U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,950 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating from Houston to Denver this summer and have been reading through this forum finding lots of great advice. One thing I haven't found through searching is how necessary it is to park cars in the garage in Colorado. Here in Texas very few people actually park in their garage regardless of neighborhood. In fact my garage is now my mancave/media/storage room. Both cars in the driveway, motorcycle and folding trailer make it inside the garage. Our previous truck didn't even fit in the garage so we didn't have a choice here.

Obviously it's a lot colder in Denver during the fall and winter and you can use basements for storage, so I'm wondering whether a people park in the garage or leave the cars out in the cold. I can think of good reasons to park inside in the cold. But is it necessary or preferable to find a 3-car garage in this situation? What do most people do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 PM

21,873 posts, read 23,139,610 times
All depends on how much you enjoy scraping ice off your windows while you wait for the car to heat up so your breath doesn't fog up the inside of your car.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:11 PM

47 posts, read 82,352 times
As long as you don't put your couch and fridge out front, it's not a big deal.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,921,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_grizzy View Post
My family and I will be relocating from Houston to Denver this summer and have been reading through this forum finding lots of great advice. One thing I haven't found through searching is how necessary it is to park cars in the garage in Colorado. Here in Texas very few people actually park in their garage regardless of neighborhood. In fact my garage is now my mancave/media/storage room. Both cars in the driveway, motorcycle and folding trailer make it inside the garage. Our previous truck didn't even fit in the garage so we didn't have a choice here.

Obviously it's a lot colder in Denver during the fall and winter and spring and you can use basements for storage, so I'm wondering whether a people park in the garage or leave the cars out in the cold. I can think of good reasons to park inside in the cold. But is it necessary or preferable to find a 3-car garage in this situation? What do most people do?
Parking in the driveway is 100% a Texas thing. I was shocked when I moved here (Austin) from Denver -- hardly anyone actually parks their cars in the garage here in TX because their garage is chock full of crap. Then, people in TX often have three cars (or more for whatever reason) so every suburban neighborhood street is littered with cars. I've never seen anything like it, honestly. Rather odd considering people also use their garages in the every other state/city I've lived in including warm weather areas like CA and GA.

If you have a basement, you do not need to store all that stuff in your garage, you should have ample room. One or two mornings of shoveling out your car/scraping your car will change your ways immediately. And your man cave as it currently exists will suddenly become a lot less appealing when it's 20 degrees out and you're accustomed to Houston temps.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Parking in the driveway is 100% a Texas thing. I was shocked when I moved here (Austin) from Denver -- hardly anyone actually parks their cars in the garage here in TX because their garage is chock full of crap. Then, people in TX often have three cars (or more for whatever reason) so every suburban neighborhood street is littered with cars. I've never seen anything like it, honestly. Rather odd considering people also use their garages in the every other state/city I've lived in including warm weather areas like CA and GA.

If you have a basement, you do not need to store all that stuff in your garage, you should have ample room. One or two mornings of shoveling out your car/scraping your car will change your ways immediately. And your man cave as it currently exists will suddenly become a lot less appealing when it's 20 degrees out and you're accustomed to Houston temps.
Yeah, we routed A/C and heat and insulated the garage to make the mancave bearable during the summer. It's a Texan's finished basement. It turned out to be really good for the family and was pretty inexpensive. I'm not planning on doing that in Denver though. We're looking at houses and trying to determine whether we can get away with 2-car garage and park one car outside or if we need to get 3-car to have room for motorcycle/trailer. I know people are going to look at us funny already for being from Texas, so I don't want to give the neighbors too much comedic material.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM

20,899 posts, read 39,162,901 times
Many HOAs require that cars be in the garage and the garage door closed unless working in the garage or on exterior of the house and property. Ours does that and also forbids overnight parking on the street (driveway is okay). The neighborhood really looks nice, instead of like a used car lot like our old home back in VA. All homes in our HOA have full basements and forbid backyard storage sheds unless they look just like the home, i.e., matching stucco.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 PM

674 posts, read 1,620,300 times
Quote:

I'm from Texas and I use my garage. LOL

The reason garages are full of crap in TX is because they don't have BASEMENTS!

We had a sizeable attic in our last Texas home, which left space for the car.

ETA: I LOVE basements.
And yes! When it's freezing outside you won't be spending much time in your man cave. LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 08:27 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,504,493 times
I think the biggest reason you will want to park in your garage is the hail storms. Its bad enough to have the hassle of roof replacement. I wouldn't want to have to replace my car every time the big hard stuff falls.

"Colorado Hail Statistics Colorado’s damaging hail season is considered
to be from mid-April to mid-August. Colorado’s
Front Range is located in the heart of "Hail Alley,"
which receives the highest frequency of large
hail in North America and most of the world, so
residents usually can count on three or four catastrophic (defined as at least $25 million in insured damage) hailstorms every year. In the last 10 years, hailstorms have caused more than $3 billion in insured damage in Colorado. As a result, up to one-half of your homeowners insurance premium may be going toward hail and wind damage costs. If you carry comprehensive coverage on your auto policy, hail damage is covered by almost all insurance companies. Comprehensive insurance is optional, but if you live in a hail prone area, the insurance industry recommends this coverage."
http://www.rmiia.org/Catastrophes_an...stics/Hail.asp

Last edited by mic111; 01-31-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,921,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
I'm from Texas and I use my garage. LOL
Well, that makes two of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
The reason garages are full of crap in TX is because they don't have BASEMENTS!
I think Texans must just accumulate more stuff perhaps, because they don't have basements in CA (where I'm from) and, for the most part, Californians park in their garages.

Probably more likely is that Texans love their super duper, extra heavy duty, gigantic, lone star, Texas edition trucks that don't fit in a garage, so at that point, why not just turn the garage into a storage unit?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Well, that makes two of us

I think Texans must just accumulate more stuff perhaps, because they don't have basements in CA (where I'm from) and, for the most part, Californians park in their garages.

Probably more likely is that Texans love their super duper, extra heavy duty, gigantic, lone star, Texas edition trucks that don't fit in a garage, so at that point, why not just turn the garage into a storage unit?
It could also be that Californians can't afford any more after paying for their house and taxes to fill up a garage with stuff.

But yeah, even our Nissan Frontier Crew Cab was a couple inches too long for our garage with large built-in work bench at the front. Any full-size crew cab truck or suburban (and there are a lot here) are too long for regular garages, not to mention trucks/SUVs with lift kits and roof racks being too tall. (Yes, the bigger in Texas stereotype is true in this case.)

I did appreciate the note on the hail damage. Didn't realize that about the Denver area. We get hail occasionally in Texas, but very infrequently in South Texas. Also I appreciated the note on the HOA requirements in certain neighborhoods. A little annoying by the sounds of it, but good to have the heads up.

From all the input, it looks like 3-car garage will probably be the way to go assuming the Jeep won't be too tall to fit. I prefer to not park a motorcycle or trailer inside the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver