Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM

975 posts, read 1,317,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
Your fiance' is dead wrong. Most of the neighborhoods surrounding downtown (five mile radius in any diretion) have affordable single-family houses (small bungalows) with very easy to commute to the central business district. Larger cities like New York, Chicago, and San Francisco do not afford this option, which makes Denver very special in this respect.
I don't know if I would call those neighborhoods affordable. There might be some stock left that is, but the neighborhoods are rapidly gentrifying and growing more expensive for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:29 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,069,938 times
I live in uptown and work downtown right on the 16th street mall. I walk to work, it's about a mile. When I first moved here I lived in the burbs up north and yes it did take me about an hour to get to work EACH WAY. It was awful. And I had to pay 170 a month to park my car at work. Denver isn't New York of course, but there can be some pretty brutal traffic in certain parts. Especially for me because I was coming from a small town with no significant traffic problems - compared to what I was used to Denver traffic is a nightmare. I really believe that the closer you can live to work the better. Unless I have absolutely no choice I will never spend 2 hours commuting again.

I moved here without a job. I applied for maybe 3 jobs before I moved with no luck...I didn't try very hard at all though, so I can't really complain. I had money saved that allowed me to move without having a job, so that's why I wasn't too worried. It's worth a shot if you have the time to apply for things because you never know. I would use your cover letter to explain your situation and that you will be moving soon and let them know if you're available to visit for an interview. At my current job we have a really nice video room setup and we interview candidates from all over the country that way. So a telephone or video interview may be an option.

Good luck!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 AM

6 posts, read 9,550 times
Thank you all so much for your input.

strawberrykiki, you were very helpful, especially because it sounds like we both came from small towns and had/have the same goal.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,093,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I don't know if I would call those neighborhoods affordable. There might be some stock left that is, but the neighborhoods are rapidly gentrifying and growing more expensive for the most part.
See the east side between downtown and Monaco. Bungalows can be had for the low $200k's.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:57 PM

48 posts, read 101,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
See the east side between downtown and Monaco. Bungalows can be had for the low $200k's.
West Denver could suit you as well. Outside of the Highlands area, from Berkeley and Sunnyside down south thru Sloans Lake to the Jefferson Park and Villa Park areas. You will find relatively afordable housing and decent access to bus lines. And the soon to be completed West Light Rail line will take you to Union Station in Denver, and to the Federal Center in Lakewood (Another fairly large employment base).

Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM

557 posts, read 806,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I live in uptown and work downtown right on the 16th street mall. I walk to work, it's about a mile. When I first moved here I lived in the burbs up north and yes it did take me about an hour to get to work EACH WAY. It was awful. And I had to pay 170 a month to park my car at work. Denver isn't New York of course, but there can be some pretty brutal traffic in certain parts. Especially for me because I was coming from a small town with no significant traffic problems - compared to what I was used to Denver traffic is a nightmare. I really believe that the closer you can live to work the better. Unless I have absolutely no choice I will never spend 2 hours commuting again.

I moved here without a job. I applied for maybe 3 jobs before I moved with no luck...I didn't try very hard at all though, so I can't really complain. I had money saved that allowed me to move without having a job, so that's why I wasn't too worried. It's worth a shot if you have the time to apply for things because you never know. I would use your cover letter to explain your situation and that you will be moving soon and let them know if you're available to visit for an interview. At my current job we have a really nice video room setup and we interview candidates from all over the country that way. So a telephone or video interview may be an option.

Good luck!
This! I took my address off my resume, but clearly outline in my cover letter that I am relocating (not "looking to relocate") and can be available within 2 weeks of a firm offer, etc. Make it sound like it's a done deal, and that you're just waiting for that offer to come through. I'd also clearly outline that you're not expecting relocation cost reimbursement (if you can afford to do so).

I am in a slightly similar situation in that I'm looking to relocate to Denver, but am still working on the transfer (some prospects starting to come together now though).

One of your best bets for finding employment while still living out of town? www.usajobs.gov I'm a current federal employee trying to get a transfer set up, so I literally check it and apply for jobs daily that are in my field. There is a large federal presence in Denver (and Lakewood), and they are constantly adding jobs to the Denver database, especially of the admin variety so I've noticed. Right now is kind of tricky though given the budget situation, but some agencies are still being allowed to move forward with hiring regardless of it. Others are listing positions, and creating candidate pools, but freezing the process until a solid determination on the budget is made going forward.

Create an account, upload a resume and cover letter, and just start applying like crazy to any that you find interesting and that meet your skill set. They won't hold it against you that you aren't local, unless it specifically states that there are candidate pool restrictions. And make sure that you closely follow and submit all of the "required documents" for each position. If you're missing anything, they won't ask for it. They'll just kick your application out.

Good luck, and hopefully we're both Denver residents soon!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 9,550 times
JD401 - Thank you for your reply and advice, and good luck to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver