U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 PM

6 posts, read 35,435 times
Default Denver vs Minneapolis

We are moving to Denver within the next year. We currently live in the Lake Minnetonka area of Minneapolis (western side). We are looking for a community that is like Minnetonka or Wayzata; what would be a compairable suburb in Denver? We currently live on the lake which we love, looking to replace that with a mountain view!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM

68,591 posts, read 57,229,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefind View Post
We are moving to Denver within the next year. We currently live in the Lake Minnetonka area of Minneapolis (western side). We are looking for a community that is like Minnetonka or Wayzata; what would be a compairable suburb in Denver? We currently live on the lake which we love, looking to replace that with a mountain view!
I don't know if there are many of us who know what Minnetonka/Wayzata are like. Perhaps you could describe what you want in different terms. Are you looking for a certain price range, home style, etc?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 PM

120 posts, read 297,070 times
Default Stay in Minnesota...if you can..

I'm from Minnesota and I miss the water..You will find nothing here that compares to that. The yuppies and -exicans have invaded Denver and it will never have the political/intellictual atmosphere of Minneapolis...

Old 10-19-2007, 09:29 PM

739 posts, read 2,035,979 times
you might try a search of the forum, this discussion/comparison has come up several times before. You may want to try that.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 PM

751 posts, read 58,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil45 View Post
I'm from Minnesota and I miss the water..You will find nothing here that compares to that. The yuppies and -exicans have invaded Denver and it will never have the political/intellictual atmosphere of Minneapolis...
I agree! Denver can be very bland and lacking in culture and excitement. I would not trade a house on Lake Minnetonka for any house in the Colorado mountains.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:42 PM

120 posts, read 297,070 times
Default P.S....I'm moving back to Minneapolis...

Because I miss it...bad weather and all! Downtown Minneapolis has more vibrantcy that DT Denver will ever have.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 35,435 times
Thanks for the responses. If you could do it all over again would (those of you who lived in Minneapolis) would you still have moved to Denver? We don't go downtown too often so that atmosphere isn't something that we would miss. Minnetonka and Wayzata are upper scale neighborhoods, not many families, lake community (which I know Denver wont have). Lots of little downtown shops throughout the little towns in the area.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:20 PM

68,591 posts, read 57,229,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefind View Post
Thanks for the responses. If you could do it all over again would (those of you who lived in Minneapolis) would you still have moved to Denver? We don't go downtown too often so that atmosphere isn't something that we would miss. Minnetonka and Wayzata are upper scale neighborhoods, not many families, lake community (which I know Denver wont have). Lots of little downtown shops throughout the little towns in the area.
Perhaps Boulder would be good for you, given your preferences.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 PM

348 posts, read 1,599,165 times
Default I'm from Minnesota

thefind,
I am from Minnesota & know the area you are talking about. Used to work in Minnetonka when I was in high school & know what kind of area you are looking for. Though I've only lived in CO a year & haven't moved to Denver (though I will be next month!) I think I know what areas you might like. The Denver forum is very helpful & you should find a lot of good threads here. I don't know why so many people on here who live in Denver complain about it being so bland, etc, etc..move to a new city then. I think Denver is a nice big city & we all know every big city can have their downsides & whatnot. Minneapolis, everyone says, is riddled with crime. Denver is too bland. You can't have it all.

Like the others said on here, you can't find many lakes--nothing like we have in MN. But we have beautiful mountains.

If I could do it all over again, no, I would not move back home. To me, MN is pretty boring & bland. I want to try living in Denver now & see how that goes. I think Colorado is a great place to live--that's why so many people flock to live here.

Based on what I know about the 2 areas, I would recommend for suburbs:
Westminster/Thornton
Broomfield
or:
Boulder like pittnurse said..that might be a good fit..
for Denver, I'd suggest the Cherry Creek area or Stapleton/Lowry area...

Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 AM

676 posts, read 1,854,401 times
It also depends on how long you will put up with as far as commute wise. There some communities in the foothills such as evergreen that are about 20-30 minutes to denver. As far as culture is concerned, we might not have the world class venues of NY or San Francisco but I think its a bit of a reach to classify the city as a whole bland and lacking in culture especially considering the investment of cultural facilities in the city such as the art museum expansion and the new contemporary art museum as well as the massive development going on in downtown, which is going to dramatically change the area downtown. Denver is not the biggest melting pot in the world but neither is minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver