Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM

38 posts, read 86,974 times

Advertisements

I have found more then enough good information from these forums and I know visiting Denver again would answer a lot of my questions but the hard part is actually finding the time to make a 1700 mile trip from the east coast.

My girlfriend and me are dead set on moving to Denver from Roanoke, VA within the next year. We like south western VA a lot and feel that it has many of the same qualities of life that the Denver area has to offer such as the mountains, four seasons, nice weather, and a fairly laid back way of life all of which we'd want in a city.

What we lack here in Roanoke is the job opportunities a metropolitan city such as Denver has to offer along with the sports teams, the night life, good music, good eats etc. etc. We feel the same as many others on this board that Denver is the perfect balance of big city living along with the ability to escape the chaos of city life with a short drive to the west. (2cents: Im an HVAC technician and she has her masters in education and is a 4th grade teacher)

Now what we are looking for is a nice simi quiet neighborhood with close proximity to the big city. I want to live close enough that we can sneak into the city to catch a game or a drink and bite to eat but not so close that I have to sacrifice a front yard for it. I gues what I'm saying is we are looking for a family oriented area just outside. We also have a Jack Russell terrier who needs room to run and play fetch. We've looked at the capitol hill, five points, lodo districts but feel that although we are still young (26 & 24) they may be a bit urban for our taste.

Would the neighborhoods just to the west of I-25 be more along the lines of what we are looking for?

I know this horse has been beat to death and I hope to get out there soon but just trying to ease my mind for the time being thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Just to the west (or rather northwest) of I-25 is Highlands. I believe a regular poster HighlandsGal has posted something about it, and she said she does live there. Nice neighborhood, and you definitely CAN have a front yard there, as well as walk to downtown from some parts of the neighborhood.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
I think you expressed well what makes Denver seem attractive to outsiders.

But one quick question? Why would you want a front yard? To my knowledge, people don't use front yards. They only use back yards.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Yes I live in the Highlands with my boyfriend and dog. There are definitely houses for sale and rent here, with both front and back yards! A lot of the lots are fenced front and back as well, which would be great for our dog who is a runner

Right now we live in a loft building, which is not the greatest for our dog but we are saving up money for a house in this area. It is great -- nice mix of families and singles, with a whole range of living options. It is close to downtown, yet still has a neighborhood feel to it of its own. Check it out -- lots available on Craigslist at the moment

Old 10-24-2007, 12:19 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,476 times
I love the Highlands. I currently live by Coors but would love to live in the highlands next. Such a cute nice area!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I think you expressed well what makes Denver seem attractive to outsiders.

But one quick question? Why would you want a front yard? To my knowledge, people don't use front yards. They only use back yards.
so the kids can play with the neighborhood kids. to relax on the porch and be 10 feet from the street because they look beautiful all green and full of trees and flowers. So you have somewhere yo put your Halloween and Xmas decorations.
Backyards are great for BBQs and gatherings but nothing beats a nice breezy porch in the summertime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver