U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 09:17 PM

431 posts, read 1,082,393 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Golden Triangle and occasionally walk/bike over to the Santa Fe Arts District (along Santa Fe between 6th and 10th). El Noa Noa and Domo are two restaurants I really enjoy in that area, and the First Friday art walks are fun. While Santa Fe is mostly revitalized the residential parts along Galapago, Elati, Fox, etc. seem a bit rundown, more so closer to the public housing near the 10th & Osage light rail station.

There appears to be some new houses and townhomes that have replaced older homes but not on the same scale as other urban Denver neighborhoods, especially those so close to downtown. Homes are also pretty affordable considering the location. Does anyone have an opinion on if this could be the next Baker or Lower Highland and just needs more investment? It seems with the Santa Fe Arts District, light rail access, downtown proximity and overall central location in Denver are big upsides, while the quality of existing housing, the public housing, and poor schools are downsides. I just see a lot of potential there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,666 times
I actually live on Santa Fe in the arts district. Its... Honestly if I had been here this time of year when I was looking for apartments in June I would have gone elsewhere. My apartment itself is pretty nice. I have parking and free heat, its well insulated and the street noise isn't that loud. But instead of walking to the King Soopers up the road on 14th, I drive to other grocery stores because theres so many shifty drunks and homeless people infront of the store and by the bus stop. Now that schools back in, theres always kids just wandering around. The schools don't make them stay on property. So I regularly see kids shouting at each other during the day.

Towards the 10th & Osage station theres construction that means you have to walk around to 11th and then back down to 10th to get to the station. Theres signs on the public housing there that say tenants can't commit crimes on the premises which just makes the place seem more shifty. Not really dangerous, just doesn't really seem like a nice place. Theres not really very many restaurants and such, just a few down around 7th and 6th.

Basically the only upsides to this location is the location. I walk to work, takes a few minutes to bike there. Same distance to the light rail. But the homeless and constant shifty looking people make me not enjoy where I live, so I'm moving when my lease is over. I mean theres a liquor store a few blocks away where people are actually waiting outside for it to open at like 9am. While they wait you can see other people who just went to the 7-11 and got beer walking away. Who buys beer or liquor, and nothing else, at 9 in the morning? I work nights and even I don't do that.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:33 AM

14,087 posts, read 20,475,398 times
The developer of my duplex in Berkeley ("it's the next West Highland") is planning to build a tri-plex in the Santa Fe Arts District neighborhood.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM

431 posts, read 1,082,393 times
Thanks for the perspective. It does very different than the Golden Triangle next door. It just seems like it will eventually revitalize if they can clean it up

Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Get ready to spend some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthXSW View Post
Santa Fe Arts District ...could be the next Baker
Baker has taken way longer than I though it would 15+ years ago.
I think it is "there" now, but in 1995, I thought it was sure to pop soon.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:24 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,323,929 times
I think that the proximity to the housing projects are the biggest factor in holding the area back as far as becoming the next Baker.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 21,369 times
I live at 13th and Lipan and have lived in the Lincoln Park neighborhood for almost 3 years. It has unbelievable potential. It is close to everything. 2 light rail stations are in walking distance, downtown is within walking distance, mile high stadium is within walking distance. You literally cannot live much closer to downtown and be able to live in a single family house. Also, Denver Housing Authority is displacing all of the tenants of the housing projects as we speak and they have already torn down at least 10 project buildings in the last 2 months. Ground has broken on the new developments over there which are going to be high rise condos and and commercial and retail space. This will and already has undoubtedly changed the neighborhood, but the neighborhood still has its problems. I like living there and as I mentioned I have lived there for 3 years, but I am getting sick of the homeless people. I swear you can't sit on your porch for more than 5 minutes without having some homeless guy come walking by with their big camping bags and dirty clothes. There are soo many homeless people that it kinda grinds on you after awhile. The King Soopers that is there is just as dirty and you get all kinds of druggies and whackos hanging around there as well. I have lived in Denver for 16 years total. I have called the cops more often in this neighborhood in the past 3 years than I ever have while living here. For some reason there are just crazy people that live around here. There are a lot of people that mean well for the neighborhood, but there are also a lot of people who are people that just "do not care". They trash the neighborhood (literally trash it). I walk my dog through Lincoln Park every morning and it is littered with trash. It just seems like Denver has forgotten about this area because there is no way Cheesman Park or Wash Park would ever allow what goes on in Lincoln Park. I really hope that the new developments change the neighborhood but for some reason it seems to be taking its time. I dont foresee a big change coming for awhile. There are just too many junkies and homeless people and at 12th and Mariposa there is a homeless people hangout where they can dry their clothes and what not. It attracts so many vagrants. It is unfortunate because it really is a perfect location. But I just dont think that the City of Denver really cares enough about it yet. I am very curious to see what happens once the new condo buildings are completed and ready for homeowners, but until then it is as shady of a place as it looks. I walk my dog in the morning because no one is out, but i drive my dog to wash park or cheesman park after work because I cant deal with the people who walk around the neighborhood. It is not a pleasant walk.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:18 PM

Default Paragraphs are a foreign concept to some

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizozozi View Post
I live...pleasant walk.
Readability is improved with paragraphs.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:48 PM

20,942 posts, read 39,293,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Readability is improved with paragraphs.
Agree; 3-4 lines should be a max, then a carriage return for readability's sake, aka "white space."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zizozozi View Post
I live at 13th and Lipan and have lived in the Lincoln Park neighborhood for almost 3 years. It has unbelievable potential. It is close to everything. 2 light rail stations are in walking distance, downtown is within walking distance, mile high stadium is within walking distance. You literally cannot live much closer to downtown and be able to live in a single family house. Also, Denver Housing Authority is displacing all of the tenants of the housing projects as we speak and they have already torn down at least 10 project buildings in the last 2 months. Ground has broken on the new developments over there which are going to be high rise condos and and commercial and retail space. This will and already has undoubtedly changed the neighborhood, but the neighborhood still has its problems. I like living there and as I mentioned I have lived there for 3 years, but I am getting sick of the homeless people. I swear you can't sit on your porch for more than 5 minutes without having some homeless guy come walking by with their big camping bags and dirty clothes. There are soo many homeless people that it kinda grinds on you after awhile. The King Soopers that is there is just as dirty and you get all kinds of druggies and whackos hanging around there as well. I have lived in Denver for 16 years total. I have called the cops more often in this neighborhood in the past 3 years than I ever have while living here. For some reason there are just crazy people that live around here. There are a lot of people that mean well for the neighborhood, but there are also a lot of people who are people that just "do not care". They trash the neighborhood (literally trash it). I walk my dog through Lincoln Park every morning and it is littered with trash. It just seems like Denver has forgotten about this area because there is no way Cheesman Park or Wash Park would ever allow what goes on in Lincoln Park. I really hope that the new developments change the neighborhood but for some reason it seems to be taking its time. I dont foresee a big change coming for awhile. There are just too many junkies and homeless people and at 12th and Mariposa there is a homeless people hangout where they can dry their clothes and what not. It attracts so many vagrants. It is unfortunate because it really is a perfect location. But I just dont think that the City of Denver really cares enough about it yet. I am very curious to see what happens once the new condo buildings are completed and ready for homeowners, but until then it is as shady of a place as it looks. I walk my dog in the morning because no one is out, but i drive my dog to wash park or cheesman park after work because I cant deal with the people who walk around the neighborhood. It is not a pleasant walk.
you should move if you want to complain about the neighborhood so much.. and by the way, those aren't condos they are building. they are mixed income housing. hope you find a new place in cheeseman or wash park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or