Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,617,892 times

Advertisements

Ugh I miss Denver-I miss smart and nice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,715 times
I've lived in Colorado Springs for the majority of my life, and spent a few years in the Aurora/Denver area. Here is my rundown:

Colorado Springs is a beautiful city. I mean, Pike's Peak, which soars over the city inspired America the Beautiful. They are breathtaking and every now and then I remind myself how appreciative I am of them. Just to give a glimpse of my perspective, I moved there when I was 7 and moved out to Denver when I turned 18. I lived in Northern Colorado Springs. The farther north you go, the safe the homes and the more comforting the neighborhoods are. It's the part of town you can really see yourself settling down in. It is a conservative city, but if you crave something liberal-esk, Manitou Springs and other great parts of town are just a short drive away (practically part of the city). The saying in Colorado is "If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes." That said, yes it snows in the winter, and it's sunny in the summer, but here and there you get a mix. This year for example was incredibly mild for all conditions compared to the deep snow and icey roads last year. This snow-shoveling idea going around isn't something I've ever picked up on. haha. If for some reason it is a deep-snowy winter, it'll melt soon.

When I moved to Aurora (Pursuing the Colorado Film School), it was definitely a different world. Colorado Springs is mountains, delicious water, and beauty. Denver is Metro city, concerts, and liberal. Both places definitely have their pluses, it really depends on what you need the most. I loved Denver because being young, I felt like there was nothing to do in Colorado Springs. Denver always had places to go to have fun. However, I found myself missing the starry nights and the great scenery to galavant. UCCS in Colorado Springs is a fantastic school. Manitou, Garden of the Gods, Cheyenne Mnt... it's all beautiful. Not to mention it's a cheaper place to live than Denver. (I use Denver/Aurora interchangeably because I lived on the edge and was therefore always in both cities.)

Personally, I've been considering Seattle a lot myself. I'm intrigued by the liberal feel of it while still having the mountains/ocean close by. It sounds like the perfect mix of Colorado Springs and Denver together. Job scouting is awful in the Springs unless you're joining the military. haha (5 bases in the city). I would miss the snow if I moved. Yeah, icey roads can suck, but it's not always like that, truly. It's just nice to wake up and see snow on the trees, so long as you don't mind getting the ice off your car's windshield. And the summers are great as well. Sometimes a little too hot, but if you've ever lived anywhere south of Colorado (I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years), you'll find yourself happy it isn't worse.

Denver:
-Expansive bus/lightrail system
-DIA
-Liberal
-Opportunities
-Diverse
-Don't get stuck in Aurora. haha. Meh.

CO. Springs:
-Beautiful
-Mountains
-Conservative
-Lots of Military and Churches
-Clean Air and Fresh Water. (1st hand water. Doesn't get recycled or anything before it gets to you)
-City is moving out east, farther from the mountains. Some parts of the city seem to be loosing business.

For me, I'm biased. My ideal place has a liberal and active feel (Denver), but close to mountains and scenery (Colorado Springs).

If you are looking for a more comfort feel, Colorado Springs is your place. The Air Force Academy is nice, and religion is a strong part of the city, which could be either perfect for you or a deterrent based on your own lifestyle. If you want the big city feel, Denver it is. There is always something to do.

Me being young I think of it as "I'll life in Denver while I'm young and live it up, and then Colorado Springs when I want to settle down one day and start building a stable life and family.

...Of course, like I said, I want to move to Seattle, so we'll see where that goes. haha

Last edited by ModernDayBuddha; 09-18-2010 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM

322 posts, read 778,802 times
I'm in my 50s, too. Oh and don't forget that the further you get from the equator, the more sleep disorders. If you tend to fall asleep too early and waken too early, that will probably get worse in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
Seattle's mild summers & winters beats Denver's hot summers & harsh winters. But I hear it is very DAMP in Seattle, vs. a drier winter in Denver. I guess the best way I can decide is to think- wet & depressed, umbrella & latte vs. aching back from shoveling snow half the year with hot cocoa and sunglasses.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:23 AM

88 posts, read 227,804 times
Default Seattle vs Denver (exclude climate)

Seattle: expensive; more competititon (in IT sector); no easy hiking opportunities

Denver :
Slightly less expensive ; better job opportunities than in Seattle, lots of outdoor opportunities

Please feel free to add.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 AM

1,226 posts, read 1,279,772 times
Denver: Generally less traffic; more extensive light rail system.

Denver: Didn't allow their NBA team to move to Oklahoma City, for the love of God.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 26,271 times
Default Water

Seattle: Has water - Alki, Ballard locks, Madison, Kirkland, Pike Place waterfront ... and, 4 hours away is the beach.

Not sure about Denver (yet).

Old 07-22-2011, 08:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda200 View Post
Seattle: no easy hiking opportunities[u][b]
Not too sure about where you get that assessment? There are easy hikes if you want to find them. There are less hikes that aren't covered in trees, so if you wanted lots of expanse then CO is the way to go.

Seattle is definitely more of a maritime town as has already been mentioned. WAY better seafood.

Seattle is a bit more liberal and progressive (both politically and city planning wise).

WAY better music scene in Seattle.

More sports team options in Denver (if that matters to you).

Seattle has a major university in the city (UW).

And of course the Altitudes are totally different. Almost zero evelvation versus 5k.

I really don't think you can exclude weather though, as the climates are SO different.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:17 PM

426 posts, read 1,735,812 times
Was going to post this thread but was then notified it already existed, so I'm bumping this instead.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Was going to post this thread but was then notified it already existed, so I'm bumping this instead.
Usually I don't bother responding to old threads. The only reason I scrolled down was because I thought it was funny that the OP was considering the only two major cities that would legalize MJ in 2014. It seems to me it is a long enough time for a new thread. In any event, if you are going to get any responses you need to explain your situation.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:01 PM

52 posts, read 81,521 times
I've lived in Seattle for many years, and now live in Denver. Between the two I prefer Denver: less traffic, cheaper housing. Both have a lively food scene and an outdoors-y populace going for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver