U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 AM

98 posts, read 236,338 times
Default Dog Breed Restrictions

I'm moving to the South East area (Englewood/Centennial) from Nevada. I am already aware of the breed restrictions in Denver County, Aurora and some other communities. What I'm curious about is what type of breed restrictions apartments impose that are outside of these areas? What breeds are normally restricted? Does this include mixes? Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM

26,362 posts, read 54,170,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryville View Post
I'm moving to the South East area (Englewood/Centennial) from Nevada. I am already aware of the breed restrictions in Denver County, Aurora and some other communities. What I'm curious about is what type of breed restrictions apartments impose that are outside of these areas? What breeds are normally restricted? Does this include mixes? Thank you in advance for your help!
Dog Law :: Dangerous Dogs > Breed-Specific Restrictions :: DogLaw.HugPug.com

Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 PM

348 posts, read 1,613,151 times
In my apt search in the Denver area, I've found that most apts do not accept large dogs & certain breeds such as Pitbulls, Rottweilers, German Sheppards, Dobermans, Boxers, etc..personally, I think it's somewhat silly---the Pittbulls I have met are sweet dogs--my friend's dog even sat in my lap with me-I never felt threatened by her. But that is a whole other topic for a different board I would call the apts you may be interested in to get their guidelines on breed restrictions. I'm sure every complex is different.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:52 AM

2,755 posts, read 8,491,255 times
My experience is that single family houses with back-yards are much more understanding of tenants with dogs than apartments. Individual owners area also more likely to take into account individual circumstances than corporate owners.

Part of it also is how tight the rental market is. If the rental market becomes very tight again, landlords will start excluding pets simply because they can do so, or at least, will charge very high deposits and rent premiums for allowing them.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 46,208 times
Default Dog Breed Restrictions

Hello All,

I am hoping to get some local perspective on the Denver pit bull ban. I'm looking at a couple of job offers in Denver, and have always loved the city and region in general. A really beautiful place and I've always felt really comfortable with the culture and almost "at home" everytime i've been to the city. So, I come to this post with nothing but respect for your city.

I'm a big animal lover with two well-trained and lovable big dogs (a boxer and a bull mastif) and the wording of the law, which to paraphrase says, no pitbulls or dogs like pitbulls are allowed makes me wonder what the situation is really like there.

Question 1: what is the story with this law, and is it enforced? Is the city really capturing and killing pit bulls?

Question 2: Is there any culture of animal (dog) lovers in the city? Are people afraid of dogs in general???

Again, any perspective on this is appreciated, especially any perspective on the dog culture in general...

Old 08-26-2008, 02:31 PM

11 posts, read 61,331 times
Denver is VERY dog-friendly. You'll think they're issuing labradors to new arrivals...........

Not sure about the Pit Bull law, so I'll let other's comment on it. As far as mastiffs and Boxers go, I've seen both breeds at the "doggy day care" center by my subdivision....

Cheers

John

Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM

8,585 posts, read 18,727,491 times
I think the first time they catch you they issue a citation to get the pit bull out of the city limits, the second time they catch the dog - it's a gonner.

Look at breed specific legislation. From a site I googled: COLORADO
Aurora; (under litigation) Broomfield, Castle Rock, Commerce City, Cripple Creek, Denver, Estes Park, Federal Heights, Fort Lupton, Golden, Lafayette, La Junta, Lakewood, Longmont, Lone Tree, Louisville, Loveland, Northglenn, Parker, Rocky Ford, Wellington, Westminster...I do not know how accurate or updated it is.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 AM

118 posts, read 249,756 times
I sat a friend's American Bull dog during 4th of July fireworks near Mile High once. Beat cop asked me if it was a pit-mix, I said "No, it's a purebred American Bulldog." He gave it a pet and moved on.

It's probably going to depend on the cop.

Overall, though, I think Denver is a dog lover's dream.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 20,521 times
Default Breed ban concern :(

My boyfriend and I are moving to Denver next month from Michigan with our two dogs. I've heard about the whole breed ban thing, sadly, and I'm concerned for one of our dogs. We got her from the pound as a puppy about a year ago, and her paperwork says she's a lab mix, however myself and many others believe she's part Pit Bull, even strangers ask if she's a pit puppy. The dog is reddish brown with white markings and looks like a lab/pit bull mix, except small about the size of a beagle, only 35lbs and extremely friendly. My main question is do I have to worry about getting a ticket or having my dog taken away if paperwork for the dog clearly says shes a Labrador mix, or do they enforce this awful law merely on appearance?

Also does any one have any suggestions for an area with cheap apartments or rentals that are in a walkable area or close to the bus line or light rail. We are two college students who share a car and its hard to get around with conflicting schedules sometimes. Close to restaurants would be good too since we both plan on serving/bartending again when we move. Sorry this is soo long, and thanks.

Last edited by KDtroit2586; 06-11-2009 at 06:01 AM..

Old 06-11-2009, 06:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 29,621,338 times
K
Concerning the breed ban,try a search of the forum.
This has been discussed here, sometimes a bit heatedly.
It's hard to say what would happen if you moved to Denver with your dog.
The law exists, and so does enforcement. At 35 pounds and friendly, she does not sound like a menace to society, but who knows.
This link might give you a bit of background.
In terms of neighborhoods, I would suggest Capitol Hill, but others might offer better and more detailed ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver