Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM

19 posts, read 36,192 times

Advertisements

Moving back to the area in the next few months. Lived in Westminster (2003-2007) when job was downtown and didn't mind the commute - 36 to I-25. Have commutes gotten worse in the past 6 years?

Am now stuck with myself working in Stapleton and my wife working at Fed Center. We have two elementary-age kids. I think Berkeley and that area would be a good compromise commute, but at this point in our life, we are not interested in living in 'urban' areas. (Please don't lecture - we just don't want to live that close to downtown.)

BVSD and CCSD are usually cited as the overall better school districts, but that puts one of us on the wrong side of the metro area for our commute.

Was thinking that South Westminster/Broomfield/Superior might be doable, since I could cut across I-270 and she could use I-76 and I-70 to get down to Lakewood. Although, I remember I-270 being a pain closer to I-70 interchange.

I am not familiar with North/West commutes from Centennial area. Would it be easier to go west on 470 for her and me north on 225??

Was thinking about northern Thorton - but remember that commute on I-25 between 120th and 36 interchange was pretty bad, and that wouldn't help either of us.

House price about $350K and a decent backyard is our goal.

Any advice/insights are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,396,224 times
You should consider that the new west transit line is opening in April 2013 with a station at that Federal Center, so you wife will have an easy commute from any areas and would not have to drive. Also, the east rail line is now under construction with a station in Stapleton and will open in 2016. So, I would pick a place to live that takes all those into consideration. Even if you are committed auto drivers, it is nice to have backup options in case of weather and your car is not working.

I would live in South Westminster, Arvada, Wheat Ridge, Lakewood. You can easily drive to the Federal Center from these locations on quick roads without taking the highways. What makes you think you have to take a highway to all locations when side roads can be faster and give you other quick alternatives if there is a backup.

Give your wife the easier commute by car to the Federal Center by living close and you take the highway, so live near to an I-70 entrance in the west suburbs in Jefferson County. There are great areas to live in all these areas with good Jeffco schools. All those other highways will still have to dump you into I-70 with more mileage and time.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 01-04-2013 at 12:52 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifgard View Post
Moving back to the area in the next few months. Lived in Westminster (2003-2007) when job was downtown and didn't mind the commute - 36 to I-25. Have commutes gotten worse in the past 6 years?

Am now stuck with myself working in Stapleton and my wife working at Fed Center. We have two elementary-age kids. I think Berkeley and that area would be a good compromise commute, but at this point in our life, we are not interested in living in 'urban' areas. (Please don't lecture - we just don't want to live that close to downtown.)

BVSD and CCSD are usually cited as the overall better school districts, but that puts one of us on the wrong side of the metro area for our commute.

Was thinking that South Westminster/Broomfield/Superior might be doable, since I could cut across I-270 and she could use I-76 and I-70 to get down to Lakewood. Although, I remember I-270 being a pain closer to I-70 interchange.

I am not familiar with North/West commutes from Centennial area. Would it be easier to go west on 470 for her and me north on 225??

Was thinking about northern Thorton - but remember that commute on I-25 between 120th and 36 interchange was pretty bad, and that wouldn't help either of us.

House price about $350K and a decent backyard is our goal.

Any advice/insights are appreciated.
I would look at CCSD for one reason: the person with the longer commute would be commuting against traffic and the sun. The person commuting to the Fed Center would have an easy commute across Denver on Hampden when going east to west in the morning and west to east in the afternoon.

Also, the West Line opens this year in April. Living in CCSD, a person could ride light rail all the way to work at the Fed Center. Since light rail does not yet go to Stapleton, that is not an option for the you.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 PM

19 posts, read 36,192 times
Thanks for input.

Should have added that both of us are required to drive for our jobs, so transit isn't an option.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 PM

8 posts, read 18,722 times
We are in nearly the same situation as you are. I will work in Stapleton and my wife will work very near the Federal Center.

We chose to live in Stapleton and bought a new house there since I work a 10 hour day and I currently have a long commute in Seattle. We have been watching the commute times on google maps and it looks like 30 minutes is the average for her commute. We are moving this month. We have been living in out in the woods for five years and are looking forward to living near downtown.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
I would look in Applewood and Green Mountain in Lakewood. Since there really isn't anything too suburban in the middle, you might as well live in the suburban area close to the Fed Center rather then both of you having long commutes from the northern or southern suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver