Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,172 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am moving out west to Denver, CO early September from the Washington D.C. metro area. I wanted to get some feedback on which routes to take that will make for some good stops on the way. We are thinking of making it ~4-5 day trip.

St. Louis seems to stand out as a good place to stay, I am looking for advice on any other cool cities to visit on the journey. Any opinions are welcome. I'll be moving with my girlfriend, both of us are 25, but not necessarily only looking for late night fun scenes. Detours are an option as well, but we wouldn't want to stray too far off-route (we are considering going to Nashville).

Thanks for all the feedback and help, we are beginners in traveling about the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
This will help with St Louis

National Lampoons Vacation - The Hood - YouTube

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Not a lot between DC and St. Louis on I-70, which I presume you are taking. You could try Columbus the first night. I dunno, anywhere in KS you could get a room would work the night after St. Louis and then you'd be in Denver the next night.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
I just moved from the DC area to Colorado. I drove it twice, once alone and once with my family. Depending on the route, there's a bit of pretty scenery in WV and KY, followed by lots of hot monotony in IN, IL, MO and KS. St. Louis has a really nice downtown, and if you're a foodie, you have to stop in St. Louis and KC for BBQ. Kansas is an endless wasteland full of construction slow downs, but you can make a detour to see the world's largest prairie dog and pet the baby pig!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM

90 posts, read 368,064 times
I moved from Gaithersburg almost 7 years ago, but took I-70 the whole way. Let's just say the first half of the trip was prettier than the second (I'm looking at you, Kansas).

Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM

50 posts, read 119,109 times
We stayed in McPherson, KS when we were moving to CO and liked it. Cute little town, good mexican food (can't remember the name of the place, but it was better than some big city chain mexican restaurants). The motel was the Wheat State motel, but there are regular chain motel/hotels there too. We wanted to park right next to our door since we had valuables in the car, which is why we chose a local independent motel. The bed wasn't great, but it met our security requirements.
We were driving from the south through Wichita, but it's not terribly far off of I-70.
We purposely avoided St. Louis because it was flooding at that time. I recommend checking road conditions for your entire route, but there haven't been any big Midwest floods this summer that I know of...

Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
We drove from the DC area via I-70; staying in Indianapolis on day one, Topeka on day two and arriving in COLO SPRS on day three.

It's about 1700 miles, we did @550 miles each of the first two days and 600 miles on day 3, as driving across Kansas is fast, easy and uncrowded. Salina, KS is good place to tank up, eat and hit starbucks.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:59 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
I guess it depends on the type of trip you want to take. If you want to get out here quickly, then Mike's three-day itinerary works great.

If you want to linger, and see some of the sights, then there are some options.

Take I-80 and see Canton/Pro Football HOF and Cleveland Rock and Roll HOF (stop for night). Stop in Chicago (great city) or head to Milwaukee. Head out to Spirit Lake/Okoboji, Iowa (nice lake resort area), then either make a long drive to Denver on last day or stay in small town Nebraska for a night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: