Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 4,750 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are taking a week long trip (minus the kids) to Colorado next month. We'll be spending most of that time snowboarding/skiing in Breckenridge, but were planning to spend the last weekend (2 nights) in Denver to enjoy some big city amenities. More specifically, we are looking forward to doing nothing but hopping around to different restaurants and bars for a couple days We live in a small town in Idaho, and with two young children we don't have many chances to do stuff like that.

We've never been to Denver, but are trying to do a little research on where the best place in the City to stay for a couple of days of eating and drinking. From what I've seen, it seems like the Lodo area has a lot of the kinds of establishments we are looking for, and the hotel that seems to be in the center of it all is the Oxford. Another area that seems to have a lot of restaurants and bars is Uptown, and there is a hotel called the Brown Palace that seems really cool. We've comfortable splurging for a couple of nights since we rarely take trips.

So for now we are choosing between these two hotels, but from what I've seen on the internet and google maps it seems like Lodo is the type of neighborhood we are looking for. Does that seem right? Are there other fun areas with lots of bars and restaurants that you can walk between, that would be better to stay in? Any other hotels that people would recommend? FYI, I am in my early 30s and my wife is in her late 20s.

Thanks in advance for your help. We can't wait for this trip!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM

229 posts, read 423,468 times
Yes, the Oxford is a great choice! Very historic and the speak easy in the lobby (Cruise Room) is one of my favorites. However, the area known as Lodo while fun can be overwhelming if you don't like the uber-crowded 21-25 year old scene. Lots of testosterone and what not but if you don't mind and prefer that scene then you will love Lodo. The pubs/tap houses in lodo are fun though and so are the restaurants(Vestas, 9th Door, Ocean Prime) which have pretty cool bar areas but the lounges, martini bars and clubs are just too crowded and loud in my opinion, not to mention that you'll wait 45 mins just to make it to the bar for one round of drinks.

However, if you start walking around and find Lodo is too much for you, I recommend walking over to the Highlands area and hitting up the places there which is much more around your age demographic. Places like Vita, Lola, Forest Room 5, Linger, Williams and Graham all in the Highlands and just across the highway a little northwest of downtown. Might have to take a cab as it can be a bit of a walk on cold nights. Take a cab to Vita and you will be right next to everything.

Or you can also hit up the Uptown area east of downtown on 17th street. Places like the vicinity of the thin man and Tavern Uptown are good areas too that don't suffer from the crowdedness of downtown.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
Yes, the Oxford is a great choice! Very historic and the speak easy in the lobby (Cruise Room) is one of my favorites. However, the area known as Lodo while fun can be overwhelming if you don't like the uber-crowded 21-25 year old scene. Lots of testosterone and what not but if you don't mind and prefer that scene then you will love Lodo. The pubs/tap houses in lodo are fun though and so are the restaurants(Vestas, 9th Door, Ocean Prime) which have pretty cool bar areas but the lounges, martini bars and clubs are just too crowded and loud in my opinion, not to mention that you'll wait 45 mins just to make it to the bar for one round of drinks.

However, if you start walking around and find Lodo is too much for you, I recommend walking over to the Highlands area and hitting up the places there which is much more around your age demographic. Places like Vita, Lola, Forest Room 5, Linger, Williams and Graham all in the Highlands and just across the highway a little northwest of downtown. Might have to take a cab as it can be a bit of a walk on cold nights. Take a cab to Vita and you will be right next to everything.

Or you can also hit up the Uptown area east of downtown on 17th street. Places like the vicinity of the thin man and Tavern Uptown are good areas too that don't suffer from the crowdedness of downtown.
Thanks, that is helpful! We are more into dive bars, funky places, and places with good beer and cocktails, not really into the loud clubs or lounges geared more toward the frat/sorority crowd. It seems like Lodo is pretty big - are there sections of it that have more of what we're looking for? Also, whats the vibe like in Uptown? The highlands sound cool. I've also seen a lot on the internet about the South of Colfax nightlife district and the Capitol Hill neighborhood? Are these places checking out? Thanks!

Also, can we take the light rail between these neighborhoods?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Oxford - my first choice as I done exactly what you are planning to do
Brown - second

forget the train
taxis or walk

check out restaurants on Yelp

Old 11-09-2012, 11:45 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,473 times
You said Denver, but you might consider the St. Julien in downtown Boulder. Walkable (5-10 min walk from hotel) to a ton of great bars and restaurants (Salt, The Kitchen, Oak at Fouteenth, , Brasserie Ten Ten, The Med...there's plenty more) and a great hotel.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
or Boulder Hotel, Hotels in Boulder Colorado, Historic Colorado Hotels - Hotel Boulderado in Boulder
very pleasant, I enjoyed my visit

Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy324 View Post
Thanks, that is helpful! We are more into dive bars, funky places, and places with good beer and cocktails, not really into the loud clubs or lounges geared more toward the frat/sorority crowd. It seems like Lodo is pretty big - are there sections of it that have more of what we're looking for? Also, whats the vibe like in Uptown? The highlands sound cool. I've also seen a lot on the internet about the South of Colfax nightlife district and the Capitol Hill neighborhood? Are these places checking out? Thanks!

Also, can we take the light rail between these neighborhoods?
Ah that helps. Funky places are definitely the highlands but I guess it depends on your definition of funky. The vibe there is a bit hipster/professional but definitely unique. If you are into dive bars, then yes capitol hill has that in spades as does much along Colfax. However Cap hill is very spread out and there isn't really one area with a bunch of bars and what not, plus the area can be a little semi-dodgy as it gets later. Most of lodo is going to be crowded clubs and lounges that aren't really that dive-y or funky and cater to the newly 21 crowd and frat/sorority scene. If you want an area that is better for what you're looking for I would advise you stay off of Market and Larimer Streets and either go along Wynkoop, Wazee, Blake, or stick along the Southern part of the 16th St mall toward Glenarm, Welton, etc. as there are cool places there. If you stay at the Oxford you'll love the Cruise Room and the Hotel is definitely worth staying at as it is definitely funky and unique.

Another area for the dive-y more funky is S. Broadway between say 2nd Street South to Alameda. Lots of those places there from little Irish Pubs, a Czech bar, Hipster, Funky-Divey, Rockabilly, you name it. Cab it there and then just walk, you'll find many places in that 5-6 block stretch that fit what you're looking for.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:12 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Having actually stayed at the Oxford, I endorse it as a great choice for LODO, an area which will provide the OP many lasting fond memories.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co_guy_94 View Post
Ah that helps. Funky places are definitely the highlands but I guess it depends on your definition of funky. The vibe there is a bit hipster/professional but definitely unique. If you are into dive bars, then yes capitol hill has that in spades as does much along Colfax. However Cap hill is very spread out and there isn't really one area with a bunch of bars and what not, plus the area can be a little semi-dodgy as it gets later. Most of lodo is going to be crowded clubs and lounges that aren't really that dive-y or funky and cater to the newly 21 crowd and frat/sorority scene. If you want an area that is better for what you're looking for I would advise you stay off of Market and Larimer Streets and either go along Wynkoop, Wazee, Blake, or stick along the Southern part of the 16th St mall toward Glenarm, Welton, etc. as there are cool places there. If you stay at the Oxford you'll love the Cruise Room and the Hotel is definitely worth staying at as it is definitely funky and unique.

Another area for the dive-y more funky is S. Broadway between say 2nd Street South to Alameda. Lots of those places there from little Irish Pubs, a Czech bar, Hipster, Funky-Divey, Rockabilly, you name it. Cab it there and then just walk, you'll find many places in that 5-6 block stretch that fit what you're looking for.
Great, this is exactly the kind of advice we were looking for. Seems like the Oxford is a good choice for a central hotel. Even though Market and Larimer may not be what we're looking for, sounds there are a bunch of cool areas nearby and others within a short cab ride. Is Uptown worth the trek as well?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

With just having a weekend, I'd skip uptown and just do parts of Lodo, highlands, and S. Broadway. If you have time, sure hit Uptown, but it's not nearly as concentrated as the other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver