses. Maybe 20+ years ago people may have called all those areas "Englewood" but today none of the locals call it that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver