U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:15 AM

31 posts, read 58,360 times

Advertisements

I have been following these forums for a long time. I have been planning on moving to CO for even longer. I have always had my eye on Castle Rock because of its proximity to Denver, which is where I would work most likely (in architecture). The homes seem like you get a lot of bang for your buck compared to the Northeast which is where we live now. The schools seem to get good reviews and it sounds like a great place to raise a family.

What I am asking is if it's too good to be true? Is it a suburban nightmare? Is it growing too fast for its own good? Are the developers creating cookie-cutter hell out there? What's the expectation for this area in the next decade? Are there areas close by that are a better bet for someone looking to buy their forever home and raise a family?

I would say that my max price for a home is $300k so that rather limits a few things but I would prefer a larger lot and not have my neighbor 10 feet from my side yard, but I understand that translates to dollars. I am just trying to find the "dream" place in this beautiful state. Thea stories of the commute into Denver scares the heck out of me, so I am not 100% committed to working in Denver, but I realize that that is where most of the opportunities in architecture exist.

All advice, good and bad is welcome. I appreciate your responses and honesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 AM

14,018 posts, read 20,330,583 times
The commute from Castle Rock to (downtown) Denver is not a pleasant one.
You need to visit in person.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM

1,898 posts, read 4,001,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpumasx View Post
Are the developers creating cookie-cutter hell out there?
In my opinion, yes.

+1 on the traffic point listed above. My co-workers who live out there leave before 6AM to get downtown.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 76,037 times
I'm just curious if you've looked into the job market for architects in the area. I graduated in '07 with an architecture degree and got about a year of work experience before the crash wiped out all of the young (and even a lot of experienced) architects. That's in Tucson, AZ however, which got hit even harder than most. We're also considering a move to Denver and I'd love to know if there's a chance of using the degree that I worked so hard for.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,799,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmama13 View Post
I'm just curious if you've looked into the job market for architects in the area. I graduated in '07 with an architecture degree and got about a year of work experience before the crash wiped out all of the young (and even a lot of experienced) architects. That's in Tucson, AZ however, which got hit even harder than most. We're also considering a move to Denver and I'd love to know if there's a chance of using the degree that I worked so hard for.
AZmama, is it still tough down there in Tucson? I thought it was improving? In any event, Denver is a cool city and a lot different than Tucson. Why Denver, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
AZmama, is it still tough down there in Tucson? I thought it was improving? In any event, Denver is a cool city and a lot different than Tucson. Why Denver, if you don't mind me asking?
I do think things are starting to improve, but very slowly. After only having 1 year experience, there are still people with a lot more experience that I'm competing with for jobs. Also to be honest, I haven't put my resume out there within the past few months. Luckily my husband has a great job so I've taken the time to stay home with our daughter.

I'm checking out Denver because there's a chance that my husband could have an opportunity for a promotion which would relocate us to the area. It's still all very preliminary, but I've been wondering if it would give me more opportunities for my career as well.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM

90 posts, read 338,845 times
Quote:
I have been following these forums for a long time. I have been planning on moving to CO for even longer. I have always had my eye on Castle Rock because of its proximity to Denver, which is where I would work most likely (in architecture). The homes seem like you get a lot of bang for your buck compared to the Northeast which is where we live now. The schools seem to get good reviews and it sounds like a great place to raise a family.

What I am asking is if it's too good to be true? Is it a suburban nightmare? Is it growing too fast for its own good? Are the developers creating cookie-cutter hell out there? What's the expectation for this area in the next decade? Are there areas close by that are a better bet for someone looking to buy their forever home and raise a family?

I would say that my max price for a home is $300k so that rather limits a few things but I would prefer a larger lot and not have my neighbor 10 feet from my side yard, but I understand that translates to dollars. I am just trying to find the "dream" place in this beautiful state. Thea stories of the commute into Denver scares the heck out of me, so I am not 100% committed to working in Denver, but I realize that that is where most of the opportunities in architecture exist.

All advice, good and bad is welcome. I appreciate your responses and honesty.
Castle Rock is a relaxing, laid-back, exurban (not suburban), Republican family town (with a mix of political persuasions as well). Nice people, pet-friendly, interesting landscaping/hiking and it has its own distinctive town history identity. If you like hanging downtown in Denver frequently, you should probably seek another town though. It's as much apart of Colorado Springs as it is Denver.

If you like a calm, relaxed, chill neighbors-atmosphere who involve you in their affairs leisurely, with plenty of NObama sentiment, and exciting town events (county fairs, Christmas festivals), this will be a great town. If you like downtown access, an opportunity to meet people who aren't white or ingratiated Latinos, with some more crime but also better restaurants and faster commutes to major working centers, it may not be your town.

All things considered, Castle Rock is very good for anyone, but not perfect.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 AM

31 posts, read 58,360 times
I visited Denver and Boulder 3 years ago and just loved the people, food, friendliness, landscape, just about everything. I have a connection here locally that can get me into a firm in Denver. What I do is far from the run of the mill architects and that means I am highly specialized and valuable to a firm and I have not had the same experience that other architects have had in regards to lay offs and securing a position. I am not worried about that aspect of the move. I am worried a little bit about the commute into Denver, especially on snowy days. My commute now is 12 minutes and I have lived in other areas where my commute was 45 and I know what that can do to you and it's not great.

I wonder if there are any areas closer to Denver that still have the general neighborhood feel as Castle Rock. We would like a newer home and a good balance of open space and shopping/restaurants without having to drive too far. We are highly considering home schooling so school districts may not be all that important.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:27 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,717,916 times
Castle Rock is going to be further to the 45 minute end of the commute spectrum - longer on snow days. You will likely have to fight traffic, and parking downtown can be a bit pricey and scarce during weekdays. On the other hand, it's going to take living that far out to find the kind of space you're looking for anywhere near that price range. Obviously we're not as expensive or dense as the east coast, but we're no Phoenix or Las Vegas, either.

Average house price here is somewhere in the ballpark of $250k, but having looked around, the stock is pretty scarce right now and I haven't been fond of what I'm finding. Willing to go up to $300k, you can still find some decent stuff in and around Denver with maybe a little space and a much shorter commute. Just depends on what your priorities are.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I visited Denver and Boulder 3 years ago and just loved the people, food, friendliness, landscape, just about everything. I have a connection here locally that can get me into a firm in Denver. What I do is far from the run of the mill architects and that means I am highly specialized and valuable to a firm and I have not had the same experience that other architects have had in regards to lay offs and securing a position. I am not worried about that aspect of the move.
I see, that's great! Well good for you and good luck with your planning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or