U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,149 times

Advertisements

Stay away from the highlands. In general the area is far away from everything and a pain in the ass to get to anything in the areas east of town where things are. Everyone I know who lives in that area is miserable with the amount of effort it takes to do things where things happen -- which is anywhere but there.

You want to live east or south of downtown proper. Uptown, Capitol Hill, Cheeseman. Maybe even City Park or City Park West. You might also consider areas along south Broadway down to around I-25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:48 PM

360 posts, read 1,008,622 times
I'm considering all the areas you mentioned here, but haven't thought about South of Downtown on Broadway. I know it's very RTD accessible, but what about the area in general. Safe? Plenty of bars, coffee shops, restaurants, etc that you can walk to. I'd say right now, Capitol Hill is my preferred area, any advice on S. Broad? How about parks, I have to walk my dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Stay away from the highlands. In general the area is far away from everything and a pain in the ass to get to anything in the areas east of town where things are. Everyone I know who lives in that area is miserable with the amount of effort it takes to do things where things happen -- which is anywhere but there.

You want to live east or south of downtown proper. Uptown, Capitol Hill, Cheeseman. Maybe even City Park or City Park West. You might also consider areas along south Broadway down to around I-25.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM

1,176 posts, read 4,035,149 times
The area on south Broadway east of Broadway, what realtors call West Wash Park is safe and close to those things on Broadway.

There are parks in the area, just take a gander at google maps.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,837 times
Default you seem to know; please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post

My family is also moving soon. I will be working in aurora, but we seem to be finding the best rates on houses to rent in Englewood. is there a reason for that? is that a bad area?

I have two children and I want to live somewhere safe but we cannot afford over $1000 a month, and we also have 'bad credit' as a result of myself getting a masters degree, and my husbands bachelors degree, although we pay on them, it still shows our 'debt to income' ratio as being too bad for an apartment to rent to us apparently.

SO we are stuck trying to find a private landlord, and have NO idea about the different areas of the city or anything at all! Can you help me at all? my email is taraeveland@gmail.com

I would sooooo appreciate anyones help in this matter! We plan to move as soon as we get our taxes, I have a job lined up at a portrait studio in aurora so sometime in the next month or two. obviously the job will want me to start on a certain date and i dont want my family living out of a hotel room!

Old 01-17-2014, 04:25 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default Englewood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodenver2014 View Post
best rates on houses to rent in Englewood
Englewood, the city?
Englewood, the postal address?
They are not the same except for a small geographic area.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,837 times
Default I think the city?

4370 S. Acoma St, Englewood)

here is the ad Im looking at

$1100/2br - 755ft remodeled duplex with full open basement

Old 01-17-2014, 05:11 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,610,218 times
The city of Englewood (which this property is in) is full of older residential housing, usually fairly small with not a lot of square footage. The area is safe, regardless of the fact that you are one block from S. Broadway, the major street that connects Denver to Englewood and Littleton and down into Highlands Ranch. Along Broadway in that area you will find mixed commercial storefronts like tattoo shops, medical marijuana (no recreational in Englewood), liquor stores, dry cleaners, Starbucks, banks, auto repair and the like. A new Sprouts grocery store is being built six blocks south of the address you posted.

You are not far from light rail and the town center with library next to a small amphitheater at the light rail stop which holds free concerts weekly in the summer. It's a perfectly decent place to live, just older.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:41 PM

28 posts, read 43,905 times
Highlands area can be expensive and most of the action is on the east side. It can take quite some time to get anywhere when the buses only run about what every 20/30 minutes? If you have to make connections that makes it very hard.

If I was single I would be looking in cap hill for an older building and NOT have a car.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,196,196 times
Default Grammar Nazi Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Mom View Post
If I was single
were

Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 AM

557 posts, read 665,422 times
I'll echo the pro Capitol Hill sentiment (from several years ago), and that the south section is the "better" part of the area.

It sounds stupid, but if you find a place where you have to park on the street, a one way street is much than the very narrow two ways with parking on either side. Lot less likely to have your mirror knocked off on the more spacious one ways.

You can easily get around without a car in Capitol Hill. Plenty of bus stops around the area, and no shortage of bicyclists. Or just walk. We are within walking distance (less than 10 minutes) of several bars and many restaurants, dry cleaners, vets office, some different retail shops, King Soopers (grocery store), and two parks. On a nice day, we could walk to downtown.

One of the other things I greatly like about Cap Hill is that there is no one demographic. It's not the party, frat/"bro" scene that Lodo is, but it's not a retirement home either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or