Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Denver a Beautiful City?
Yes, though it's not the MOST beautiful. 47 57.32%
No, it's flat out fugly. 8 9.76%
It's so-so. 19 23.17%
If there's a job there for me, it's freaking beautiful. 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:34 AM

792 posts, read 2,861,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Completely unrepresentative? Those are pictures of Denver with the mountain backdrop..I'd say that is exactly what people think of about Denver.
The Rockies, seen from Denver, are usually not imposing in the way they look here, which is a high point in the city. Also, there's some photo sleight of hand going on to make the mountains look especially large. It's Mt. Ranier that looks that big in real life. This shot also makes Denver seem way greener than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM

59 posts, read 118,797 times
It is what it is an elevated desert. Has a lot of pro's to it weather wise. Without mountains, would be a regular old western town! It is very dry and brown except for late June-August when those perfect pic's of greenery were probably taken? All in all not a bad place.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,941,426 times
Lived there for a year back in the 80s. Downtown has come a long way with a lot of development in the 90s.
First there are a couple of myths to break- 1. to an east coaster the weather is awesome. I mean, its usually sunny and dry, so even if it gets cold, it doesn't feel as bad as our damp winter weather weather in the east. Occassionally there are snow storms, but not that often. It jsut so happens that whenever there is a nationally broadcast football game from Denver it is always snowing! 2. The mountains aren't that big of a visual thing in Denver. What you mostly see are the foothills, which are brown. The whitecaps can be seen from certain vantage points , but they are far away.
Pros-Downtown is quite vibrant. The weather is great. The lifestyle is very active and outdoorsy.
Cons- Outside of downtown, this is a freeway oriented city.You have to have a car. Also there is a building code that requires the housing to use earthtones, so things look a bit drab. The buildings downtown are just OK as architecture.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,892,762 times
I would say it's in the top 1/3 of large American cities in terms of beauty.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,204,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Lived there for a year back in the 80s. Downtown has come a long way with a lot of development in the 90s.
First there are a couple of myths to break- 1. to an east coaster the weather is awesome. I mean, its usually sunny and dry, so even if it gets cold, it doesn't feel as bad as our damp winter weather weather in the east. Occassionally there are snow storms, but not that often. It jsut so happens that whenever there is a nationally broadcast football game from Denver it is always snowing! 2. The mountains aren't that big of a visual thing in Denver. What you mostly see are the foothills, which are brown. The whitecaps can be seen from certain vantage points , but they are far away.
Pros-Downtown is quite vibrant. The weather is great. The lifestyle is very active and outdoorsy.
Cons- Outside of downtown, this is a freeway oriented city.You have to have a car. Also there is a building code that requires the housing to use earthtones, so things look a bit drab. The buildings downtown are just OK as architecture.
Wait. What?

I've seen many non-earth tone colored houses around town. Where in the building code is this?

Also, I have to disagree about the car comment. We have a car, and we use it when we need it, but both my wife and I are heavy users of public transit...busses and trains, and we're three miles from the closest light rail stop. You certainly *can* function in this city without a car...but that's a whole other thread, from some time ago

Anyway, I don't think of Denver as a freeway oriented city. Phoenix lives and dies by it's freeways, as does Los Angeles, but here they don't seem quite as important.

But hey...other than the earth tones thing, we've all got our opinions

Old 11-21-2012, 09:08 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,270,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Transplant View Post
Denver is ugly as hell. Brown, brown, brown everywhere! It's not the type of brown that is enjoyable, such as in a desert. It is the type of brown that just gives off a feeling of lifelessness, decay, and quite frankly, death. The "city" is green only for a short time each year (May-October),
Since when is 50% of the time a "short time?"

Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,395,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Eh, I dunno. I take view into consideration when picking a city, and while San Francisco has good views, I don't know if they're the best.
In SF, there is a view of the bay from almost every street corner.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:28 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,270,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
In SF, there is a view of the bay from almost every street corner.
Oh yeah, SF Bay is gorgeous. Especially the orange/green/gray sewer part down by the airport.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,979,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Oh yeah, SF Bay is gorgeous. Especially the orange/green/gray sewer part down by the airport.
You mean the salt evaporation ponds? Salt is hardly sewage. Anyways most of those parts of the bay are under restoration, if they haven't already been restored to their natural state. So that is a none issue.

Saving the Bay - Restoring San Francisco Bay: Wetlands - YouTube

Pond A6 Breach December 6, 2010 - YouTube

South Bay Salt Pond Restoration Project - Pond A8 - YouTube

Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM

31 posts, read 64,097 times
I grew up in the Boston area. I consider Denver to be about equal in size but quite different. Denver seems smaller and less "touristy". It's much cleaner than Boston. Climate is much better/sunnier. It seems less historic. The parks seem nice and clean. I dunno, I've lived in Boston for 34 years and in Denver for almost 2 and it seems like Denver is more "dull" just in the respect that it doesn't have that "big city" feel that the cities on the east coast have. I picture if Denver was on the ocean, it's beaches wouldbe in better condition than Boston. Denver is much more bike-friendly and takes better care of its parks it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver