U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:40 AM

86,873 posts, read 102,258,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I just do not buy that any one area has a monopoly on advantages.
I agree. I would say that wages are competitive here in some occupations, esp. engineering/IT b/c the employers know that applicants can go to one of many places to find a job. The problem is when people are deliberately underemployed just to stay somewhere. That is an issue in some communitites in Colorado, particularly the mountains and some of the college towns. People will wait tables, paint houses, clean motel rooms, etc just to live in their dream location. I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with doing those jobs, but when one has gone to college to get an education and learn a job, it seems like a waste of potential, particularly if one doesn't really like their job.

The PNW is a very gloomy area by all accouts. Many people talk of getting SAD after a few years there. (Referring to the quote)

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 10-20-2007 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 03:14 PM

11 posts, read 49,148 times
Default I know what you mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
IThe problem is when people are deliberately underemployed just to stay somewhere. That is an issue in some communitites in Colorado, particularly the mountains and some of the college towns. People will wait tables, paint houses, clean motel rooms, etc just to live in their dream location.

Been there, done that. A few places, most notably here in Maine, I feel have to succumbed to. That is a reason why I am planning to leave. Too much poor affluence slumming life after all these years of being alive . We live comfortably here, but I am seeing writing on the wall. The cost of living and sparsity of job opportunities here are not worth being underemployed for. Beautiful place and rather serene and peaceful, but no, not user-friendly to someone who wants to preserve a faction of their earnings for long-term investment in being part of Maine's growth.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 11,727 times
We're looking at moving from Tacoma, WA to Colorado Springs or Denver. We enjoy the outdoor like and have a 10 year old child. So we want to be in an area that is great and safe for kids. Which would you recomend, Colorado Springs or Denver? Thank you!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

4 posts, read 8,061 times
Undecided3, Colorado Springs and Denver are really different. They're both close to the mountains, but it ends there. Denver is much more cosmopolitan with far more cultural opportunities. Colorado Springs is also the most conservative city in the State, arguably the country. Focus on the Family (a rabidly conservative public interest group), many mega churches and the Air Force Academy are located there. I lived in Boulder for 6 years which is the polar opposite. Maybe someone who's lived in or currently lives in Colorado Springs could say how they feel about it. It's not to say one or the other is better for you, they're just very different.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,559,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided3 View Post
We're looking at moving from Tacoma, WA to Colorado Springs or Denver. We enjoy the outdoor like and have a 10 year old child. So we want to be in an area that is great and safe for kids. Which would you recomend, Colorado Springs or Denver? Thank you!
Both areas offer lots of cultural activites. Colorado Springs has a lot more of a dramatic view of the mountains. Both areas have plenty of areas safe for kids. The time I spent in CS, I never noticed the Focus on Family influence. It's kind of overhyped. Denver is going to be more comparabbe to the Seattle metro but if you want a little bit of a slower pace, CS would be good. It's got most of what you need and Denver is close.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 11,727 times
Thanks for the input. It really is helpful. We're looking more at Colorado Springs as it's close enough to Denver so we can get some city time in here and there

Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,200,005 times
From WA to CO, I would say you could have a rougher time in the Springs. It is also a VERY big military town (to go along with all the other conservatism). "Progressive" is a dirty word in the springs. There are some great outdoor facilities in the springs, but oddly it doesn't seem to have as many people doing outdoorsy things as the rest of the state. The Springs is VERY sprawled out, as well. I just was not really able to find any walkable or bikeable neighborhoods in the springs. It's very car-dependent, and very strip mall-y.
Given the choice between the two I would definitely pick Denver, after living in the springs a a few years. And given the choice of the rest of the state, I would pick Fort Collins, hands down!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:40 AM

137 posts, read 327,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
Thanks KittyGlitter for your post.
You have made a great point about things shutting down when the weather turns bad. I have read elsewhere that when things turn good, such as a rare perfect day that people don't show up for work. Seems like Seattle has all the beauty, but with issues that I must deal with. From most replies, the ever-present gloom is the main draback. So I am strongly thinking of another area instead. The Puget Sound and the Cascades are so special that many people will stand in the rain, deal with the gloom, just to be part of living in one of America's most beautiful areas. I wish I could too, but I am starting to doult it.

We moved here (seattle) 3 yrs. ago. We are desperately trying to leave... I am from AZ and my husband TX. I always thought I loved it when it rained soooooo.. I will be ok in seattle. UGH! This is not the kind of rain I like. It is not the downpour with thunder and lightning storm kinda rain. It is a constant drizzle like others have said. It gets totally OLD! I just wish there was some excitement when it rains... Only storm here is when it gets snow or ice and the wind blows in from the water..tree limbs crack but that's about it. I like the dark clouds to roll in - a dramatic event. AND YES .... it gets VERY depressing 0day after day gloom. The cost of living is out of this world high. Can't seem to bite the housing bullet even after this long with very good paying jobs. Major dissatisfying factor of the PCNW. It is beautiful here- no doubt. It is just not enough to keep us here. We are either moving to CO or TX. Still deciding. Like another said...there is no Shangrila, every place has something to deal with. Pick your poison...that's the way I look at it. Another reason is that it is too far from our kids and family. Can never get in the car and go visit... have to spend thousands to fly every time...OLD!! It is a very hard decision to make and I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by texan4me; 08-22-2010 at 01:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 12:32 AM

13 posts, read 30,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan4me View Post
I always thought I loved it when it rained soooooo.. I will be ok in seattle. UGH! This is not the kind of rain I like. It is not the downpour with thunder and lightning storm kinda rain. It is a constant drizzle like others have said. It gets totally OLD! I just wish there was some excitement when it rains... Only storm here is when it gets snow or ice and the wind blows in from the water..tree limbs crack but that's about it. I like the dark clouds to roll in - a dramatic event. AND YES .... it gets VERY depressing 0day after day gloom. The cost of living is out of this world high. Can't seem to bite the housing bullet even after this long with very good paying jobs. Major dissatisfying factor of the PCNW. It is beautiful here- no doubt. It is just not enough to keep us here.
that's exactly how I felt. Grey and overcast and misty makes you SERIOUSLY appreciate warm, sunny weather. I realize there are some people who hate the heat and would be annoyed by constant sunshine - like my sister who loves cooler temps, but she doesn't do things outside. Dumb things like - I like to take the dog hiking. I don't like to hike on soggy wet muddy trails, let alone with the light drizzle.... but you'll be waiting DAYS for the sun to come out, dry things up enough to hit the trails.
Colorado has been the perfect weather for me - seasons, lots of sunshine - so that even if it's bitterly cold in the winter and I'm trudging through a foot of snow... the sun is shining. I def prefer the culture here, too - I've told others recently there's a great benefit to living where people are smart AND nice.... way too many places I've lived, they're either, or. Denver has smart, thoughtful, kind people, from my experiences. Dogs or kids will help you meet people.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:44 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,839,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
My other choice is Seattle, where it also is a beautiful area, with less conservatism, but my wife strongly thinks the long gloom & wetness would be worst than the long months of cold & snow. I have heard that Colorado has other issues such as bad summer storms with hail & tornados, and the land tends to be "mushy".

I am tired of Florida's thick humid air, plus the bugs- fireants, millipedes, centipedes, American cockroaches, brown Recluse & Black Widow spiders, pine-tree scorpians, spittle bugs, and termites. There's GOT to be a better place than Pensacola! Maybe someone has some input.
It sounds like Denver is exactly what you need. The dry sunny climate is what you are looking for. And if it turns out it doesn't meet your needs, you will be half way to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or