U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM

5 posts, read 7,044 times
Smile Denver Ghetto?

I am finishing up my degree in Michigan and plan to move to Denver when I graduate in June. I currently live in a nice suburb on the outskirts of Detroit and grew up in Flint MI. I am not ashamed to admit that I am petrified of these cities, they are just as bad if not worse than the news portrays them. The main reason I am moving to Denver is because it seems to be a safe city.

A friend has turned me onto this site and after ready many forums I have seen that people refer to parts of Denver as being "Ghetto". Now I understand with a big city comes higher crime and that is fine with me, and I don't mind seeing homeless people or drug addicts or even prostitutes for that matter. As long as they are not trying to harm me I have no problem.

So I guess what I am trying to ask is, does Denver have area's that are legitimately Ghetto with shootings, rapes, murders, etc on a daily or weekly basis.... or is it more like rich people saying there is a "ghetto" because the buildings are tagged and there are homeless people?? Like I said I grew up in Flint and currently reside by Detroit, so take that into account if possible when answering my post.

Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM

6,674 posts, read 5,383,211 times
Default Do your research.

Before asking the question(s), you should have spent at least 5 hours perusing this Denver forum.
Your "ghetto" question would have been answered.

¿Habla usted Español?

Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM

17,193 posts, read 23,775,334 times
Denver has no ghetto as one from Detroit or East St Louis or Anacostia, DC or Chicago would visualize one. There are a few sketchy parts, but otherwise Denver is probably one of the safer places you cold end up. Get a job lined up first, if you can, and come on out.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,044 times
Default No I do not speak Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Before asking the question(s), you should have spent at least 5 hours perusing this Denver forum.
Your "ghetto" question would have been answered.

¿Habla usted Español?

I have spent the past three months reading all the forums I could about Denver. Out of the hundreds of posts I have read I didn't see anything that really compared the rough areas of Denver to Detroit or Flint, so I couldn't really grasp the connections people were making. I was just trying to get a frame of reference, sorry

Old 07-30-2012, 07:56 PM

6,674 posts, read 5,383,211 times
Default Then why didn't you say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggabb View Post
I have spent the past three months reading all the forums I could about Denver. Out of the hundreds of posts I have read I didn't see anything
Them why did you not begin your post with that?

We get numerous posts here about Denver and "ghetto".

There ain't no ghetto in Denver.

Not so nice areas. Sure. Think North Aurora.
But, no ghetto. (Unless you think of Hilltop as a "ghetto".)

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 14,030,416 times
Most of Denver is not scary. The bad parts of Denver aren't places where you would just wind up accidentally; you'd have to go out of your way to be in those parts. There's no reason you would live there unless if you were searching for absolute dirt cheap rents. However, crime can and does happen anywhere, so street smarts are a good thing to have no matter where you live.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:59 PM

48 posts, read 45,105 times
No true ghettos in Denver at all. There are areas that I choose not to go to, simply to avoid trouble, but if I did go to these areas I wouldn't be shot because of the color of my skin, or the color of my shirt or baseball hat.

As you eluded to above, if you hear someone call a part of Denver ghetto, it's probably some rich white guy from highlands ranch who is scared of by black and brown people, and using the word ghetto in the wrong way...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Status: "Will soon be put on a long timeout" (set 20 days ago)

3,053 posts, read 2,360,594 times
There are a lot of cities out there that are safer than Detroit and Flint. Denver isn't the only one. And I'm sure Denver has plenty of areas that are less safe than your current suburb, and if you don't have any money, that's where you're likely to end up.

If being safer than Detroit is your main requirement for your first home after college, cast a wide net, and search for jobs all over the place. At the current time, I'd try communicating with people to find out where's a good place to find a job in industries that you're qualified to work in. Denver's unemployment rate could possibly be back on the way up. I think there are probably easier places out there to find a job in most industries.

I've found that many posts on this website's city forums tend to exaggerate the "dangerousness" of various aspects of life, by the way.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:08 PM

45 posts, read 38,048 times
I met an acquaintance who grew up in Denver and told me to stay away from Five Points when I asked if there is any place I should avoid crime-wise. Any comments from others on that? I like the location of that area for housing and I'm guessing there are good and bad blocks (?), or not?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:18 PM

659 posts, read 214,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupont View Post
I met an acquaintance who grew up in Denver and told me to stay away from Five Points when I asked if there is any place I should avoid crime-wise. Any comments from others on that? I like the location of that area for housing and I'm guessing there are good and bad blocks (?), or not?

I was told north denver and lakewood but i haven't been to either to know how bad it is. I been to aurora a few times, it kind of depends on the area I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver