Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 02:08 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
On the other hand, Mexican food in ... Connecticut really sucks.
I had "Mexcian" food in New Hampshire. Once. The red sauce was ... I was not expecting great Tex-Mex, but when your brain thinks it is about to taste something similar to Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce and you actually experience Ragu Marinara Sauce, the shock was almost too much for my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Lucky Pie in LoDo, excellent pizza and good brew too. I'm a native Bostonian so I understand the OP's frustration, but having visited Denver a number of times, this joint is the first memorable place I've eaten at in Denver and highly reccommend it. It's got mostly good reviews on urbanspoon and yelp as well.

Lucky Pie |

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-18-2013 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,602 times
Pizza-angst posts puzzle me. And yet they continue to pop up.

Those from a "pizza mecca" complain about the offerings in a non-pizza mecca area... (which - newsflash - equals 99% of the country). There are two pizza meccas -- Chicago and the greater NYC area, which includes areas close to NYC neighboring states.

They ask for recommendations for 'decent, tolerable, okay, average' pizza in their new home.

The helpers come in and eagerly share their recommendations.

The pizza mecca peeps p*ss on those recommendations and figuratively pick apart everything that is wrong about said pizza and pitch insults left and right, pointing out that clearly everyone has a different pizza-measuring-stick and the non-pizza mecca inhabitants clearly have no cultivated pizza pallet. Akin to your 'tolerable' is not MY tolerable. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

The pizza mecca peeps complain some more but don't seem to make the correlation that they now live in a non-pizza mecca place.

Puzzling.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
On the other hand, Mexican food in Chicago, New York, and Connecticut really sucks.

I guess it all balances out.
I've had great Mexican food in New York.

Here, not so much.

I'm hoping it was an anomaly, but, last time I went out for Mexican here and ordered something with green chile sauce, what I got was nothing anywhere near approaching green.

And I am saying this as someone who has recently moved here from Las Cruces, NM. where they know green.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:42 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Okay, now, back to PIZZA.

I like pizza, some more than others, but I"ll never understand why some people get so intense about good vs not so good.

If the pizza is the worst thing one finds about Denver, then Denver must be doing pretty good, eh...
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:46 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Okay, now, back to PIZZA.

I like pizza, some more than others, but I"ll never understand why some people get so intense about good vs not so good.

If the pizza is the worst thing one finds about Denver, then Denver must be doing pretty good, eh...
Pizza is far from the worst thing about Denver for me.

I am very happy to have found good pizza here. It makes the other stuff more bearable.

And maybe that is the point of the pizza-lovers threads.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:49 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
When Westworld puts Marco's pizza as a top ten pizza choice (coal ..er I mean Wood Fired Pizza) then you know that perhaps Denver doesn't know. . .or haven't tasted good pizza?

The first time Yelp ever really let me down was the recommendation for Buenos Aires pizza (not a step above the cafeteria soft stuff they serve here at work. . but twice as expensive).

Anyone from a Pizza mecca (Chicago, New York, or Connecticut) find anything tolerable here in Denver?
Try Walter's Pizzeria in Uptown. It's on par with Chicago style pizza, IMO.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:50 PM

356 posts, read 624,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Pizza is far from the worst thing about Denver for me.

I am very happy to have found good pizza here. It makes the other stuff more bearable.

And maybe that is the point of the pizza-lovers threads.
You read into all that on a post about pizza?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:55 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
Wyman's - Chicago style
Beau Jo's - Colorado style
Fat Sully's - New York Style

These are, IMO, the best in town.

Heck, even Black Jack isn't bad for your typical carry out pizza.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,166,398 times
I think everyone has their own style of pizza that they think is the best, and when you relocate, you often end up having to adapt to the local style (if there is one). I myself grew up with pizza from central Ohio. Masseys was my favorite. Thin crust with cornmeal on the bottom, lots of pepperoni that is curled up and slightly burned on the edges, pizza cut into strips instead of triangles. I would not expect people from other areas of the country to think it was the 'best'. If anyone finds Ohio-style pizza out here in Colorado anywhere, I would love to hear about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver