U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,735,512 times

Advertisements

I wonder why you want a MS? If you want to work for the govt., that is what you should do as the govt., not contracting firms, will pay more for a MS engineer over a BS engineer.

The private sector does not value MS in engineering at all and you should just go to work. A BS engineer with a PE stamp and industry experience is much more valuable and marketable than someone with a MS, no experience and no PE stamp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM

14,056 posts, read 20,398,966 times
Default Some are better than others

So, I have:
BS Engineering (generic as I refused to specialize)
MS Engineering
MBA

My advice is:
Spend your energy (not a lot of money) getting the MBA.
1. It will be trivial for you as someone with an engineering education.
2. The ROI is higher.

I was lucky. My employer paid for 100% of my MBA. It took me about 2.5 years going nights and summers.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:09 PM

122 posts, read 175,124 times
A PE license is absolutely recommended if you're a mechanical engineer. If you wish to apply for jobs out here in Colorado, I suggest you use the address of the family you have in Boulder on your resume, because companies in this area routinely receive job offers from across the nation, but there is still some preference for hiring locally (as it is anywhere) due to the logistics being less of a hassle.

Also, have you considered applying to Colorado School of Mines? Very competitive school, but your credentials seem up to par. By going there you would also develop networking connections in and be exposed to a curriculum that focuses on two industries that are doing extremely well right now (mining and energy) and will be at the forefront of an economic recovery.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:39 PM

95 posts, read 160,180 times
Exactly. I have a P.E. and experience from an east coast city. I didn't go to a school as prestigious as anything out here in Colorado, but it would take 10 years for a native Coloradan to gain the experience I gained out east in 5 years. Everything is much slower out here and most people here in Denver are from VERY tiny farming towns. Just realize this before you move here:

Texas is where Fortune 1000 companies locate, Colorado is not even in the radar in the business world overall speaking. Colorado is just a pretty state with good weather, but it's about the size of Alabama population wise and economy wise. There are a lot of bright people in Colorado, for sure, but the real world doesn't reward bright people, it rewards marketable people only.

Last edited by filmsequal; 12-14-2012 at 10:47 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM

14,056 posts, read 20,398,966 times
Default That is just wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
Colorado...about the size of Alabama population wise and economy wise.
Colorado has a few more people 5.1 to 4.8M. Wikipedia.
But, per capita GDP is 50% higher. Wikipedia.
50% is pretty significant.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM

50 posts, read 101,850 times
I also let my employer pay for my Master's degree while I worked to gain experience. My master's was in Engineering Management - somewhere between an engineering degree and an MBA (my electives were all fluid/thermal science classes, but my core classes were management/MBA-type classes).

I'd agree with concentrating on skills vs. industries. For instance, don't paint yourself into a niche by specializing in something that won't transfer well into other industries. When I knew I would be leaving NASA, I asked to be transferred into Facilities Design and became a piping design engineer. Knowing ASME code was a marketable skill. I agree with the prior poster who said knowing an FEA software package or a design package would help immensely if jumping to another industry. Project Management is transferable too, but it's not exactly Engineering. And PM is what a lot of engineers end up doing once they get some experience. If you want to do hard engineering, do engineering and don't settle for engineering-lite.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:32 AM

95 posts, read 160,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
But, per capita GDP is 50% higher. Wikipedia.
50% is pretty significant.
I call BS on that. I would need to see the statistic in detail to agree. There are a lot of equity locusts in Colorado, aka people who don't have to work for a living. Lots of wealthy people move here for the scenery. But in the overall business world, Denver is a joke. Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston are all 2x bigger and offer much more to business than Denver. Denver reminds me of Atlanta circa 1980, with 3-4 lane major interstates in horrible shape, 2+ hour cab wait for anyone in the suburbs, mediocre shopping and entertainment options, trailer parks within 15 minutes from Downtown, a 2 lane "perimeter" highway, etc. etc. etc....

Old 12-22-2012, 04:13 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,478,111 times
Colorado and Alabama are not even close to being the same economy wise. If you are looking at Fortune 1000 companies between the 2 states, the comparison still stands. The jobs and income are not comparable between Alabama and Colorado.

Alabama- 1 Fortune 1000 company, $7.4 B revenues

Colorado - 9 Fortune 1000 companies, $94.3 B revenues

Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
I'm not an engineer, but have a lot of people in my family working in engineering, e.g. DH, our son-in-law, and our other daughter's boyfriend. All of them have advanced technical degrees; the two younger guys in engineering. DH thinks if an engineer wants to go into management, s/he should get an MBA.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 AM

924 posts, read 991,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
I call BS on that. I would need to see the statistic in detail to agree. There are a lot of equity locusts in Colorado, aka people who don't have to work for a living. Lots of wealthy people move here for the scenery. But in the overall business world, Denver is a joke. Dallas, Atlanta, and Houston are all 2x bigger and offer much more to business than Denver. Denver reminds me of Atlanta circa 1980, with 3-4 lane major interstates in horrible shape, 2+ hour cab wait for anyone in the suburbs, mediocre shopping and entertainment options, trailer parks within 15 minutes from Downtown, a 2 lane "perimeter" highway, etc. etc. etc....
So, you're comparing a top 25 MSA with three of the top 10 MSA's in the country? And they have a larger economy with more businesses?

Wow....... that's so insightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or