Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:53 PM

11,815 posts, read 34,303,497 times

Advertisements

at the Word Beer Cup held in Denver

Colorado breweries steal the show at World Beer Cup awards - Denver Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:36 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,558,348 times
Bump.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:58 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,440,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I love a good Oatmeal Stout, that was my "gateway"..

I think the common progression is:

1) Wheat
2) Lager
3) Ale
4) Stout
5) IPA
6) Porter Stouts
7) ESB's
8) Doubles
9) Triples

Wow cool to see my own Beer Notes lol..

I have now discovered Saison and 120Min IPAs! I drink Funkwerks (Ft Collins) and Dogfish (Delaware Sorry CO but DE has you beat) almost exclusively.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:11 PM

130 posts, read 162,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I think it has a lot to do with Colorado liquor laws. It is much easier/cheaper to get an onsite tasting room license than a full brewery restaurant license. No capital invested in a full kitchen and have food trucks. I like the variety of food the rotating food trucks have at my corner brewery.
Yes, I read the following article last week, which cited the licensing issues as a big factor in the symbiotic relationship between tasting rooms and food trucks: "Colorado's licensing laws allow new breweries to open on-site tasting areas that operate much like bars, but without much local red tape. Unlike brew pubs and bars, taprooms may serve only their own brews, with no other alcohol, and they can't open kitchens. That dynamic has opened opportunities for a growing army of food trucks — a perfect symbiotic match between startup-heavy industries."

Colorado's booming beer taprooms experience some growing pains - The Denver Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
In order for minors to be allowed where alcohol is served, you have to show that the business isn't primarily for serving alcohol. Minors are not allowed in tasting rooms here in OR at all. I don't recall what the laws are in CO.
Wow... Seems like a law you'd find in the South, not in the PNW. As beer geeks with a toddler, looks like we chose well in picking Denver over Portland.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:15 PM

130 posts, read 162,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Wow cool to see my own Beer Notes lol..

I have now discovered Saison and 120Min IPAs! I drink Funkwerks (Ft Collins) and Dogfish (Delaware Sorry CO but DE has you beat) almost exclusively.
Mach50, what's with #3? All of the beers in your list are ales, except for #2. For #3, did you mean "Pale" Ales?

If you like DFH 120 Min., sounds like you're ready for some West Coast IPAs.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post

Wow... Seems like a law you'd find in the South, not in the PNW. As beer geeks with a toddler, looks like we chose well in picking Denver over Portland.
We have definitely stopped by a tasting room with toddler in tow.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM

346 posts, read 480,385 times
Another great find in Arvada. Odd location at Ralston and Sheridan. Have done a few tours and haven't found a bad pint among 'em!
Odyssey Beerwerks - Odyssey Beerwerks Craft Beer

Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,942,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
Yes, I read the following article last week, which cited the licensing issues as a big factor in the symbiotic relationship between tasting rooms and food trucks: "Colorado's licensing laws allow new breweries to open on-site tasting areas that operate much like bars, but without much local red tape. Unlike brew pubs and bars, taprooms may serve only their own brews, with no other alcohol, and they can't open kitchens. That dynamic has opened opportunities for a growing army of food trucks — a perfect symbiotic match between startup-heavy industries."

Colorado's booming beer taprooms experience some growing pains - The Denver Post

I was at Oskar Blue's taproom yesterday afternoon and there was a family of 4 there. The only food they have there are peanuts, but the kids happily drank OB's root beer while the parents had a few regular beers.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:04 PM

2,483 posts, read 4,355,384 times
When did 'good beer' = heavy, dark, bitter and 1000 calories per glass? Just what year was that? '95?

Give me an ice cold 'rona any day, or even a coors light, I don't care. People call these things watered down but reality is that the water content is similar either way, the 'crafted' beer ingredients just spend more time being roasted (aka burned) and fermented (aka rotted) which give them that heavy flavor and higher AC. If I want something strong & heavy I'll have a whiskey and not have to drink a gallon of carbonated hops to get an ounce of alcohol.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
When did 'good beer' = heavy, dark, bitter and 1000 calories per glass? Just what year was that? '95?

Give me an ice cold 'rona any day, or even a coors light, I don't care. People call these things watered down but reality is that the water content is similar either way, the 'crafted' beer ingredients just spend more time being roasted (aka burned) and fermented (aka rotted) which give them that heavy flavor and higher AC. If I want something strong & heavy I'll have a whiskey and not have to drink a gallon of carbonated hops to get an ounce of alcohol.
Ummm ok.
There are lots of craft lagers. Try a Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues. Great beer. Ska also makes a great one called Mexican Logger.

People with the above opinion typically feel that beer should taste exactly one way. Instead of appreciating each beer for how it is distinct, they immediately throw out an "I only like x" comment. It's akin to saying that all spaghetti sauce should taste like Ragu or all beef should taste like McDonalds hamburgers. It's their loss because there are some incredibly creative and delicious things happening in beer right now. You just have to go in with the mindset that it's not supposed to taste like Coors Light, and that's a good thing.

More people are catching on. Beer consumption in the US was down last year, but craft beer consumption was up. People are drinking less crap.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-29-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver