Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 AM

236 posts, read 370,489 times

Advertisements

No ghettos true - but dodgy areas, also true.

The stretch of Morrison Rd, wasn't the best back in the '70s, but it's bad news now.

Another place that's degraded a bit is around Brentwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,589 times
Default No Ghetto's in Denver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggabb View Post
I have spent the past three months reading all the forums I could about Denver. Out of the hundreds of posts I have read I didn't see anything that really compared the rough areas of Denver to Detroit or Flint, so I couldn't really grasp the connections people were making. I was just trying to get a frame of reference, sorry
We are relatively new to the area (we live in Highlands Ranch) but have been as far north as Longmont and West as Breckenridge. I have never seen so many white people in my life! I grew up in Detroit (suburbs), lived in Houston, Galveston (the most Ghetto city next to Detroit), Phoenix, San Diego, and Dallas. Most of my life I have been the minority - but not in Denver. I miss the diversity.

It's been a very long time since I lived in Detroit, but nothing in Denver compares. Michigan has gone through some extremely hard times the past 30+ years - something that Denver and most of the rest of the country hasn't really experienced on that level.

Not sure that answers your question! But if you're visualizing bullet holes in houses and buildings, graffiti, trash piled up for months, rows and rows of vacant homes, neighborhoods, buildings and business districts like Detroit
you won't find it in Denver. I think maybe your friends are using the term 'Ghetto' loosely based on an Eminem song or something. I'm sure there are some shady characters and areas to avoid, but what city doesn't have that? We love Denver and it was a hard move coming from the beach!

Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Diversity is welcomed here. I live in Highlands Ranch too and it is about as white as you can get but we have some minority neighbors and they fit in just fine.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Diversity is welcomed here. I live in Highlands Ranch too and it is about as white as you can get but we have some minority neighbors and they fit in just fine.
While the majority of my immediate neighbors are white (probably 80%), living in Stapleton, we're surrounded by non-white people, so we interact with black and Hispanic people (and immigrants from around the world) wherever we go in public. So it always strikes me as strange when people say Denver is so "white". It just depends on where you live.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:16 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
LOL, that is one thing I must agree with. We absolutely LOVE it here in Denver...but man, its pretty white LOL. As triplejms said above me, Denver is by far the least diverse city I've ever lived in. Born and raised in DC, spent time in Carolina, Seattle, and now Denver. Everywhere I've lived were melting pots of culture, until I got here LOL.

With that said, my wife and I are black, and we've never felt uncomfortable here. We live in Douglas County (Parker), which is literally less than 1% black LOL. We are usually the only black people at Costco, Safeway, Home Depot, etc LOL. it doesn't bother us one bit, and we've never experienced anything that made us felt not welcome. Its not like my wife's hometown of Columbia, SC where we'd get looks from people if we went out to a nice restaurant. Ugh, don't get me started on the south.

Anywho, Denver is probably the safest big city I've lived in. Are there some sketchy areas where I wouldn't want to walk around at night? Sure. But I wouldn't fear for my life or anything. As long as you keep to yourself, I'd honestly think you could walk around any neighborhood in Denver or Aurora and not get messed with. Hell, that's just about anywhere.

But Denver having a true "ghetto" like Detroit, DC, Philly, Jersey...etc. No way, not even close.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:29 AM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I don't understand why people are so rude sometimes. People come here to ask questions and so what if it's been aked before.

I feel very safe in Denver. 5 Points is definitely up and coming. There are less than desirable places here like anywhere, but a true ghetto? Nope. Come on out, Denver is great!
Look at the post history of the rude poster and u can see that nearly every post he has something rude or nasty to say. Never anything positive or helpful or worthwhile. Just rude and nasty comments. Thats how that person is. Hes probably frustrated, bored and unhappy and being rude and nasty is a way for him to relieve stress.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
LOL, that is one thing I must agree with. We absolutely LOVE it here in Denver...but man, its pretty white LOL. As triplejms said above me, Denver is by far the least diverse city I've ever lived in. Born and raised in DC, spent time in Carolina, Seattle, and now Denver. Everywhere I've lived were melting pots of culture, until I got here LOL.

With that said, my wife and I are black, and we've never felt uncomfortable here. We live in Douglas County (Parker), which is literally less than 1% black LOL. We are usually the only black people at Costco, Safeway, Home Depot, etc LOL. it doesn't bother us one bit, and we've never experienced anything that made us felt not welcome. Its not like my wife's hometown of Columbia, SC where we'd get looks from people if we went out to a nice restaurant. Ugh, don't get me started on the south.

Anywho, Denver is probably the safest big city I've lived in. Are there some sketchy areas where I wouldn't want to walk around at night? Sure. But I wouldn't fear for my life or anything. As long as you keep to yourself, I'd honestly think you could walk around any neighborhood in Denver or Aurora and not get messed with. Hell, that's just about anywhere.

But Denver having a true "ghetto" like Detroit, DC, Philly, Jersey...etc. No way, not even close.
Well, you live in Parker. That's not Denver. The actual city of Denver is quite racially diverse

Old 01-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Well, you live in Parker. That's not Denver. The actual city of Denver is quite racially diverse
Fair enough

My wife and I both work downtown, and we spend a lot of time meeting friends for happy hour or dinner downtown as well. While there's a lot more color in and around the city as opposed the southern suburbs, its still not quite what I'm used to. Either way, we've been here for over 3 years now and I'm adjusted lol.

Hope I didn't come across as rude in any way, that was not my intention. Denver is the ****.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 AM

694 posts, read 1,039,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
LOL, that is one thing I must agree with. but man, its pretty white LOL. .
Most of the people the Denver and Aurora cops have been unlawfully killing aren't white. The majority of calls I get pertaining to civil rights violations by law enforcement are not from white people.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Most of the people the Denver and Aurora cops have been unlawfully killing aren't white. The majority of calls I get pertaining to civil rights violations by law enforcement are not from white people.
no arguments there...but that's an entirely separate issue LOL. If people would simply follow the instructions of the police officer, 99% of police shootings could be avoided. I know it must be frustrating if you've done nothing wrong and are being harrassed by police, but save your argument for a courtroom with a lawyer. Don't argue and ignore their instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver