Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

20 posts, read 43,135 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays!

Our family will be relocating to Denver in/around June 2013 from S. Florida. I've spent some time doing some research on the Denver forum figuring out the typical rental process in CO.

I've been doing some rental research on craigslist and some other rental websites. I spoke to a "management" company in regards to one home rental in the Parker area. From my conversation with the management company rep and a RE agent I was referred to, RE agents don't typically manage rental agreements? In S. Florida, it is to the best interest of the Landlord & Tenant if a RE agent draws up a rental agreement and manages the process. Specifically due to the high foreclosure market, transient tenants, and dishonest landlords.

With that said, I was hoping I could get some input on the rental process in CO and/or advice on how to avoid fraud in regards to foreclosures, lost deposits, etc. Obviously, we will be visiting a few times prior to our move. In the meantime, wanted to spend time researching properties that are on the up & up. I realize going with a management company, you're paying a little more. Is it worth it or should we focus on individual landlords and take our chances they are not in foreclosure? My concern is we have 3 children under the age of 10 and I want to be sure we are safe and not thrown out on the street at a moments notice. Additionally, we want to protect our deposit money and ultimately create a great relationship with the landlord.

Many thanks to any who reply!!

Tammie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 PM

26,204 posts, read 48,994,276 times
Tammie, read and heed the warnings on craigslist about scammers, it it sounds too good to be true.... also beware the old nonsense about "we're missionaries in Africa, send us a deposit and we'll send you...." Those are scammers at work.

Padmapper.com can find some rentals, else keep googling.

Hopefully some of our realtors on here will offer some advice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:09 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,655,013 times
When we rented out our house, we went through a professional property management company. They did all of the credit checks, had a lease that had been reviewed and approved by their attorneys, etc. Yes, it cost us a little bit extra every month, but I had peace of mind that I wasn't going to end up with a tenant ripping me off.

I would think it would be to your benefit as a renter to use a property management company to handle the negotiations between you and the landlord. That way you know that your rights as a tenant are being protected.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM

380 posts, read 1,227,981 times
Craigslist is so full of scams right now it is useless for finding a rental.Which is a shame because it is how I have found all my rentals in the past.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 AM

20 posts, read 43,135 times
Thank you all for the comments. I haven't had much luck with the property management companies thus far. No return calls, some were quite short with me, etc. I'm hoping it was due to the holidays... We will keep searching.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,410,747 times
They can't hep you until they have notice of a vacancy in May this year.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 PM

19 posts, read 29,313 times
Hi Tammie - We are a family of five also relocating to Denver in June and I stumbled upon your thread today and was wondering how your search is going? I agree with your comments above about the property management companies, we have had the same experience. I know the market is tight in certain areas but you would still think they would be more helpful (I also feel as if their rental processes are a bit onerous and I am stopping short of signing away my first born simply to rent a home). It has been surprising because everyone else in Denver has been very nice and helpful. Let me know if you found any other resources besides Craigslist, possibly there is a "locals only" known rental listing source? Best of luck to you in your move!

Old 03-21-2013, 03:02 PM

26,204 posts, read 48,994,276 times
Craigslist will have the bulk of rentals, but padmapper.com will have those and a few more.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM

19 posts, read 29,313 times
I have tried Padmapper and found it to be a lot of apartments and we are looking for a single family home...but I will definitely check it again. Do you know if people use the classified section of the Denver Post much? or any other publication?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:42 PM

37 posts, read 95,676 times
Hi Tammie
We are in the same boat and are not moving out until June however my husband is out there now. We did find a rental on hotpads. We also where looking in Parker but it is such a tight market and if you are not there as one of the first ones you will not get the rental. We decided on south Aurora since we get more for our money and it has the best school district. I have the name and number of the property manager we used as well as a GREAT lady I spoke to that owns her own property management company in Parker. She told me that they will put more out in the first week of April for those to be rented in June. She was so helpful even though I told her about finding another house. Message me and I will pass along her name if you would like or my property manager. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver