U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 AM

659 posts, read 814,531 times

Advertisements

I found a house I like in Highlands Ranch, it literally butts up next to Lone Tree. I had my husband drive by the house to look at it and he likes the house but not the area. He is a native and feels highlands ranch is below him. We currently rent in Highlands Ranch and it's been nice to be close to everything, it seems safe overall. I agree there are some areas that aren't so great but there are some really nice areas too, such as back country. Also it tends to look a little bland but you get used to it after awhile and not a big deal to me.

We can also get a newer nicer and bigger house in highlands ranch vs the areas he wants. What is the stigma with this area? I enjoy it here!

My realtor didn't have anything bad to say about highlands ranch, he said it's pretty down to personal preference but said you tend to get a better class of people in centennial. I didn't say anything, but centennial is full of old homes. I am just trying to understand the class stricture in Colorado because I am so confused!!! I just want a bigger newer home with a yard and not some SHACK but because it's in the right area that makes it ok (gag). Cherry creek vista and Arapahoe lakes are considered the slum to most people in that area, I am worried about my kids getting picked on. I did find a house in Sundance village, I guess I could suffer there for awhile but it's still considered a slum to people in the million dollar homes. I didn't know it was going to be so difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,026,635 times
I grew up in CO (not in Highlands Ranch tho) & always remember HR as being very desirable. Your husband must ne very upper crust to look down at HR that way. Or else I am really gettin old! Hope you get some feedback on here...good luck with your search!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 AM

12,278 posts, read 8,081,631 times
I live in Highlands Ranch and I love it. Great place to raise a family. There seems to be lots of hate towards it for some reason and I can't figure out why. What I have found is people that don't live here hate it and those that do love it. I also find that most "natives" hate it because how many transplants there are here and that it resembles Southern California suburbs. I am not sure what you mean by your husband thinks it is below him.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I live in Highlands Ranch and I love it. Great place to raise a family. There seems to be lots of hate towards it for some reason and I can't figure out why. What I have found is people that don't live here hate it and those that do love it. I also find that most "natives" hate it because how many transplants there are here and that it resembles Southern California suburbs. I am not sure what you mean by your husband thinks it is below him.

I agree, it seems to be a fun place to live. As for my husband he just turns hi snose up at highlands ranch and I been unable to sway him to look at houses here, except for the rental we are currently in. I am from out of state and he has been gone from Colorado for over 10 years. We rented a hoiuse in highlands rnch becaus eit ws cheap and had yard for our dogs and it's been fine until we find a home to move into.

My husband grew up in Centennial and went to school there. Realtors are no help because they dont seem fond of highlands ranch, like I said they don't really say anything bad about it but really don't push this area unlike Centennial. I have talked to 4 different realtors and they just kind of get the impression they don't like the area.

Highlands ranch is pretty big! obviously someone likes it right? Is it considered low class? I thought SE Denver in general was considered a good part of Denver. I simply don't get it and trying to understand whats going on here..... like some deep secret only natives know about.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,312,355 times
Just depends on what you like, some people like living downtown with constant noise, homeless people peeing on your door step, traffic, etc.

and some like nice bigger homes, quiet, no traffic, and in many cases cheaper than the above

Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,026,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I also find that most "natives" hate it because how many transplants there are here and that it resembles Southern California suburbs. I am not sure what you mean by your husband thinks it is below him.
You know, I will never get why locals in any state get their hackles up when out-of-staters move in. I see this in almost every state I spend time in; read about it on CD, etc. I am in upstate NY & we are in serious trouble. If it wasn't for the new nanotech transplants, I doubt we could dig our way back out.

I may have to move back to CO for family reasons. I'd much rather move to the mid-Atlantic or south, but if i do end up in CO, I will look into HR specifically because of the transplanted mix you describe. A nice way to enrich our lives and expand beyond what we know!

Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM

It is definitely not considered low class. It is considered middle to upper middle class mixed in with some really affluent areas. I just know a lot of people born here despise it because of what it represents. Also, look at the values of homes here compared to other areas in the metro area. When houses weren't moving in other areas they were moving here and the values never dipped drastically. Take a drive to the West side of HR and take a look. There is a lot different areas here.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
You know, I will never get why locals in any state get their hackles up when out-of-staters move in. I see this in almost every state I spend time in; read about it on CD, etc. I am in upstate NY & we are in serious trouble. If it wasn't for the new nanotech transplants, I doubt we could dig our way back out.

I may have to move back to CO for family reasons. I'd much rather move to the mid-Atlantic or south, but if i do end up in CO, I will look into HR specifically because of the transplanted mix you describe. A nice way to enrich our lives and expand beyond what we know!
Exactly. I have friends that were born here and absolutely HATE where I live. They tried to talk me out of moving here. They say the traffic is terrible but when I drive to where they live the traffic is even worse. I just believe they hate it because what it represents.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Is falcon homes a good builder? I never heard of them before, but that's the builder of this house I love. Yeah it's in highlands ranch but it has a large yard that backs up to a green space, as a matter of fact I saw 2 deer there yesterday! It's almost 5000 sq feet, 2 decks in the back. Much better than the 1970 Brady bunch houses I been looking at. The only thing I didn't like about the subdivision was the streets seemed really narrow and that bothered me a bit and too many cars parked in the street vs the driveway which made it worse.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,323,805 times
Default Go with your heart

Quote:
1. Realtor said it's pretty down to personal preference but said you tend to get a better class of people in Centennial.
What?!
Find a new agent. This one is an idiot.
(Let's get this out in the open. I despise Highlands Ranch. It represents everything I hate about Southern California-style burbs (it was created, after all, by Mission Viejo). It is bland (people and colors of houses). It has HOAs. It has gated communities.)
Having said that, I would bet you that the "class" of people in HR and Centennial are almost identical. Centennial probably skew a bit older in people's ages and definitely in the age of the housing stock.

Quote:
2. The only thing I didn't like about the subdivision was the streets seemed really narrow and that bothered me a bit and too many cars parked in the street vs the driveway which made it worse.
Some HOAs may prevent this. I am not sure. There have been other threads on this forum about where people park their cars. If it really bothers you, then look elsewhere because it won't change after you move in.

3. You have kids. What should count first and foremost is the school system.

4. In some respects, I think you are over analyzing. Find a house you like in a school system that you like. Ask yourself, will I enjoy living here for 5+ years. If yes, then make an offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver