U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 66,210 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to move someplace near downtown Denver area over the Winter months this year. I was just wondering if there are some places that i should avoid due to crime and also if there are some areas that are more desirable and safe in this regard? I will not have a car at first and will be using the transportation system and walking at first as well.

Also, are there areas near Downtown that i could live(looking to rent a room) that will be reasonably safe to walk at night to and from restaurants and bars etc. I have never been to Denver so this is why i ask. I have heard so many positive things about Denver and am looking forward to visiting and seeing for myself.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 AM

2,973 posts, read 4,537,280 times
Check out the Highlands area....it is a 15 minute walk to the heart of downtown, plus the neighborhood itself is chock-full of nice bars, restaurants, and shops.

I feel very safe there, and it is a lot quieter than you would think.....

Old 10-03-2007, 10:19 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,607,634 times
Highlands is a great neighborhood, but to be honest only the very southeastern edge of it would truly be a 15 minute walk to downtown.

Compared to most other cities, downtown Denver is pretty safe. There are a few "bad areas" in Denver, but these days I don't think any of them would be within an easy walk of Downtown Denver.

Living in the Central Business District or LoDo is an option if you have lots of money. One place to consider in the Central Business District is 1600 Glenarm apartments -- but they go for a whopping $1400.00 per month for a 1BR! Another place to look at are the the apartments in Riverfront Park or in the Commons Park West -- these are closer to LoDo in the Central Platte Valley.

Capitol Hill or Cheesman Park areas are an easy walk to downtown, as well as to necessities like grocery stores and all types of shopping. They are also on all the main bus routes. If you live there, you could do fine without a car. They're pretty safe if you keep some street-smarts about you, but not as safe as the previously mentioned Highlands. Still, I mentioned them because I think without a car you'd get along better there.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:17 AM

2,973 posts, read 4,537,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Highlands is a great neighborhood, but to be honest only the very southeastern edge of it would truly be a 15 minute walk to downtown.

Compared to most other cities, downtown Denver is pretty safe. There are a few "bad areas" in Denver, but these days I don't think any of them would be within an easy walk of Downtown Denver.

Living in the Central Business District or LoDo is an option if you have lots of money. One place to consider in the Central Business District is 1600 Glenarm apartments -- but they go for a whopping $1400.00 per month for a 1BR! Another place to look at are the the apartments in Riverfront Park or in the Commons Park West -- these are closer to LoDo in the Central Platte Valley.

Capitol Hill or Cheesman Park areas are an easy walk to downtown, as well as to necessities like grocery stores and all types of shopping. They are also on all the main bus routes. If you live there, you could do fine without a car. They're pretty safe if you keep some street-smarts about you, but not as safe as the previously mentioned Highlands. Still, I mentioned them because I think without a car you'd get along better there.

Well.....I guess i live on the edge then (32nd and Shoshone)

Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM

2,755 posts, read 8,607,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Well.....I guess i live on the edge then (32nd and Shoshone)
HighlandsGal, that area is only a few minutes walk to the bridge. However, Highlands is a big neighborhood -- plus most people who don't live in Denver group Highlands and West Highlands together.

But your point is well taken -- EAST highlands is probably a 15 minute walk to downtown (well, union station anyway), but WEST highlands would be quite a hike.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 66,210 times
Thanks for your input everybody!

Well the highlands does sound like a nice area! I was wondering also if there would be decent bus service from the highlands going into the downtown area?

I will be coming out in the winter and don't want to be trudging around in to much snow if in fact there will be much this year.

But i am also looking into the Downtown area as well but as with most cities i did have my concern about bad neighborhoods etc. if you know what i mean. Getting mugged isn't high on my list of things to do before i die ; )

thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 143,825 times
my husband and I will be moving to colorado in April. we've never been to Colorado but we have read horrible comments about almost all the apartment communities in lakewood,littleton, Highlands ranch, Denver and other places that is making my apartment search really difficult. i have a daughter so i'll definately need a safe area. can someone please help us find a good neighbourhood and possibly a good apartment. we will be working in Englewood and Denver. we dont care about rent and transportation. thank you!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:50 PM

8,633 posts, read 19,074,187 times
it depends on where work is, what kind of amenities you need, and what the property has to have.

There are not many unsafe places.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 4,095,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekburk View Post
Hello,
I am looking to move someplace near downtown Denver area over the Winter months this year. I was just wondering if there are some places that i should avoid due to crime and also if there are some areas that are more desirable and safe in this regard? I will not have a car at first and will be using the transportation system and walking at first as well.

Also, are there areas near Downtown that i could live(looking to rent a room) that will be reasonably safe to walk at night to and from restaurants and bars etc. I have never been to Denver so this is why i ask. I have heard so many positive things about Denver and am looking forward to visiting and seeing for myself.

thanks!
I live in Capitol Hill and would recommend it if you are not going to have a car. Easily accessible to public transportation, bars/clubs, movie theaters (indy films) and most importantly - grocery stores. The south end is the best section, but you really won't have to worry about crime if you have, as TFox puts it, some street smarts. Highlands is great, but no grocery stores and is at least a mile walk to the core of downtown. Ideal for those with a car or a bike, however, and wonderful ciommunity developing. This would be my second choice of living. Also, check out the areas of Baker and south City Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilila View Post
my husband and I will be moving to colorado in April. we've never been to Colorado but we have read horrible comments about almost all the apartment communities in lakewood,littleton, Highlands ranch, Denver and other places that is making my apartment search really difficult. i have a daughter so i'll definately need a safe area. can someone please help us find a good neighbourhood and possibly a good apartment. we will be working in Englewood and Denver. we dont care about rent and transportation. thank you!
There are some decent apartment complexes in all of those communities you mention, which have you looked at. Search the Denver Tech Center area as well. Newer complexes the closer you get to the light rail lines.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 41,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekburk View Post
Hello,

thanks!
Like Aztec said, Capitol Hill is great. I rarely drive. You might want to check out the Speer neighborhood as well (just south of Capitol Hill). I've lived in Capitol Hill for years and never not felt safe walking home at night. Capitol Hill has great access to downtown, bars, public transportation, and grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver