U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 8,424 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mother with a just now pre-school aged child. I'm from Europe (though I have dual citizenship), and plan on returning home in early 2014 once I wrap up school here and hopefully sort out legalities, but for the next year I need a safe, inexpensive place for my daughter and I to stay. Her father does not pay any child support and between school, work, and childcare- my funds are pretty limited. I could afford around $600 per month at a stretch if it was all-inclusive, but I would really prefer to stay lower than that. The stuff I've seen on Craigslist for under $600 tends to not have bath tubs (only showers), and no ovens/stoves (just hotplates) and if possible I'd like to be able to easily bathe and feed my daughter (though I understand if I have to compromise since my budget is SUPER low.)

Because my funds are limited, I'm totally okay with living in a studio (even a very small one) with my daughter, since it's only for a year or so. I work and attend school downtown, and I do not drive or own a car (just a bike)- so I need to be close to transit and in the city.

I have many friends who live in Five Points- but when I have mentioned living there as a single mother I get horrified reactions. I've lived in not-so-nice neighborhoods before in Chicago, but not as a single parent. I'm on the waiting lists for a few low-income flats, but obviously those could take a year to actually get into, and right now I am staying with someone temporarily (in their unfinished, though weather-proof basement)- but this is not a long-term solution.

Suggestions as to specific neighborhoods, buildings/management companies would be appreciated. I realise my budget is very low, and that's why I'm posting here- please be constructive and not judgmental- I'm just trying to do the right thing for my daughter.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ecolette; 10-09-2012 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:46 PM

7,051 posts, read 6,071,107 times
Default Consider another city

$600 is going to be very difficult in Denver. The vacancy rate is 4%. Rents are increasing at 10%/year.
Try Padmapper.com
(Addendum. I just looked at Padmapper and it is bleak. $600 is mostly room share. I even looked in UNsafe neighborhoods.)
Maybe: Glendale in one of the older apartment complexes. Maybe Quebec and Leetsdale/Parker Rd.

Have you checked the costs of childcare in greater Denver?

Last edited by davebarnes; 10-09-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM

2,196 posts, read 2,233,518 times
You're saying that $600 would be a stretch too. No offense but Denver is not a good place to be and searching for apartments for $600 or less, especially now with apartments in huge demand and rents rising like Dave mentioned.

I can't even think of any options at all at that price range, let alone being in a safe place to raise a kid. It seems like at the current market the starting is around $800-900+

Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM

48 posts, read 48,034 times
If $600 is a stretch, that you would even like to stay below, I don't think you can focus on an apartment/studio/flat in Denver. Best bet, if you really want/have to be in Denver, is maybe to look at renting out a room, or basement apartment; Denver University area might have some stuff available, bungalow houses with rooms in the basement. It is a safe area, close to light rail and bus system. But like I said it may just be your best and only bet, good luck.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM

4,931 posts, read 8,814,715 times
I would suggest strongly that you make contact with some of the faith based organizations in this area that can provide you some help in finding housing. I would contact Volunteers of America, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army and as many other non-profit social agencies that you can find. I would look into more than one local housing offices of counties and cities and see if there are other options than low income or than HUD section 8 for a single woman with a child. Also Section 8 is not all one type of housing but can be voucher based and also project based and you must be sure you look at both options.

Livecontent

Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM

293 posts, read 271,494 times
You're looking for a "cheap" apartment at the worst possible time for rates. $600 would get you a sketchy place in an unsafe neighborhood.

But the poster that mentioned faith-based organizations has a good idea. There surely must be help for single moms such as yourself.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM

659 posts, read 254,529 times
If I was a single mom with a low budget I would move somewhere in Texas. it seems cheap to live there and safe overall.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM

15 posts, read 11,898 times
Default Check your messages

Dear ecolette - I sent you a direct (private) message that may help. Please check your account.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 PM

6,242 posts, read 4,629,991 times
Rents are so high right now I am thinking of not selling my house or selling and paying cash for a smaller place. A nice 2 bed 2 bath in DTC is $1200-1400 with garage and refrig.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 PM

196 posts, read 109,953 times
I did a bit of putzing around on Trulia, and, no there's not a lot out there in your range.

I did see a few studios in Cap Hill that might be in your range, but I'm not sure how they'll be about having a young child, and while it's safe enough for an adult, I wouldn't raise a child there.

I did see some hits around Colfax and Colorado and one or two around Colfax and Wadsworth in Lakewood -- there might be a few things in your range. Neither area is great, but they'll be near a bus route that can get you downtown pretty much anytime and there's shopping close.

Good luck, and I hope that there's some assistance out there for you that'll get you into something better than what I suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver