Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 09:08 AM

36 posts, read 52,932 times

Advertisements

I will preface this by saying I've owned a small biz before, made very very good money and sold it last year to move to FL for my ex fiance. Things did not work out unfortunately and my folks just recently moved to the Denver area. I've always wanted to like in colorado and will be making the move in November.

I have been involved in competitive powerlifting/bodybuilding for many years and am looking to finally do something I enjoy. I want to open a 'hardcore' old school gym. Where people ranging from old to young, serious to just trying to stay in shape feel comfortable. It would be geared towards competitive lifters/bodybuiders but I am one of the nicest guys you could meet and I'd welcome anyone and everyone that is serious about staying/or getting in shape. The comradery of the 70's and 80's gyms has all but dissappreared. This is what I'd love to re-create.

Maybe a pipe dream but I'd love to make it a reality. Do you think there is a market for this in the area? What kind of fitness/gym locations are currently open and running in the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins vicinity...? Thanks for any advice offered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 09:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
That is a question for Marketing Research. You can try your own hand by checking out the local gyms that are similar. Doing a count at certain times of night. . .find out items that correlate with this type of gym elsewhere, and see if the correlations are here but the gyms aren't.

It is definitely not the kind of gym I would belong to (I liked Cardinal Fitness in Indiana and currently do lifetimefitness)

It seems like a limited market compared to a family style gym.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:29 AM

36 posts, read 52,932 times
it is a limited market as such but I'm not looking to get rich. Looking to help people (training, nutrition, etc... help those so inclined better themselves) and do something I love. I know once I arrive in the area I will have to do my research, check out the demographics but this is a starting point. I am not familiar with Denver and just throwing this out there.

I would not want it at all to be like a Lifetime Fitness, planet fitness, etc... more often then not, those are social gathering places.

I want it to be different, set apart, and special. Those that truly love to lift, compete or workout seriously would understand. Now, that doesn't mean I don't want all walks of life. I will cater to everyone but it will be well a equipped no frills type of gym. Kind of a mom and pop type place... these type of gyms have all but dissappeared. Franchises have taken over. Creating relationships with people is lost in these facilities.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:58 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w8tlifterty View Post
Do you think there is a market for this in the area? What kind of fitness/gym locations are currently open and running in the Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins vicinity...? Thanks for any advice offered
The big places with their massive marketing and sales teams are packed. I've seen a couple small places whose store fronts make them appear to be competing head to head with the big places, but I've never seen one that is busy.

On the other hand, a lot of start-ups are using small warehouses in industrial parks as store fronts. It's usually martial arts and tour guides; their marketing is atrocious, yet they stay afloat. I don't know if they're dumping money into these places, but they seem to have longevity, which suggests that the overhead is manageable for a lone wolf.

The young guys that I have seen at the gym are scrawny and look desperate to build a little muscle; they're doing the standards: squats in the Smith machine, throwing weights, creepily staring at uncomfortable women, etc.

Based on all the above observations, I think you'd find success in an industrial park if you have the ability to sell face to face and over the phone.

Any of the three areas would probably be fine because of the colleges, but I'd recommend Denver because you wouldn't be as dependent on the colleges. You sound like someone who's conscious of quality of training, and I think you'll find that the college kids are a little more conscious of buzz than quality.

Good luck, and congratulations for dodging the bullet.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 09-08-2012 at 12:07 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM

346 posts, read 482,353 times
You'll have a tough time competing with this gym:
armbrustprogym.com - HOME
Its been there under different owners for decades, and is home to Mr. Olympia, Phil Heath. Lots of other big names there, too. Those fellas can move some earth. Plenty of regular folks like me there just trying to stay in shape. THE BEST trainers are there. Dylan will be opening a new Aurora location soon. This is the place to model your venture after.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:51 AM

352 posts, read 713,375 times
I've belonged to a gym since I was in my late teens, so I'm no stranger to lifting. That said, it's not like you'd be moving into a market crying out for what you hope to bring, it already exists here. It's so niche that it doesn't take many small gyms to be filled and it's already filled. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver