Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj104 View Post
I live in Chicago so I'm used to the snow, mountains not so much. Sounds like leisure driving with a compact car in the mountains may not be a good idea. Any other ideas for nice areas to take pictures, and possibly some wildlife viewing?
Either way im staying in the car...no hiking or snoe shoeing for me.
You'll be OK on I-70 unless a storm is actually in process. We came here from Champaign with a Ford Fiesta (old version) and a Chevy Camaro. We were able to drive up to the mountains w/o difficulty, usually took the Fiesta IIRC as it had FWD. The Chevy had RWD. Watch the weather forecasts. It's been pretty dry this winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times
Wink Closer in

Closer in, and more or less level, one could try Boulder with its lovely view of the Flat Irons from many locations in town. To drive somewhat closer to them one option would be at Chautauqua (9th & Baseline), being a collection of quaint residences, a conference center, and also a popular trailhead for hikes in this area. Another would be the NCAR complex, which from south Boulder is reached off US 36 via Table Mesa Drive. The striking buildings of this scientific abode are widely visible, as residing by themselves at a remove and above all else, close to the base of the Flat Irons. As such, it is a bit of an uphill drive to get there.

If acquainted with winter driving in the Midwest then little in Colorado should pose any great concerns, and with largely an absence of icy roads even seem easier. The same cautions per winter driving apply. As for the mountains, they may seem more intimidating than the reality will prove. If accustomed to navigating possible driveway inclines, one will have the basic principles: one would wish to maintain some momentum uphill, and if from a stop expect to have to coax one's vehicle back to this; and downhill, to remain in a lower gear if necessary, brake gently, and avoid excessive momentum when traction is low.

Another place one might visit is Eldorado Springs, nearby Boulder to the south. There is a state park beyond the small town one may not care to visit this time of year. So the principle attraction would be the setting within rock cliffs; it is a favored rock climbing area. Other than that perhaps not much to see, but the road that far is fairly level.

Even if not hiking, it would be worth exiting the vehicle on occasion, such as maybe visiting Pearl Street in Boulder.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default Weather changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj104 View Post
I live in Chicago so I'm used to the snow, mountains not so much. Sounds like leisure driving with a compact car in the mountains may not be a good idea. Any other ideas for nice areas to take pictures, and possibly some wildlife viewing?
Either way im staying in the car...no hiking or snoe shoeing for me.
aj, I lived in Naperville and worked in the Loop for about 18 months. Never been colder than that winter!

BUT---driving on the ice and snow in on those flatlands is NOT the same as driving in the mountains on the same, especially on I-70 at high speeds. And everyone talks about how the weather can change in a heartbeat where they live, but our first year in Colorado, on September the 5th we went to bed after spending the day in shorts and sleeveless shirts---and awoke to six inches of snow on the ground. Now it was gone by late afternoon, but rest assured that sudden, unexpected weather changes are more commonplace than anywhere I've lived in the states which includes most of the south, the midwest, the southwest, and California. You most likely will see some elk if you drive up to Bear Lake as they come down to lower altitudes (9000 ft, LOL) during the winter.

Plus, you'll be very surprised if you drive up just to Buffalo Overlook, how hard the engine on your car works to get you there---and if you get a 4 cylinder (hopefully no rental car companies are giving those out)---you'll be down to thirty-five mph with your foot on the gas pedal depressed to the floor.

I recommend that you drive south to Colorado Springs. Depending on where you are in Denver, it shouldn't take more than 1 1/2 hrs on a good day. Get someone to give you directions to Red Rocks State Park, or print them off your puter. You will love the drive. You'll go right by the Air Force Academy and see their football stadium about a mile or so away from I-25. You might even consider going onto the base if it's a weekday and getting directions to the huge grinder (old marine corps term for troop gathering spot--don't know what the AF calls it. If you get to that spot about 1100 hrs, {it's near their chapel), you can go see all 4000 of the troops muster for lunch. It's quite a ceremony to see all the squadrons march in what appears to be randomless order to the mess hall. Flag unfurling, band playing, formal presentations and saluting. My Dad (now passed) was an AF retiree and when I took him there years ago, he got tears in his eyes watching it.

Check at the gate with the guard to see if they will be holding the usual noon gathering--sometimes it cancelled because of weather, academic tests, or other reasons--but it is very enjoyable to witness. The chapel itself is a architectural beauty and worth some photos. Best of all, I believe it's all still free! And afterwards you can continue south to the exit for Red Rocks.

Have fun, drive safe, don't worry about traffic in Denver. It's horrible but will be a dream compared to Chicago proper!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 AM

11 posts, read 62,876 times
Thanks warensresden, good tips! Any other places to see around denver?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Default Correction

Another poster pointed out an error in my previous post regarding Red Rocks. The park in Coloraod Springs is actually called Garden of the Gods. Red Rocks is in Arizona. I've been to both (quite some time ago for each) and I got them switched, although some of the terrain features are similar.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:12 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Another poster pointed out an error in my previous post regarding Red Rocks. The park in Coloraod Springs is actually called Garden of the Gods. Red Rocks is in Arizona. I've been to both (quite some time ago for each) and I got them switched, although some of the terrain features are similar.
Red Rocks Mountain Park is in Morrison CO. It is the site of the very famous amphitheater/concert venue Red Rocks Entertainment Concerts and hiking area Historic Red Rocks | online history for this spectacular Colorado park

(the state park in AZ is Red Rock - no s)

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 62,876 times
Default Day trips from Denver?

I have a week in Denver (end of january) and am planning on taking a couple day or overnight trips. Aspen, Boulder, and RMNP are some of the places I'm considering. Any other suggestions? Im looking for nice little towns, coffee shops, wildlife and nature viewing.
Thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 11:55 AM

22 posts, read 53,525 times
I work in Boulder and live 10 minutes outside of it.

RMNP is a sight to see, and probably your best bet of wildlife. I moved here from the East Coast in May and have been impressed with each trip to the Park (bought the annual NP pass). My personal favorite part of RMNP is Trail Ridge Road, which its higher elevation sections are closed this time of year. But there are still tons of beautiful parts of the park. Estes Park, which you may pass through on the RMNP is a quaint quasi-tourist town, but with a good cookie shop called Grandma's Cookies. Online reviews only seem to be half-hearted but its had some great cookies on each pass through. They've even given me free cookies if the line is long...

Boulder proper is a neat town, but you'll be here when all the students are around; unless you're looking for that type of atmosphere. Just outside of Boulder to the immediate south (10 minutes) is Eldorado Canyon state park. I would suggest giving it a visit and reserve 2-5 hours for hiking around. I would personally recommend taking Rattlesnake Gulch Trail to the Continental Divide Overlook; you'll pass by the ruins (and some great views) of the old Crags Hotel. Or, tackling Eldorado Canyon Trail which is moderate to taxing hike with some nice elevation gain and general views of the surrounding nature.

Being a relatively new local, Breckenridge is a favorite spot of mine. Aside from the skiing part of it, I've enjoyed walking and exploring the main streets and the little shops scattered throughout. Lots of places for coffee, breakfast, or a bite to eat. The scenery won't disappoint. Avoid Breck on the weekends unless you're looking for the experience of having ski tourists around. The town will be a bit quieter on the weekdays.

Can't speak to Aspen - haven't made the trip yet. Aspen is likely your most expensive stop in regards to food/overnight.

As you head West on I-70 you'll pass by lots of small mining towns. They're all mostly of the old/run down nature but that in itself is part of their charm.

Hope this gets you started!

Quick summary: Go to Breck. Go to RMNP. Check out Eldorado State Park.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
You could also head south and check out the Great Sand Dunes and the San Luis Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver