U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:03 PM

86,900 posts, read 102,364,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkman1 View Post
Are there water restrictions in the summer for watering the grass?
Some years.

Quote:
Also, can you live pretty much anywhere N,S,W,E of Denver and still see the views of the mountains?
Yes, within a commuting distance N, S, or E. If you go west, you are eventually in the mtns. You will definitely have a mtn view west of Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM

22 posts, read 168,047 times
Thanks for your reply, Pittnurse70. I think I can deal with a few shovelings. However, thinking about it, if each of the shoveling is 10 ft hight, then I might be in for some trouble, lol.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkman1 View Post
I hear on this forum that Denver is brown? Is this East Denver towards the plains? How about towards the mountains in West Denver? Is it greener there? Can grass grow all year, except in the winter in Denver?
Haven't you heard, the grass is ALWAYS greener on the OTHER side.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:28 PM

86,900 posts, read 102,364,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
Thanks for your reply, Pittnurse70. I think I can deal with a few shovelings. However, thinking about it, if each of the shoveling is 10 ft hight, then I might be in for some trouble, lol.
LOL! The vast majority of snowfalls are 6-8" or less.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:03 PM

97 posts, read 375,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
The decision is yours, but as has been already mentioned, you're going way overboard on this weather issue.

As far as weather goes, Denver has consistently been known to have some of the best weather in the country. Yes, some people prefer southern California's never changing climate. But if you like 4 seasons, you'd be hard pressed to find better weather than Denver.

Denver, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It averages 5 feet of snow a year, and over 250 days of sunshine.

Seattle, on the other hand, has long been known to have some of the best weather anywhere for 3 months, and some of the crappiest anywhere the other 9 months. Not because of mass amounts of rainfall, but overall cloudyness, mist, and gloom. It is cloudy in Seattle over 225 days a year.

Again, your personal weather preference plays a role, of course, but I think you'd be hard pressed to win the argument that Denver has worse weather than Seattle.

And, on top of all that, imo you'd be nuts to move to Seattle given your situation with the kids/grandkids, unless you were decently confident they would move closer. Seattle to Florida is a ridiculous flight and a horrible drive. Or if you really don't like your kids that much.

Another question is, is it down to Seattle or Denver? Does it have to be a big city? My feel is that it needs to be out west. No southeast cause your tired of the heat/humidity. no northeast or midwest because of the bitter cold. But I wouldn't discount Arizona, Oregon, Utah, etc. also. Just saying since you're concerned about the snow in Denver and rain/mist in Seattle.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:22 PM

15 posts, read 141,016 times
I live in Seattle and grew up here. We are now considering a job offer in Denver.

Here is the thing about Seattle. It is beautiful, really. But, while people will say that it rains so much more in many other parts of the country, it is completely different. Usually the other places will get afternoon downpours etc. Well Seattle basically drizzles and rains consistently from about early/mid October until May...depending on the year. Even this summer we have had a ton of rain. It is nice sometimes, relaxing etc. But day in day out gets depressing. They skies are grey most of the year. Again, nice every once in awhile, everyday not so much. The grass is always muddy and unfortunately they haven't even made a ton of indoor recreation so you either just deal with being wet and soggy most of the year or stay indoors a lot. BTW people in the NW don't use umbrellas!! You can tell a tourist when you see one cause they have an umbrella with them.
Another thing to consider about Seattle weather is that we do get a very small amount of snow most years and it completely shuts the city down. They close school, they close stores, jobs etc. because the city (and surrounding area) is not really equipped to deal with it. The good part about that is most likely you will get some snow days each year and hopefully if you don't have to go out thats great but if you do have to go out its tough cause the roads will be icy and they are very hilly and curvy.
I'm not trying to put the NW down, just telling it like it is. I can't really compare it to Denver because I have not yet lived there. But the pac NW is gorgeous, you have mountains, water, greenery etc, cultural opportunities, dining galore etc (but expensive)..

Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZ750 View Post
The decision is yours, but as has been already mentioned, you're going way overboard on this weather issue.

As far as weather goes, Denver has consistently been known to have some of the best weather in the country. Yes, some people prefer southern California's never changing climate. But if you like 4 seasons, you'd be hard pressed to find better weather than Denver.

Denver, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It averages 5 feet of snow a year, and over 250 days of sunshine.

Seattle, on the other hand, has long been known to have some of the best weather anywhere for 3 months, and some of the crappiest anywhere the other 9 months. Not because of mass amounts of rainfall, but overall cloudyness, mist, and gloom. It is cloudy in Seattle over 225 days a year.

Again, your personal weather preference plays a role, of course, but I think you'd be hard pressed to win the argument that Denver has worse weather than Seattle.

And, on top of all that, imo you'd be nuts to move to Seattle given your situation with the kids/grandkids, unless you were decently confident they would move closer. Seattle to Florida is a ridiculous flight and a horrible drive. Or if you really don't like your kids that much.

Another question is, is it down to Seattle or Denver? Does it have to be a big city? My feel is that it needs to be out west. No southeast cause your tired of the heat/humidity. no northeast or midwest because of the bitter cold. But I wouldn't discount Arizona, Oregon, Utah, etc. also. Just saying since you're concerned about the snow in Denver and rain/mist in Seattle.
Thanks for the input Jayz750.
I put certain criteria as to where I wanted to move to:
1.) has to be where my wife can transfer
2.) close to major sports, venues for concerts, etc.
3.) close to water parks, zoos, amusements, etc.
4.) highly rated hospital, college
5.) weather- not too hot or cold
6.) mass transit setup to ease auto & gas
7.) bike friendly, walking paths, etc.

It seems like a lot to ask for, but ruled out many cities such as Phoenix, Boston, Cinncinati, Atlanta, and San Francisco for various reasons. But if it weren't for my determined mind to live close to pro sports and places where major music occurs, I could live a quiet, peaceful life deep into nowhereland. Also, there are many highly desirable places that would get less rain, less snow. So, I picked Seattle first, then Denver, then San Francisco, and on the east coast Atlanta and Boston.

As for my kids, I love them dearly and want them to move too. It's tough for everyone to all agree on the same thing. Living along the Gulf Coast has been great for them- warm sunny days, laying on the beach & getting a golden tan. Why give that up? They live with a different perspective. They could care less about being in the stands watching baseball or football, or breathing better air. And they have made good friends, so why pick up and go? It's on my mind all the time. But they say that if I move to Denver, they will come by and drop off their kids while they go skiing! LOL. Always the babysitter. Take care.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Your concern is very valid! We have been in Colorado (Englewood & Parker) for 5 1/2 years and have seen our share of both the ice and snow. We have sold our house and will be on our way to NC. Believe us, you will experience ice and snow on the roads living in the Denver metro area in the winter. That is just part of living in that State/area.
I thought about moving to NC. I have travelled through the state several times, and who knows, should Denver & Seattle fall through, I just might reconsider NC or even Tenn., which like Florida has no state income tax. But I have to go to where my wife could transfer, so I have limited places to consider.

I take it that you have tired of the snow & ice in Colorado. It might be a bit too much snow for me to deal with. I don't know where you will be moving to in NC, the state has the mountains and the coast. But you will have to adjust to things there. Seems like the coastal area always gets hit with hurricanes. And the heavy rain can flood inland areas. I also think that the summer air will be very humid. You will need to adjust. I am thinking that even though you will give up the ton of Colorado snow, there will still be some to deal with. Problem will be that other people may not drive as cautiously as you in that weather, so be careful.

A second thing is that the south is STILL the south. Many people are still bitter that they lost the war. There is still bigotry,racism, and strong religious & political tension. Also, the south is anti-union. If you differ on these kind of things, it could get heated in discussions, as people can get arrigant.

My brother almost moved to Boone NC, close to Mount Airy, (home of Mayberry), into the mountains to the west. Beautiful area, country living. Country music rules in the south, and old time fiddle music is still alive in the hills up there. Loved the peace and quiet there, but as much as I love Mayberry, (Mount Airy), I need to be closer to the big city amenities.

Wish you well.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
One thing is for sure, Seattle gets the rain! But, then again, one thing is for sure, Denver metro can get the snow in the winter. Just sold our house in Parker, CO (28 mi. south/southeast of Denver) and moving to NC to get away from their "so called" mild winters that Denver metro can get. And, in Denver metro, unless you have school age kids or relatives living there, people aren't "that" friendly. Denver metro isn't a "small town" environment by no means......people don't walk out of Wal Mart and say "good morning" to you as you walk in (only the people working for Wal Mart will say that to you). It seemed to us like a lot of people, even in Parker, moved to the area from L.A.
where people are totally afraid to say "Hi" or "good morning".
This is just our opinion. We lived in So Calif for a number of years, so we know the way people acted there. And, Denver metro is going the same way....people NOT real friendly at all.
Good Luck!!
it's sad to see Americans be so afraid. I was raised in a very small town, never locked our doors, neighbors not only walked past our porch, but stopped and sat and chat. I grew to move to a bigger town of only 5,000 to 10,000 (I think in the whole county), and there was a huge difference. There is this one story I found ironic: I would see the same people shopping every week. We would pass each other down the isles. This one woman would never even glance, nor speak. Well, one day we took our kids on a trip to the big city, Baltimore, to see the zoo. This woman who had such fear of me turned to me and asked me to watch her child for a minute while she used the restroom. This same woman who thought I was a stranger, now trusts me over another stranger. Go figure.

I moved to Pensacola Florida, and even though people are friendly, people live in their private space. They all have garages, which allows them to come & go without really meeting people. Their lives seem isolated. I rarily see my neighbors, only when I am cutting the grass and the garage door opens. They politely wave to a total stranger and pull away. Where are those nice people who have the time to stop and relax on the porch, share a drink and a story or a laugh. I think we are all getting SO busy anymore.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyGlitter View Post
I live in Seattle and grew up here. We are now considering a job offer in Denver.

Here is the thing about Seattle. It is beautiful, really. But, while people will say that it rains so much more in many other parts of the country, it is completely different. Usually the other places will get afternoon downpours etc. Well Seattle basically drizzles and rains consistently from about early/mid October until May...depending on the year. Even this summer we have had a ton of rain. It is nice sometimes, relaxing etc. But day in day out gets depressing. They skies are grey most of the year. Again, nice every once in awhile, everyday not so much. The grass is always muddy and unfortunately they haven't even made a ton of indoor recreation so you either just deal with being wet and soggy most of the year or stay indoors a lot. BTW people in the NW don't use umbrellas!! You can tell a tourist when you see one cause they have an umbrella with them.
Another thing to consider about Seattle weather is that we do get a very small amount of snow most years and it completely shuts the city down. They close school, they close stores, jobs etc. because the city (and surrounding area) is not really equipped to deal with it. The good part about that is most likely you will get some snow days each year and hopefully if you don't have to go out thats great but if you do have to go out its tough cause the roads will be icy and they are very hilly and curvy.
I'm not trying to put the NW down, just telling it like it is. I can't really compare it to Denver because I have not yet lived there. But the pac NW is gorgeous, you have mountains, water, greenery etc, cultural opportunities, dining galore etc (but expensive)..
Thanks KittyGlitter for your post.
You have made a great point about things shutting down when the weather turns bad. I have read elsewhere that when things turn good, such as a rare perfect day that people don't show up for work. Seems like Seattle has all the beauty, but with issues that I must deal with. From most replies, the ever-present gloom is the main draback. So I am strongly thinking of another area instead. The Puget Sound and the Cascades are so special that many people will stand in the rain, deal with the gloom, just to be part of living in one of America's most beautiful areas. I wish I could too, but I am starting to doult it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or