Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 03:29 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Denver has no ghetto as one from Detroit or East St Louis or Anacostia, DC or Chicago would visualize one. There are a few sketchy parts, but otherwise Denver is probably one of the safer places you cold end up. Get a job lined up first, if you can, and come on out.
Agree 100%. There are no ghettos here in Denver. None. There might be some low-income apartment complexes here and there, but as far as a "ghetto" like southside chicago or southeast DC...no way. Denver is probably the safest city I've ever lived in.

These corny little kids I see at the mall that think they're bloods and crips crack me up. "Yes, you're so tough. Growing up on the mean streets of Aurora." LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:02 PM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupont View Post
I met an acquaintance who grew up in Denver and told me to stay away from Five Points when I asked if there is any place I should avoid crime-wise. Any comments from others on that? I like the location of that area for housing and I'm guessing there are good and bad blocks (?), or not?
Five points is more in transition than a bad neighborhood. When I first lived in Denver growing up I was told by my parents to avoid that neighborhood at all costs. Right now the 5 points neighborhood has changed (and is changing) to the point where I have no problem going to or taking kids to Five points. It's such a big neighborhood that there are some areas that have improved more than others. Closer to the ballpark is more post-industrial lofts, new apartments/condos/townhomes, still industrial warehouses, and various restaurants/coffee shops/breweries/bars. The area around Curtis Park has very nice historic homes that over the past decade or so saw a lot of renovations. Also near Curtis Park is some affordable housing that scares off some people. Is Five points one of the safest neighborhoods in Denver? No but it's a lot better than it was, and although stalled a bit by the recession IMO it seems like it is still on the way up. Is it safe enough? Acceptable degrees of safety vary person to person.

Areas I personally would avoid living in due to safety concerns within Denver proper: North Park Hill, Westwood, Ahtmar Park, Valverde and Montbello. However, after living in much larger cities on the coasts and in the midwest I would not classify them as ghetto.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I was told north denver and lakewood but i haven't been to either to know how bad it is. I been to aurora a few times, it kind of depends on the area I think.
There are good and bad neighborhoods in all those areas.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times
It goes more block to block than actual areas...but there ARE areas that seem bigger though not ghetto. North Aurora, North Denver, South Thornton, Commerce city, Swansea, Montbello, Green Valley Ranch, The area West of I-25 from about Alameda to 20th Street and West to Sheridan is bad.
Parts of South Westminster are not good either...but no ghetto per se.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgoodman View Post
Areas I personally would avoid living in due to safety concerns within Denver proper: North Park Hill, Westwood, Ahtmar Park, Valverde and Montbello. However, after living in much larger cities on the coasts and in the midwest I would not classify them as ghetto.
Agree, those are the worst neighborhoods in Denver. You can also probably throw in Cole/Whittier (in between Five Points and North Park Hill) and north Aurora along Colfax. You hear about the most shootings/homicides in the Whittier/North Park Hill area where mostly black gangs are prevalent. It's not a war zone like parts of Detroit, Chicago and other cities but it is a high crime neighborhood and one you don't want to be wandering around in at night.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Agree, those are the worst neighborhoods in Denver. You can also probably throw in Cole/Whittier (in between Five Points and North Park Hill) and north Aurora along Colfax. You hear about the most shootings/homicides in the Whittier/North Park Hill area where mostly black gangs are prevalent. It's not a war zone like parts of Detroit, Chicago and other cities but it is a high crime neighborhood and one you don't want to be wandering around in at night.
Personally I would put those Cole/Whittier/Skyland/Clayton neighborhoods at border line with a lot of indicators showing the neighborhoods are improving so the crime rate should in theory follow. It also varies greatly block to block within those neighborhoods. I know a few couples who chose to live in those neighborhoods (two of them have started families) over moving to similar priced properties further out and so far none of them regret it.

In agreement on North Park Hill, and North Aurora though. There is some hope for parts of North Aurora becoming safe with the hospitals moving in and sparking some renewal, but North Aurora has a long way to go.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 08-02-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
We seem to have lost our OP. She was probably turned off by the snark in the early part of the thread.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Ibut there ARE areas that seem bigger though not ghetto. ...North Denver, ...The area West of I-25 from about Alameda to 20th Street and West to Sheridan is bad
Wow! Just amazing.
1. The area between Federal- Sheridan and Colfax (15th)-20th is Sloan's Lake. One of the most desirable neighborhoods in Denver.
2. "North Denver". I have no idea where this is. There is no such neighborhood in Denver. I live in what some old timers refer to as "The North Side" which is comprised of Highland, West Highland, Berkeley, Sunnyside. Can you say trendy?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:29 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I don't understand why people are so rude sometimes. People come here to ask questions and so what if it's been asked before.

I feel very safe in Denver. 5 Points is definitely up and coming. There are less than desirable places here like anywhere, but a true ghetto? Nope. Come on out, Denver is great!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

205 posts, read 503,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't understand why people are so rude sometimes. People come here to ask questions and so what if it's been asked before.

I feel very safe in Denver. 5 Points is definitely up and coming. There are less than desirable places here like anywhere, but a true ghetto? Nope. Come on out, Denver is great!
Exactly. Why waste your time being rude. Just ignore the thread. Life is too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver