U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:56 PM

88 posts, read 284,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyloxs View Post
I'm 27 and I am an attorney (just got my bar exam results yesterday!!).
Congratulations!!
I'm also looking at relocating to Denver (from Texas). I can say that Arvada is a lovely town. Less new development, so less cookie-cutter.
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 AM

676 posts, read 2,539,711 times
I have done some work at the breakers in cherry creek and I can tell you that the company that just bought them is currently renovating them. (Exterior for sure but not sure about interiors) Its a massive apartment complex and has lots of amenities if you are looking for the "resort" style apartments. It even has a fairly large pond on the property as well.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,747,858 times
Quote:
I want to live in a suburb that still has character to it like in Cleveland. I just don't like areas where every house looks, or is, the same as the house next to it.
Stay in the central metro region, and you might find something appealing. The outer suburbs/exurbs (e.g., Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch) will be one giant, vanilla-looking disappointment. I grew up in Ohio, so I know about what you speak. You'll be hard-pressed to find anything like what you appreciate about Cleveland in the Denver 'burbs. A couple of exceptions...Littleton & parts of Centennial. I'm not familiar with the northern parts of metro region, but there are probably a couple of possibilities up there, too.

Onto other issues...you won't miss the bugs or the humidity, but you will miss the trees and seasons, particularly autumn. There is much to love about Colorado, but it will take some getting used to.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:19 AM

3,150 posts, read 7,230,897 times
Cleveland = The mistake by the lake

Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,234,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post

Onto other issues...you won't miss the bugs or the humidity, but you will miss the trees and seasons, particularly autumn. There is much to love about Colorado, but it will take some getting used to.
Yeah, I 've noticed there really isn't much to autumn here. Not very good color in the Denver area (hardly any red), which I suspect is due to the nutty weather. I have a maple tree that's supposed to turn red, and this fall, it was starting to turn in the third week of October, with just a couple light frost on it. Then BAM! 20 degrees and the leaves just shriveled.

I consider there to be only two season s in Denver - summer and winter. Fall and spring are just when summer and winter fight it out!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, I 've noticed there really isn't much to autumn here. Not very good color in the Denver area (hardly any red), which I suspect is due to the nutty weather. I have a maple tree that's supposed to turn red, and this fall, it was starting to turn in the third week of October, with just a couple light frost on it. Then BAM! 20 degrees and the leaves just shriveled.

I consider there to be only two season s in Denver - summer and winter. Fall and spring are just when summer and winter fight it out!
True the transition from season to season is very quick

Old 12-13-2007, 02:11 PM

271 posts, read 1,251,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
True the transition from season to season is very quick
I wouldn't say that, exactly. It's more like a tug of war between the Snow Miser and the Heat Miser that lasts about 1-2 months depending on various factors. Our fall and spring aren't quite like in other areas with less volatile climates. Temperature swings in Denver are too large and too quick for that.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 32,650 times
Default you can't have it both ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by esya View Post
I live in Denver and have since '94. I grew up in south central Ohio, moved with my folks to Colorado (various locations), and lived in illinois & Portland.

I still think denver is overrated. It's like a midwesterner's fantasy and it is NOT perfect--all job bases are very cyclical, there are a lot of new suburbs, and the burbs are sprawling compared to the city center. This causes california like traffic congestion, air pollution, and the mountains are being blocked by high rises. Also, due to the arrid climate and lack of vegetation, the traffic noise has gotten really bad.
So you don't like sprawling suburbs, air pollution, and traffic congestion? But you don't like the mountains being blocked by high rises? Well guess what: Denver is growing. People are moving to the city from California, Texas, and wherever else, and they need to live somewhere. So pick your poison: do you want sprawling suburbs or more vertical infill? To be against both is pointless. Unfortunately for you, the faucet of new Denverites cannot be turned off so easily.

(And really, "mountains are being blocked by high rises"? Is this occuring everywhere? Or just directly east of downtown? Surely you can find large swaths of the metro area that do not have high rises blocking mountain views.)

Old 12-13-2007, 07:03 PM

86,915 posts, read 102,377,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

We have learned to by trees that are bred to flower late in the spring (such as our Prairiefire crabapple), and lose their leaves early in the fall (such as Ash). If you have a tree like your maple, some years you will see beautiful leaves, and some years nothing. If it snows in September, the leaves all turn black and just fall off early.

My daughter says Denver has two seasons: almost summer and almost winter.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Or I heard the two seasons were winter and under construction lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or