U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM

98 posts, read 621,468 times

Advertisements

We are on the fence about buying a very expensive fixer upper type house so we can be in Cherry Creek or Littleton schools or buying a newer, bigger house for less that is in Douglas County schools. Although many of the Douglas County schools have great reviews on education sites, most of the people I talk with who know teachers in the district or who work in the district say morale is low and things are really getting bad. Does anyone here have kids in Cherry Creek or Douglas county elementary schools? What are your experiences? Can you name specific elementary schools you like or don't like? I want this to be our final move so I really want to be careful about finding the right area!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,905,550 times
Full Disclosure: I teach in Cherry Creek Schools.

Here is a thread about Douglas County School District.

It is a good school district, but it does have a teacher morale problem. I know many teachers who would like to bail out, but they cannot afford to do so. The school board and the superintendent have been pushing a pro-voucher agenda for the past few years, and the voters have consistently failed to increase any funding for schools, even though it is the richest county in the state.

I don't know if I would put my young child into the district as the 10-year outlook is uncertain.

Littleton schools are excellent, especially Arapahoe HS.

Here is another school rating site.

What I (personally) believe to be the most important factor is the college readiness category. This measures the percentage of students who go to college who need to re-take high school level courses.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM

40 posts, read 75,738 times
I lived in Douglas County and one of the main reasons we left were the schools, I would definitely go to Littleton or Cherry Creek over Douglas county. We ended up in Evergreen which has great schools, but it was between here and the Arapahoe High School area.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM

10,910 posts, read 29,400,922 times
Perception is not reality. I chose Douglas County to live and work 16 years ago. I happily send my daughter to Mountain Vista. Dougco recently "found" an accounting error. Lone Tree Voice: News

https://www.dcsdk12.org/BusinessServ...ency/index.htm

There are always going to be unhappy teachers, and they seem to be quite vocal.

I do not think things are getting bad, all school districts had budget cuts. The larger school districts felt it the most.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM

98 posts, read 621,468 times
Thanks for the info. I am going to trust my instincts and go with Cherry Creek or Littleton Schools. My real estate agent had a good point. You can always rehab an ugly house and make it pretty but you can't really rehab a bad education. Just can't take that risk with my kids, especially when there are other options! Guess we will be spending more than I ever thought possible on a fixer upper. That is really sad about Douglas County. I hope they can get it together soon and figure it out!!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM

10,910 posts, read 29,400,922 times
Now methinks you are a troll. Real Estate brokers are trained not to give their opinion on matters not material to the property.

Unless we are experts on education we should refer our clients to do their own due diligence like the Assessment - CSAP / TCAP or greatschools.net

If you are not a troll, good on your agent for making you spend more, so s/he get paid more.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM

19 posts, read 31,810 times
Default Don't overthink it

Cherry Creek and DougCo schools are the best the state has to offer (not to say that necessarily means "excellent") because they are in weathly areas.

Wealthier parents means higher than average IQs and higher than average IQ children. Combine this with the fact that weathlier parents tend to value education more and check in on their kids progress with more regularity. They also tend to have a greater percentage of households with one parent working leaving a parent (usually still mom) with more time to pay attention to Johnny or Sally.

I think you will find little to any difference between the average Cherry Creek or DougCo teacher. They both will scream bloody murder if you try and take some from their rice bowl. That said, who is going to be the primary determinant of whether your kid is smart or not - your kid. Secondly, YOU!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM

4,902 posts, read 9,669,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Full Disclosure: I teach in Cherry Creek Schools.

Here is a thread about Douglas County School District.

It is a good school district, but it does have a teacher morale problem. I know many teachers who would like to bail out, but they cannot afford to do so. The school board and the superintendent have been pushing a pro-voucher agenda for the past few years, and the voters have consistently failed to increase any funding for schools, even though it is the richest county in the state.

I don't know if I would put my young child into the district as the 10-year outlook is uncertain.

Littleton schools are excellent, especially Arapahoe HS.

Here is another school rating site.

What I (personally) believe to be the most important factor is the college readiness category. This measures the percentage of students who go to college who need to re-take high school level courses.
I have to disagree with you. My husband recently retired as a teacher with the Cherry Creek School District (was there for almost twenty years). Virtually every school bond issue in the 50-year history of the District was approved by the voters. He can remember one time in his twenty years when the voters actually voted against an issue, and the next election cycle that same issue was approved.

Additionally, neither the current school board nor the superintendent are in favor of the voucher system.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM

12,279 posts, read 8,089,918 times
I send my daughter to a Douglas County elementary school and it is working out great. The district does seem to have an agenda though that isn't sitting well with a lot residents and teachers alike.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,905,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I have to disagree with you. My husband recently retired as a teacher with the Cherry Creek School District (was there for almost twenty years). Virtually every school bond issue in the 50-year history of the District was approved by the voters. He can remember one time in his twenty years when the voters actually voted against an issue, and the next election cycle that same issue was approved.

Additionally, neither the current school board nor the superintendent are in favor of the voucher system.
The Douglas County School Board and the Douglas County Superintendent are in favor of vouchers, not the CCSD school board/superintendent.

I might have been unclear in my earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or