U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Moving to Denver: holistic health, college, rock climbing school, down payment on a house, affordable.

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2007, 09:32 PM
DAS
 
2,532 posts, read 5,987,290 times
Reputation: 1088

Advertisements

Livecontent I agree with your post. I gave my opinion because you had given yours and another poster that formely lived in Albany gave theirs. So I wanted to give the NYC side of it. The Long Islanders have the same opinion for the most part as "the city" people of the upstaters. We tend to use this expression "the city" when ever we are talking about NYC in particular to distinguish it from the surrounding metro area of NYC. Also used when talking about Manhattan in particular and not one of the other boros for those that may not know.

This not to say that we never get along with upstaters we can and we do once we all get around the sterotypes on both sides.

The thing about the front and back yards was a sarcastic remark that upstate kids would say to a person from NYC just to say it, yell it out to them kind of, it was not said in a conversation.

Yes I agree with the magical part. I look at Denver the city and it looks magical to me. I look at the Rockie mountains and its majestic beauty and it seems so magical. I would hate to visit and for someone to think that I am from NY so I may think they are a hick and not hold a conversation based on that.

Now I don't think that people should hide their origins. But I know that NYer's tend to compare things to NY. From the NYer's point of view that is just their reference point, but to others it may seem that they take it as a put down. Then the NYer never understands what the problem is, they don't understand what went wrong in the conversation.

The residential sections of NY are just a series of neighborhoods for the most part. They are like little small towns. So in that since NYers are just like anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2007, 10:46 AM
 
Location: New York
2,731 posts, read 2,828,676 times
Reputation: 830
I';ll chime in since this is partially about me.

1) I felt like I had to speak up and tell the truth. Living in NY is not magical land and so maybe some feel like I'll be disappointed living elsewhere.

I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of other places, like having to get in a car to buy milk for instance, in most places, for a small example.

But I don't think people are fully cognescent that living in NYC is a daily hassle. They don't call it the daily grind for no reason at all.

People may come here for vacation and really like it. And it is magical from that stand point.

But living here, that's another story. It is really fatiguing to have to constantly fight for things that people take for granted elsewhere, the exhausting just getting to and fro one place to another.

When I hear about people being really picky about their housing for instance in terms of age of the dwelling, the room configuration, and a lot of the superficial things, like type of molding etc. that smacks to me as something only people who are very rich can do. (Because here, that is the truth.) Living here is always a case of trade offs. I just happen to think the price has become to large.

I just want the American dream: A house, a white fence, a car in the garage, and a dog named Rover.

From the middle class point of view, that is fantasy land in NYC unless you are lucky or got into the market early, pre-bubble.

And I don't happen to think that life is at all comparable between NYC and Albany. I think a better comparison may be Albany and Charleston, SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32951
I have been staying out of this lately to let some others express their opinons, especially since I seem to have ticked off our OP, who was asking for help. I will reiterate, I do not want to discourage anyone from coming here. I agree with livecontent, that my advice was given in friendship.

I get very concerned when people say they want to live here for 'a slower pace of life'. The pace of life is not noticeably slower here than anywhere else. Denver is a city. It is city life, with all the pros and cons. It is a nice city, a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM
 
Location: New York
2,731 posts, read 2,828,676 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post

I get very concerned when people say they want to live here for 'a slower pace of life'. The pace of life is not noticeably slower here than anywhere else. Denver is a city. It is city life, with all the pros and cons. It is a nice city, a great place to live.

With all due respect, the pace of life is slower EVERYWHERE compared to NYC so it's all relative. (I think it is reported to be one of the most stressful, most hurried, most frenzied place to live in the whole country.) I think that's what the "NY Minute" is all about.

Last edited by roseba; 10-22-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: Edited to add cliche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
 
5,090 posts, read 13,513,200 times
Reputation: 6928
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I';ll chime in since this is partially about me.

1) I felt like I had to speak up and tell the truth. Living in NY is not magical land and so maybe some feel like I'll be disappointed living elsewhere.

I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of other places, like having to get in a car to buy milk for instance, in most places, for a small example.

But I don't think people are fully cognescent that living in NYC is a daily hassle. They don't call it the daily grind for no reason at all.

People may come here for vacation and really like it. And it is magical from that stand point.

But living here, that's another story. It is really fatiguing to have to constantly fight for things that people take for granted elsewhere, the exhausting just getting to and fro one place to another.

When I hear about people being really picky about their housing for instance in terms of age of the dwelling, the room configuration, and a lot of the superficial things, like type of molding etc. that smacks to me as something only people who are very rich can do. (Because here, that is the truth.) Living here is always a case of trade offs. I just happen to think the price has become to large.

I just want the American dream: A house, a white fence, a car in the garage, and a dog named Rover.

From the middle class point of view, that is fantasy land in NYC unless you are lucky or got into the market early, pre-bubble.

And I don't happen to think that life is at all comparable between NYC and Albany. I think a better comparison may be Albany and Charleston, SC.

You are going on and on about nothing--we only gave you nice advice--we got the message--you are unhappy, want to move--so that is the issue. You sound like you are stuck in a melodramatic opera. Why quibble with this and that--you said what you want---why keeping attack nice people.

I think you are exhibiting a negative side of a New Yorker.--nobody arguing with you-you are taking offense over nothing, Rose--ya know whata mean??? I am starting to laugh, this is like a conversation with my New York Sicilian American kin. I can even see your hands moving this way and that

However, I can see you from your comments; I now know that you will add fire and intensity to this area--please, please come here. I am very intrigued by a women who studied opera, went to Italy to learn the language of her ancestors.

We have a new opera house in Denver, a very large performing arts center, a small opera company in Central City--you will love Colorado and Colorado will love you.

And when you get here, I will find you--you will be the loudest person in the crowd--so do not be surprised, if a man comes running and gives you a big hug.

Enough said--be nice.

Yours,

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 01:57 PM
 
Location: New York
2,731 posts, read 2,828,676 times
Reputation: 830
You are right that I will be the loudest person in the crowd! (I'm not sure that is a good thing.) Though, I'm not Italian. I just like the language, the food and the history.

I didn't think I was attacking anyone. I thought I was defending my position as being something well considered. Relocating away from family and a few friends (many have already left) is not something we do lightly.

I look forward to the other things that Denver has to offer. The arts angle is a requirement as I will want to guss myself up once in a blue moon.

But the biggest gaping feature out of my mouth (other than the tremendously cheap housing by comparison) is that there is a golf course everywhere. (Not that I play it.) But it's so wonderful to see parks and outdoor space everywhere.

We just took my kid to Bear Mountain yesterday and she wants to go back. (But it's a good 90 minute drive and we don't have a car.) There isn't much outdoorsie stuff much closer than 90 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32951
Denver is a very outdoor-oriented city, yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
 
Location: New York
2,731 posts, read 2,828,676 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Denver is a very outdoor-oriented city, yes.
Well I'm hoping that it will increase my physical activity and I'll actually learn how to ride my bike. (Long story but my children's bike had pedal brakes, so I never learned how to use hand brakes and I have almost front-ended myself more than a few times. I'm too scared to ride a bike in traffic now. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,889 posts, read 102,301,239 times
Reputation: 32951
LOL! Get a new one when you get out here and practice in a parking lot! There are lots of bike trails here. Oh, and get a trailer, not a bike seat, for your daughter. They are fun. I used one when my kids were little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2007, 02:26 PM
 
Location: New York
2,731 posts, read 2,828,676 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
LOL! Get a new one when you get out here and practice in a parking lot! There are lots of bike trails here. Oh, and get a trailer, not a bike seat, for your daughter. They are fun. I used one when my kids were little.

I stopped riding it and it probably got more wear and tear moving it around from room to room than actual riding.

DH is in charge of DD. He's done a lot of dirt bike and road biking. She'll be on her own bicycle soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:30 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top