Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 21,397 times

Advertisements

My mom wants to move out to the Denver area shortly after we relocate to Highlands Ranch. She's in her 60's and I'd like some suggestions on apartment complexes where she will not be the only 'older person.' Thank you in advance for all your recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,372,995 times
You will find that there are many senior only apartments in the Denver area. They will have to follow HUD rules for these restrictions. Senior Housing - HUD

I have been looking more for this type of housing for myself. I am a senior and I am thinking of selling my home and move to senior housing. I live in the older suburbs and there are many more available as there are more older residents.

You will find much housing that caters to seniors around hospitals because they need the close availability of medical care. However, most of the hospitals in your area are new and have not yet developed that type of community.

You should also determine your mother's level of financing. There are many types of housing built only for seniors that are under HUD section 202. This is where a developer his given tax incentives, low interest loans and grants to built housing for seniors and must rent at a set market level. They are income qualified and on a sliding scale but it is not always what one would consider poor. Section 202 is not at the lower level of income to qualify as for HUD section 8 which is for the poor. There have many new apartments built recently under this program, in this area. Most people only know Section 8 housing but do not realize that many Section 8 are new housing and the Section 202 can be very modern.

Here are example of those types of housing under section 202:
The Terraces on Pennsylvania Senior Residences « Community Management This complex is right near one of our Major Hospital, Swedish, in the City of Englewood.
Lakewood Housing Authority offers this housing, under section 202 MWHS

I would suggest that you contact your local housing office in Douglas, Arapahoe County or Littleton to find good housing that is available under HUD 202 and have senior restrictions. Highlands Ranch is not a municipality and only and development and I do not think they maintain a housing office.

The best place, on line, to look for affordable housing is:
Search Affordable Housing and Apartments

This is good link about senior housing and a link, within, to search in Colorado
http://www.seniorresource.com/hsoa.htm#begin However you will find that most senior housing exist in older areas of the Denver region

I have found that newer, modern apartments in the newer areas of the south towns are not so available as in the the older established areas of the metro areas. There are not even that many older complexes that have a good senior population because old complexes are less and there are less older seniors. I think HR has neglected senior needs until recently when they have hired some sort of senior resource manager because some of the residents are getting older and have needs that they want satisfied where they are living.

If your mother is at the higher income then most high end senior housing is located in Denver. You can see many, which are high rises, when you drive down Speer. If one is at the high income level, one would have more choices in senior condominiums than apartments as the choice would be a condominium.

You can find very nice modern and expensive apartments in the South Towns but they cater to a younger crowd. Of course, there are well off seniors that can afford and live in these apartment complexes and are not bothered that there are few of them around and enjoy living with mostly younger people. It is possible to find senior complexes in the south towns but you will have to do the research on the link that I have provided. I know of none in Highlands Ranch but there will be many in the original older city of Littleton, not just a Littleton zip code. Living in the older denser area of Littleton is very nice and I would not reject such senior housing.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-04-2012 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 03:39 PM

11,822 posts, read 34,349,149 times
Everything depends on the price range. There are apartments, condos, and duplexes, and houses for sale and rent, and then there is the newer Erickson and Hyatt...

Old 08-04-2012, 08:50 PM

10 posts, read 21,397 times
Livecontent -- all I can say is wow and thank you so much for your insights! Thank you for taking the time and putting so much thought and energy into your response. Please know it's appreciated and I have a lot of good info to share with my mom

All the best!
Kelly

Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,105,536 times
My wife's grandparents lived in an apartment that was on Windemere, one block south of Littleton Blvd. I can't remember the name, but it was very affordable. They seemed to like it okay.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:21 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,372,995 times
^ Great suggestion! This is senior apartments for 55 years or older.

I been to these Apartments that on Windermere, many years ago and I forgot all about it. It is a large complex and has been there for years. Nice grounds. It is called Southview Place. It is just behind a supermarket. I have found the website Littleton, Colorado Apartments in the Southview Place Towers apartments in Littleton, Colorado A nice old and safe area of Littleton and public bus transit is nearby.

Thanks Davidv,

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-04-2012 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM

659 posts, read 1,012,314 times
I know someone who own homes in Willow Creek and there are full kitchens on the main floor and basement. He rents out to 4 people or couples over 65 in each home. He showed me one 3 weeks ago and it was so nice, they have to be independent but it's better than living in a home. I believe he has homes in other areas as well.

My MIL is looking at patio homes for retired people off Arapahoe and holly and its next to kaiser but she said the HOA was 200 a month nd wasn't worth it.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,618,416 times
Kells Bells, I wonder about your perspective of calling someone in their 60's "elderly". I just turned 65 and I still consider myself middle-aged! Do young people really think that 60's is elderly???

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 08-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: IPad's silly correcting

Old 08-05-2012, 12:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,012,314 times
I read somewhere middle aged is 35 - 50. Unless you plan on living past 120 you would be considered elderly.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Kells Bells, I wonder about your perspective of calling someone in their 60's "elderly". I just turned 65 and I still consider myself middle-aged! Do young people really think that 60's is elderly???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I read somewhere middle aged is 35 - 50. Unless you plan on living past 120 you would be considered elderly.
Ming Ming, you will find as you get older that your age that one is "elderly" gets older and older. But still, many 65 year olds are still in the work force. People born between 1943 and 1954 reach full retirement age at 66. The oldest of them just retired in 2009, are now 69. I don't count anyone "elderly" until they're done working. I have worked with the elderly, and there is a huge difference between someone 65 and someone 85. Most people don't start acting "elderly" until about 75, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver