Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Staying downtown. As I have had issues with night blindness, when I travel, I rely on trains, cabs, etc. So i am trying to keep it in Denver proper/just over the city limits..

Can anyone offer suggestions on good places to visit? I like exploring new places, plus sports and I intend to check the NHL schedule when it comes out, but I'm looking for suggestions only locals would know to offer (restaurants included).

I'll be there 6 nights, it is a strictly fun trip, as I have been visiting a few new cities/states each of the last few years, for similar reasons.

In advance, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:42 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
In the Denver Index of Key Threads you'll find topics on all sorts of food, and one very key thread on Car Free Living in Denver that deals with public transport which is pretty good in Denver.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In the Denver Index of Key Threads you'll find topics on all sorts of food, and one very key thread on Car Free Living in Denver that deals with public transport which is pretty good in Denver.
Thanks!!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:28 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Just explore our public transit site, RTD RTD Here is a page for visitors
RTD

Downtown has a free mall shuttle that will take you all through the area and it crosses bus terminals and rail lines. RTD

From Downtown on Public transit you can get to many places, quick and easy. For example, you can take an express bus, along the highway to Boulder from Market Street Station RTD

I would suggest that you take advantage of getting a day pass RTD. I would suggest a 5 day pass which will cover all the routes FiveDay Pass 2013 It can be bought downtown at Market Street Station or Civic Center Station, both on the Free Mall route. You can get a free map at these locations. You will see Union Station on many maps but that is blocked off for major construction. We are now building a rail transit station that will accommodate many new rail lines that are now under construction.

Livecontent

Old 01-13-2013, 11:03 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Right now you are in a little bind regarding the Avalanche. According to the schedule released Jan. 12, the Avalanche have home games on Sunday, March 24, and Saturday March 30. You should be able to hit one of those games if you are here for six nights.

If you are a hockey fan, the CHL has a team that plays at the Denver Coliseum, which is near downtown. The regular season ends March 23 (on the road), but you might be able to catch a playoff game the week you are here.

If you are a basketball fan though, the Nuggets play at home on Saturday, March 23, and Friday, March 29.

You will be a week too early for the Colorado Rockies, who play their opening homestand the first weekend in April.

As for uniquely Colorado things to do, I would suggest:

The Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant. It has served steaks and wild game since 1893, and it owns Colorado Liquor License #1. It is kind of pricey, but very unique, plus it is next to a light rail stop.

I also like Las Delicias at 19th Ave and Pennsylvania for good Mexican food downtown, Los Cabos at 15th St and Champa (1 block from 16th St Mall) for good Peruvian seafood, The Imperial at 431 S. Broadway for good Chinese food, Wyncoop Brewery at 18th St and Wyncoop St for a good brewpub (but there are several in lower downtown) and Wahoo's fish tacos at 15th St and Blake for great and different fast casual food.

More good food includes restaurants on Federal Blvd (served by the 31 bus). The street itself is pretty gritty and unremarkable, but Westword Magazine named it Denver's best restaurant street for its selection of very good Vietnamese, Chinese, and Mexican restaurants. You can even find a few Louisiana-style restaurants as well.

Westword Magazine annually releases it Best of Denver for food, entertainment, and more. Check it out, it can give you a great insight to the city.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
One more thing: I am a huge fan of the Denver Art Museum, History Colorado Center, and the Capitol Building downtown. Plan a visit. The zoo and the Museum of Nature and Science (complete with IMAX and observatory) in City Park, just east of downtown, are also great fun.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:21 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Staying downtown. As I have had issues with night blindness, when I travel, I rely on trains, cabs, etc. So i am trying to keep it in Denver proper/just over the city limits..

Can anyone offer suggestions on good places to visit? I like exploring new places, plus sports and I intend to check the NHL schedule when it comes out, but I'm looking for suggestions only locals would know to offer (restaurants included).

I'll be there 6 nights, it is a strictly fun trip, as I have been visiting a few new cities/states each of the last few years, for similar reasons.

In advance, Thanks.
This is a fun trip, and you're not going to the mountains at all? Even if you don't ski (which you should take a lesson and try it if never done before), there are plenty of things to do in places like Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, etc. On the front range, you could take side day trips and see Boulder and Colorado Springs. 6 days and nights is way too much time to spend in just Denver proper. Unless if you're from small town Nebraska or something and Denver is the "big city" to you, you're not going to find much in Denver itself that you can't get anywhere else.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
History Colorado Center,
I was there recently and disappointed. To me, it seems to geared towards children.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Right now you are in a little bind regarding the Avalanche. According to the schedule released Jan. 12, the Avalanche have home games on Sunday, March 24, and Saturday March 30. You should be able to hit one of those games if you are here for six nights.

If you are a hockey fan, the CHL has a team that plays at the Denver Coliseum, which is near downtown. The regular season ends March 23 (on the road), but you might be able to catch a playoff game the week you are here.

If you are a basketball fan though, the Nuggets play at home on Saturday, March 23, and Friday, March 29.

You will be a week too early for the Colorado Rockies, who play their opening homestand the first weekend in April.

As for uniquely Colorado things to do, I would suggest:

The Buckhorn Exchange Restaurant. It has served steaks and wild game since 1893, and it owns Colorado Liquor License #1. It is kind of pricey, but very unique, plus it is next to a light rail stop.

I also like Las Delicias at 19th Ave and Pennsylvania for good Mexican food downtown, Los Cabos at 15th St and Champa (1 block from 16th St Mall) for good Peruvian seafood, The Imperial at 431 S. Broadway for good Chinese food, Wyncoop Brewery at 18th St and Wyncoop St for a good brewpub (but there are several in lower downtown) and Wahoo's fish tacos at 15th St and Blake for great and different fast casual food.

More good food includes restaurants on Federal Blvd (served by the 31 bus). The street itself is pretty gritty and unremarkable, but Westword Magazine named it Denver's best restaurant street for its selection of very good Vietnamese, Chinese, and Mexican restaurants. You can even find a few Louisiana-style restaurants as well.

Westword Magazine annually releases it Best of Denver for food, entertainment, and more. Check it out, it can give you a great insight to the city.
Thanks for all of the info. I did spot the March 30 game - funny it is the Nashville Preds, and I'll likely go, but wait a while to get tickets via Stub Hub. I want to make sure the NHL stays with its first posted schedule.

I especially appreciate the non chain restaurant tips.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
This is a fun trip, and you're not going to the mountains at all? Even if you don't ski (which you should take a lesson and try it if never done before), there are plenty of things to do in places like Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, etc. On the front range, you could take side day trips and see Boulder and Colorado Springs. 6 days and nights is way too much time to spend in just Denver proper. Unless if you're from small town Nebraska or something and Denver is the "big city" to you, you're not going to find much in Denver itself that you can't get anywhere else.
I'll check it out, thanks. I took a tour guide day trip from Scottsdale, Az to the Canyon 2 months ago, so surely similar companies do stuff going from Denver to the cities you mentioned. I know we have some in Nashville who visit our attractions guiding tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver