Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 PM

75 posts, read 149,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthemove28 View Post
I lived in Denver for a while, but no more. I liked it, I didn't love it.

Disclaimer: IMO people tend to exaggerate the cultural differences of major American cities in almost every thread on this forum that I have read. It's as if people are wishful that there was more nuance to their home cities cultural landscape than there is. How much money you have and how you choose to spend it will determine who you meet and the vibe you get- just like everywhere in the States. In general, more money= more smiley faces. People will be happier and friendlier in line at Whole Foods than at Safeway.

What is Denver like? If handicapped to one word, i'd choose corporate; again, just like nearly every other major city across the United States. I speak with no anger or resentment or class warfare angst. Iit's just how it is in major, developed American cities short a select few on the West Coast. It may be obvious but as the most overwhelming characteristic it's still worth noting.

If you have a middle class job and a normal middle class social circle the majority of the people you meet will likely not be CO natives. They will be from everywhere.

Really parcing and digging, I think it's more SOCAL than Midwest. It's slightly more relaxed ("no worries" seems to be the quintessential conversation-ending expression.) It's an educated city but not sort of striving and obnoxious (very little Bostonian-esque "I don't really understand this impressive word but I'm going to use it while in line at Starbucks anyway" posturing here). It's not aggressive like Chicago. It's not reserved to mediocrity like [we won't be too mean-spirited, but fill in your own Midwestern blanks here]. IMO there is a palpable vibe of positivism and a real lack of social cynicism that I found admirable and, forgive me, real. People seem more desperate for a sense of community in Denver than in most other cities.

A lot of people seem genuinely happy in Denver, more so than anywhere in the Midwest that I have seen.

I think Denver is far superior to any Midwestern city.
Wow. IMHO, this is pretty darn spot on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM

75 posts, read 149,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Pop / Soda (Mostly I hear "Soda" in Denver, but I know rural areas tend toward "Pop"), accents, and crazy people (recent events may put this to rest) don't really reflect local "culture" to me. Broader things, like our growing Theater / Improv scene, Colorado's love of Jam Bands and Electronic Music (go well with the MJ, it seems), Denver's efforts at improving public transit, events at the Botanical Gardens / Colfax / Downtown, the slowly evolving nature of our some of our suburbs in to truly distinct entities despite our sprawling geography (Glendale, Englewood, Lakewood), our interest in preserving our albeit young architecture and improving the new architecture, our desire to experiment (new urban communities like Stapleton, Bradburn and Lowry, as well as the "downtown" efforts of Lakewood and Englewood), our "live and let live" style of politics (where it's sometimes hard to pigeonhole a politician in to one neat left / right box), our neighborhoods (old and new), the eclectic, slowly evolving food culture (not *quite* there yet) and of course our love of parks / the outdoors / sports / physical activity / "natural beauty" seem to have more to do with Denver culture than many of the other things I see creeping up in this thread.

I could scarcely compare Denver to "Southern California", since San Diego and Orange County are somewhat distinct culturally, and LA culture even splits all over the map (Inland Empire is different from the Valley is different from "LA", or Santa Monica, or Pasadena / Eagle Rock / Glendale, etc...)

The Midwest could mean Kansas City or Minneapolis, which seem different politically, but have some things in common...

Frankly I think Denver is more like a Midwest city meets a "western" city (as was said earlier in the thread), only more successful and progressive than many Midwest city as far as "culture" goes...i.e., people actually do get out and *do* things here, and fairly frequently. Beards are not uncommon in even upscale workplaces. I don't know the numbers but I'd gather our Festival of Lights draws a crowd at least somewhat comparable to KC's Plaza Lighting (if not exceeding.) 4/20 on the Civic Center lawn. The underground music and art scene picking up steam in RiNo. For the most part a responsible (and responsive) gun culture that seems more open when it comes to talking about the role of firearms and violence than in many other places I've lived.

I find a lot of Midwestern cities to be fairly undefined compared to Denver (though many of them are currently improving.)I'm not saying Denver is as distinct as, say, New York or maybe San Francisco, but I think we're certainly well defined enough "culturally" to sit on a list with Portland, Seattle or Austin...while being unlike any of those cities. That said, to people that just arrive, we probably appear fairly plain and "suburban" until they settle in and start to engage and absorb all that the city and the state have to offer.
Another good one! FWIW, I'm a transplanted East Coaster who grew up saying soda. This is pop country. At least with older people. But that doesn't answer Midwest vs Cali, I don't think. CO is cooler than the Midwest and Cali

Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
I grew up in the South East and many people simply refer to all fizzy beverages as a "Coke". Then sometimes they will say Soda or a drink. When I first visited the Midwest as a kid we thought it was hilarious that people in Toledo, Ohio refereed to it as "PoP".

Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM

529 posts, read 1,547,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
What makes it look like Mexico to you, I wonder... I don't care about baseless attacks on LA. It's your opinion that based off of anything and everything other than actual fact mixed with extreme jealousy. I don't live in LA, I live here in Denver! I hope you're not calling Denver America's only 3rd world city.

Soda is caleld pop here. It is advertised and called such in Colorado's beloved King Soopers, natives call it pop, and the soda/pop map shows that Colorado is clearly in "pop" country.
The fact that you resort to calling people jealous when they bash L.A. just proves your arrogance!

Who would ever be jealous of L.A.? It's dirty and gang ridden with insane costs of living and gasoline among other things. It's polluted and congested and everyone acts like their bowel movements are art! The traffic makes people want to die, Disneyland is a trashy daycare center, and the BROWN CLOUD that hangs over the city gives me stomach aches!

But I guess it's sooo perfect because of fancy department stores (by the way clothes are clothes) and Trader Joe's, the FRIGID COLD Pacific Ocean, and that Hollywood thing. I guess that's what matters though and anyone who doesn't follow these guidelines is a hick in a stinky city with less intelligence who can't shop at "high-end" department stores.

PLEASE GO BACK TO L.A.!!!!

It's funny you claim you stay in Denver because of the money you make, but what are you using the money for? If you hate everything about Denver then what good is money?

It's not Denver that's bad, it's your attitude! Stop trying to blame others to cover up they fact that you're exhaustingly negative and ignorant, and deliberately choosing to be so. Not to mention over the top arrogant! L.A. is waiting for you!!!!

Last edited by JMM64; 10-19-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Colorado is just not like Southern California. End of story!
One of the best things about Denver and Colorado! THANK GOD!

Last edited by JMM64; 10-19-2013 at 08:01 PM..

Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
What makes it look like Mexico to you, I wonder... I don't care about baseless attacks on LA. It's your opinion that based off of anything and everything other than actual fact mixed with extreme jealousy. I don't live in LA, I live here in Denver! I hope you're not calling Denver America's only 3rd world city.

Soda is caleld pop here. It is advertised and called such in Colorado's beloved King Soopers, natives call it pop, and the soda/pop map shows that Colorado is clearly in "pop" country.
Uh oh, someone is tasting their own medicine and doesn't like it!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Is this a trick question?! Midwest! Many people in Denver appreciate a simple lifestyle. People tend to be extremely reserved, humorless, and homely. Southern Californians like to be active, fun, adventurous, and cutting edge. Denver does not have high-end shopping other than Hermes. The city couldn't even sustain a Saks; there is no Gucci, Bloomingdales, Prada, Bottega Venetta, Carolina Herrera, or even a Barneys.

This place looks and smells more like the Midwest, with large ranches to the east. The weather is more Midwestern than Southern California with cold winters. People call soda "pop" here, just like you'll find in Omaha or Moline. The roads are in the same shape that you'll fine Midwestern roads.. rough, pothole ridden, and generally horrific!

Phoenix is like Southern California. Denver is like a large Des Moines up within an occasional view of some mountains through the agricultural-induced haze.
One of the most senseless posts of yours I've seen! Keep them coming I need a good laugh!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I was just flying back the other day and this lady from So Cal said what do you think of CO? I told her I like it, people are generally nicer than So Cal. I said it's a mixed hybrid between CA and TX mixed in with some Mid West. Go to downtown Denver people are generally no friendlier than CA, go to the rural areas you would think you were on the set of Andy Griffith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver