U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:08 AM

150 posts, read 345,617 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a 4 day trip to Denver for a job interview and a condo hunt. I love Capitol Hill but it is typical city living, stately brick, well-kept houses and similiar houses in disrepair with transients on the porch right next door. The parking is horrendous, but my main concern is the direction this neighborhood is going in. I know the prices are going up, but how is the actual neighborhood doing? I fell in live with a condo on Pennsylvsania St. near 13th (under contract unfortunately)but walk down through to Colfax, a mere 1-2 blocks away, and it is serious inner city, with run down apartments and the standard "homeless" appearing people. What if anything is happening in this area (other than prices) and Uptown which is just on the other side of Colfax? Highlands area is nice but just that one small strip on 32nd that was lively? What are your thoughts on these neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM

459 posts, read 674,520 times
IMO East Colfax is trending up. Personally I like heading down Colfax every now and then as it is now, but I think it's only a matter of time before the blocks adjacent to Colfax become fully gentrified. My entire life that stretch has been steadily improving and it was pretty bad when I was a child (hence the South Park jokes about Colfax). Between the TIF that has brought some new developments on it, what I have seen planned from private developers for Colfax, and Colfax Corridor Connections (Transit corridor planning likely a streetcar) I think east Colfax between Broadway and Colorado is headed towards eventual yuppieville.

If Colfax seems too sketchy for you now try heading south of 13th towards Governors Park. You lose that urban economic diversity that is unsightly to some, but you still have an urban feel.

By that one small strip on 32nd do you mean 32nd and Lowell in West Highland? If so than yes that's pretty much it for West Highland. There's a bit more West Highland retail on 38th, but it isn't a lively stretch except for the cars speeding by. The other Highland neighborhood doesn't have centralized restaurants/retail, and has them more scattered about throughout the neighborhood on Boulder, Central, Tejon, Zuni, 33rd, 32nd, etc. but it seems more lively to me.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,654,801 times
Cap Hill is trending upwards IMO. It's the trendy neighborhood for young professionals. That said, rents are going through the roof and you don't get much for your money anymore. When I moved there in 2008, I had a nice 525 sq. ft. studio apartment for $525/mo. I believe the price of that has gone north $600/mo. Real estate is extremely pricey anywhere near downtown including Cap Hill, Uptown, Gov's Park, Golden Triangle, etc. If you can't afford it, you can do what all the other poor young people who must live in Denver do: bunk up with 2-4 roommates and live in a house rental.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times
All I've seen on E. Colfax over the past 8 years is improvement. They also changed the zoning (forgot what they call it, Main St. zoning?) so that all new development has to be in urban style, built right up to the street. Examples are the new Argonaut Liquor, new McDonalds (next to the cathedral), new Office Depot, new 1stBank, etc. And the new zoning allows for higher buildings, so you're seeing a few condo projects that look nice.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
All I've seen on E. Colfax over the past 8 years is improvement. They also changed the zoning (forgot what they call it, Main St. zoning?) so that all new development has to be in urban style, built right up to the street. Examples are the new Argonaut Liquor, new McDonalds (next to the cathedral), new Office Depot, new 1stBank, etc. And the new zoning allows for higher buildings, so you're seeing a few condo projects that look nice.
My concern about living on Colfax, especially if you're considering investing in property, is the traffic noise. I live right on Colorado Boulevard at 13th. The traffic noise is extremely annoying. Make sure you can cope with the noise before making any sort of investment off that road.

But I do agree, Colfax is only improving. The strip between Grant and Pennsylvania does need a facelift however.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:14 AM

6,071 posts, read 8,363,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
I just got back from a 4 day trip to Denver for a job interview and a condo hunt. I love Capitol Hill but it is typical city living, stately brick, well-kept houses and similiar houses in disrepair with transients on the porch right next door. The parking is horrendous, but my main concern is the direction this neighborhood is going in. I know the prices are going up, but how is the actual neighborhood doing? I fell in live with a condo on Pennsylvsania St. near 13th (under contract unfortunately)but walk down through to Colfax, a mere 1-2 blocks away, and it is serious inner city, with run down apartments and the standard "homeless" appearing people. What if anything is happening in this area (other than prices) and Uptown which is just on the other side of Colfax? Highlands area is nice but just that one small strip on 32nd that was lively? What are your thoughts on these neighborhoods?
Inner city? Are you joking? I live in Uptown and I take Colfax to Colorado all the time to get to my gym, the grocery store, etc. Colfax isn't the nicest part of town, but it's far from an inner city slum. It's definitely on the up IMO. It's my understanding that this part of town USED to be a lot worse than it is now. I remember watching South Park before moving out here and hearing all the jokes about Colfax. Really, it isn't that bad. I probably wouldn't walk around by myself at night, but I really wouldn't do that in any part of the city.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,456,728 times
Capitol Hill will always have transient issues for as long as the City of Denver ignores its homeless problem.

However, I will say that the neighborhood completely changes below 12th Avenue. You will find better living (and parking) in the south section of the neighborhood.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,274,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
My concern about living on Colfax, especially if you're considering investing in property, is the traffic noise. I live right on Colorado Boulevard at 13th. The traffic noise is extremely annoying. Make sure you can cope with the noise before making any sort of investment off that road.

But I do agree, Colfax is only improving. The strip between Grant and Pennsylvania does need a facelift however.
True, it would be noisy having a condo that overlooks Colfax, but that's city living. I don't think it would bother me personally, but I'm the type of person who likes to be in the middle of things.

It seems like the stretch from the Capitol heading east for 3 or 4 blocks is still rather dumpy. I think some of those businesses have been there for decades. You'd think with all the high-paid workers within walking distance, someone would cater to them and open decent businesses.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:51 AM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
I only know of it as the name of the neighborhood. I know it is east of the Capitol, straddles Colfax, has numbered streets, is not at all hilly, and is the place most mentioned in CU-Denver literature for where nearby student housing may be found. It's probably too bohemian for my taste. I'd probably be living in Highlands Ranch and driving in. I don't like older housing stock.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
True, it would be noisy having a condo that overlooks Colfax, but that's city living. I don't think it would bother me personally, but I'm the type of person who likes to be in the middle of things.

It seems like the stretch from the Capitol heading east for 3 or 4 blocks is still rather dumpy. I think some of those businesses have been there for decades. You'd think with all the high-paid workers within walking distance, someone would cater to them and open decent businesses.
Well they did open up a couple bars over there. One was called Brothers Brewery and Bar I think. It didn't last very long though. That was surprising, because they always had great beer specials. I think the other one is called Prohibition, and that's off of Pennsylvania if my memory serves me right.

When I first moved here on Colorado, I didn't mind so much. But now it seems to bother me more and more. Maybe it's because I'm thinking about it too much or I've just gotten old at 27 . I can't seem to operate anymore without a fan going for some white noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or